Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

[quote=Futuremauian;31852655]
Quote:

You assume a lot.
I've taught World History for 32 years, and have visited more than half of the countries in the world, most of them repeatedly (China 3 times). In 1978, I was one of the first foreigners to visit China on a tourist visa. I don't get my history from CNN/New York Times. I have a degree in the subject and read scholarly articles, regularly.
If you ever visit Tibet, you will see what I am talking about. There are anti-riot fences everywhere for crowd control, and a huge Chinese military presence on the streets of Lhasa, even at the temples. China is resettling Han Chinese to Tibet in massive numbers. Soon there will be fewer Tibetans than Chinese there.
I didn't say that it was all bad, either. China has done some great things for Tibet. My point was that the Tibetans don't want them there, and it's not just the Dali Lama and a handful of his followers either. Every time riots break out (annually) China closes Tibet to outsiders to prevent news about repressive measures from leaking out. If you believe most Tibetans don't want independence, you've drunk the Kool-Aid.
I don't believe Tibet will ever be independent again. In another 50 years, it will be just one more Chinese province, with a quaint ethnic minority. Just more globalization.
It does seem telling that access for visitors to Tibet is very restricted. But yeah, I think this is what I'm worried about. China doesn't have to do it this way but I guess they still are. Of course I'm not saying people from the east of China shouldn't move there at all, but the massive resettlement schemes. But you're right, unless the PRC collapses or there's a 'civil war' or war or independence (of course the Tibetans would need external aid) it probably won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:

You assume a lot.
I've taught World History for 32 years, and have visited more than half of the countries in the world, most of them repeatedly (China 3 times). In 1978, I was one of the first foreigners to visit China on a tourist visa. I don't get my history from CNN/New York Times. I have a degree in the subject and read scholarly articles, regularly.
If you ever visit Tibet, you will see what I am talking about. There are anti-riot fences everywhere for crowd control, and a huge Chinese military presence on the streets of Lhasa, even at the temples. China is resettling Han Chinese to Tibet in massive numbers. Soon there will be fewer Tibetans than Chinese there.
I didn't say that it was all bad, either. China has done some great things for Tibet. My point was that the Tibetans don't want them there, and it's not just the Dali Lama and a handful of his followers either. Every time riots break out (annually) China closes Tibet to outsiders to prevent news about repressive measures from leaking out. If you believe most Tibetans don't want independence, you've drunk the Kool-Aid.
I don't believe Tibet will ever be independent again. In another 50 years, it will be just one more Chinese province, with a quaint ethnic minority. Just more globalization.
It is not really "China is resetting Han Chinese...", but Han Chinese move their to do business voluntarily.
I don't want to sound politically incorrect, but the truth is Han Chinese are usually much more hardworking than ethnic minorities (due to their culture and social status etc.) and they seek every opportunity...

In Xinjiang, some Uyghurs are even too "lazy" to pick the cotton and they have to hire immigrant workers from other parts of China (sounds like Mexicans in the US huh?), though Uyghurs are unemployed.

I don't blame them though. Many people in the world do not want to work 10 hours a day for a "better life". It just happens that many Chinese do.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
The Postman & Bettafish, great posts! I enjoy reading the thoughts of others when they provide insight that I haven't considered.
Thank you.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,707 times
Quote:

You assume a lot.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM

183 posts, read 295,393 times
Chinese people wear western clothes, live in western buildings, and adopt a lot of western ideologies too... All Chinese are forced to learn English as well.
food population show respect where its due
dear sir would you be kind enough to enlighten me about the nature of indian and chinese relations and its historical flow if its not a bother that is
amen to that
the but being as long as you are not hungry yourselves then history and values come into play if you know what ı mean

Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 PM

reason I asked such a question is I found the sources that were named sources to be well a bit embellishing 2 of the biggest countries in the world they have so much in common historically that is and they have been very chummy does not add up

Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM

the popular notion is that the chinese are the all knowing wise ancient mystic warriors and the indians are a great civilisation but more serene and peaceful because of being the birth place of buddhism (which is humor at its finest considering that indian hand to hand combat weapons are more suited to close quarter combat) but I digress they have cheaper work force than my country so uncle to them really

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeGreene View Post
do you know hot Chinese travel point? maybe you can find it on chinatouradvisors
What does this mean?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
If Tibet is free and liberated how come there is a heavy military presence in the capital since it been supposed to be 50 years since Chinese liberated Tibet? How come there is also a constant military presence at Chinese Liberation statues there? Are all Chinese cities like that with the constant heavy military presence?

Tibet Oppression in 2009 - YouTube

Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 AM

40 posts, read 56,751 times
Well, i thought China claimed almost every country in asia under them?
Did the word CHINA exist before 20c? Just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia