U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 AM
 
138 posts, read 665,555 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

South Korean:
Man=173.7 cm (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in)

Woman= 161.1 cm (5 ft 3 1⁄2 in)

Chinese:
Man=172.1 cm (5 ft 8 in)

Woman=160.1 cm (5 ft 3 in)

Japanese:
Man=170.7 cm (5 ft 7 in)

Woman=158 cm (5 ft 2 in)

Singaporean:
Man=170.6 cm (5 ft 7 in)

Woman=160 cm (5 ft 3 in)

Thai and Laotian:
Man=170.3 cm (5 ft 7 in)

Woman=159 cm (5 ft 2 1⁄2 in)

Mongolian:
Man=168.4 cm (5 ft 6 1⁄2 in)

Woman=157.7 cm (5 ft 2 in)

Malaysian:
Man=164.7 cm (5 ft 5 in)

Woman=153.3 cm(5 ft 1⁄2 in)

Cambodian:
Man=No data

Woman=152.4 cm (5 ft 0 in)

Vietnamese:
Man=162.1 cm (5 ft 4 in)

Woman=152.2 cm (5 ft 0 in)

Filipino:
Man=163.4 cm (5 ft 4 1⁄2 in)

Woman=151.7 cm (4 ft 11 1⁄2 in)

Indonesian:

Man=158 cm (5 ft 2 in)

Woman=147 cm (4 ft 10 in)

Source: Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 
Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
 
102 posts, read 330,008 times
Reputation: 35
No surprises except two. I thought Thai would be shorter and expect Philipino to be taller.
 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
9 posts, read 167,631 times
Reputation: 17
I guess I'm lucky, I'm Vietnamese and I'm 5'10"
 
Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,759,218 times
Reputation: 2833
That sounds about right. Also keep in mind in many Asian countries there's a large gap between young and old, which skews older results for say China. In Vietnam, in my experience though, even the young are pretty short.

In terms of countries i've visited:

China (north more so than south, noticeable difference)
Taiwan
Singapore/Thailand
Malaysia
Sri Lanka
Vietnam

would be the order of height
 
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,759,218 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien Lee View Post
No surprises except two. I thought Thai would be shorter and expect Philipino to be taller.
Keep in mind the samples aren't always that representative. Thailand also has more Chinese ancestry. People in Bangkok are definitely taller than they are in Vietnam on average (more chubby people too, Thai food is oilier/fattier), and even people in Hanoi I found are taller than those in HCM. Filipinos, Indonesians, Malays are well known to be short but it may be a class difference. Most of the Filipinos here who are well off enough to study here are average height (and more Chinese looking) while most of the Filipino maids and stuff I see in Singapore and Malaysia often are under 5 feet and look different.
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,996,030 times
Reputation: 805
I don't see so much Filipino men that are short. Maybe women yes ( the lower class ) but with men, I noticed many stand atleast 5'7 tall.
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,202,936 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Keep in mind the samples aren't always that representative. Thailand also has more Chinese ancestry. People in Bangkok are definitely taller than they are in Vietnam on average (more chubby people too, Thai food is oilier/fattier), and even people in Hanoi I found are taller than those in HCM. Filipinos, Indonesians, Malays are well known to be short but it may be a class difference. Most of the Filipinos here who are well off enough to study here are average height (and more Chinese looking) while most of the Filipino maids and stuff I see in Singapore and Malaysia often are under 5 feet and look different.
I have to say this, the people in more developed cities like Jakarta, Bandung and Surabaya are pretty tall compared to region like Papua or Sulawesi......

prosperity also plays role in height i think, because those remote area tend to be much less developed than Java.... but the younger generation of this day are definitely taller.
 
Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,759,218 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I have to say this, the people in more developed cities like Jakarta, Bandung and Surabaya are pretty tall compared to region like Papua or Sulawesi......

prosperity also plays role in height i think, because those remote area tend to be much less developed than Java.... but the younger generation of this day are definitely taller.
Diet/prosperity is only half the story. No matter how westernised their diet, a typical full Austronesian (not Polynesian though) is still going to be significantly shorter than a Northern European.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 PM
JL
 
7,376 posts, read 12,123,038 times
Reputation: 7240
I have to agree with this info. Vietnamese, Filipino, and Indonesians are pretty short. The Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese are the taller of the bunch.
 
Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: In the heights
23,713 posts, read 24,813,184 times
Reputation: 12614
Sounds about right. The comment about the generation gap for height also rings true for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top