Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times

Advertisements

There were also many Filipino men who got married to Mexican women before World War II as there weren't so many Filipino women emigrating to the US at that time.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Cassandra 'Cassie' Ventura

Jasmine Villegas

Melinda Lira (American Idol 3 Finalist)

Arianny Celeste
Girl 1 and girl 2 look very latina.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Marta Lili Rosales Lopez from Mexico, She has Filipino descent
She came from a place where most Filipinos migrated during the Galleon Trading.

Daniela Cosio de Jesus

^some Mexicans confirmed she got Filipino descent from her father side

Guadalupe Gomez Maganda

^Mexican Politician from Guerrero, Mexico

A Mexican Restaurant mixed Filipino Adobo 'Adobo Burrito'

The Atayde, I know is Filipino who has Mexican descent (Migrated during the Galleon)

^he is the one with the long hair

Aaron Atayde

Verona Masongsong Great-Grandparents from
father side is Filipino (Great-Grandfather) and Mexican (Great-Grandmother)

Verona Masongsong really has a native Filipino surname

Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Verona Masongsong really has a native Filipino surname
yeah, she got Filipino native surname as well as Guadalupe Gomez Maganda - Bermeo. Their native Filipino surname is Maganda.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I've travelled to countries all over Asia, but on a trip to the Philippines it really struck me how similar Filipino culture and mentality is more similar to Latin America than it is to Asia. (I guess 400 years of strict Spanish rule will do that to you.)

I've seen several threads about food, and last names and religion. I was expecting all this. But I wasn't expecting the nuances that i found.

Some unfortunate similarities:
-Philippines has a crime rate that is on par with most latin american countries, very high for an Asian country.
-The types and styles of crime are much more similar to latin american countries. Crime sindicates, schemes, etc. (even the style of kidnappings is the same)
-The mentality regarding birth control reminds me of Mexico 20-30 years ago.
-Both countries are used to exporting labor to other countries... in the case of the Philippines, it's all over the world, in the case of Mexico, it's just to the U.S.
- Here's one that I thought was most unfortunate: Social pressures prevent nimble and intelligent people from moving up, because any step up in socioeconomic strata equates helping the family a lot more. To the point that people who end up 'making it' have to cut off ties with many family members to live in peace.

Some nice similarities:
- No matter how poor we are, we figure out a way to make a joke and laugh about it.
- Mexicans are probably the biggest source of Mexican jokes, and I think Filipinos are the same about themselves. We have an ability to laugh at ourselves.
- We both have disparaging nicknames for our loves ones, and pay no mind to any emotional damage it could cause. (I guess that could be negative)
- We're slowly but finally developing a defined sense of national identity.
- We're very family oriented (but like I said above, that sometimes comes at a cost)
-Tamarind!! (Mexicans love it)
- We love a good party!

And some similarities that I am ambivalent about:
-Filipinas watch Mexican novelas (A national embarassment on behalf of Mexico if you ask me)

I know there's a lot of differences, but the similarities are so uncanny for the distance that separates the two countries, and I wonder if any of you who are filipino and have traveled to, or dealt with Mexico can draw on any more paralels.
I've consistently noticed a ton of similarities as well.

Another one is that both Filipinos and Mexicans are INCREDIBLY HARD WORKERS....but seem to be way too content with their 'lot in life' of just working super hard for super low pay.

I just wish that both groups would rise above that somehow....with all that hard work they do. But they just seem way too content with that status.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
both are also a very festive people, seems like there is always something to celebrate

Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,867 times
Quote:
Municipality of Mexico, Pampanga Philippines

Official Website - Municipality of Mexico Pampanga

Mexico, Pampanga is administratively subdivided into 43 Barangay
Mexico, Pampanga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, since, these people are from the Municipality of Mexico, that would make them Mexican hahaha

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
lol you can actually trace Mexican influences in Pampanga.

you will find Tamales as one of the Pampanga's Specialty

Mexican Tamales

This is in Taxco, Mexico

and you can also find like this in Pampanga. They also do self crucifixion and by the
way, not all Filipino & Mexican catholics do this practices. We do Visita Iglesia.
Church is against this practices.
Reenactment of the cross is also practised in my hometown. This thing of hitting the back is also practised along with the procession every Semana Santa. This is not practised in Spain though.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
both are also a very festive people, seems like there is always something to celebrate
Yes I have noticed that too. Well, I guess the love for fiestas/ parties is a Spanish influence

Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Mexican La Bruja Dance

Philippines Pandanggo sa Ilaw /Oasioas Dance

Similarity we have a dance with Candle on top of their head lol
I just wonder if this is really Mexican influence on the Filipino culture or Filipino influence on the Mexican culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia