U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times

Advertisements

Thinking of a vacation to Thailand, will split my time between Bangkok and a beach area. Specifically looking for this criteria

Low key, not a party destination
Not overly commercial
Clean, tranquil, uncrowded, and post card beautiful beaches
Connected to local culture

I'm not very familiar with the country but I'm more intrigued the more I learn about it. I know of places such as Phuket and Koh Samui, but want to avoid the most popular, commercialized, and party destinations and I'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Krabi province (1 hour from Bangkok by plane) has many beautiful beaches and mountains but if you don't want to fly i say go to Ko Chang (Ko Chang District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Ko Chang "Elephant Island" is after Phuket the second largest island of the country (4 hours from Bangkok by bus).

Oh yeah let me give you one advice... Never tell them it's your first time in Thailand.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
We are visiting Thailand for the first time this January. We're staying on Lamai Beach on Koh Samui. Any advice? There's a wedding and then a group of us will stick around for 2 weeks to party. All of us late 50's to mid 60's.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM

138 posts, read 643,375 times
Beaches of Thailand are mostly in Southern proviences. But Northern Thailand/Upper Eastern Thailand are even more beautiful place to me, most of the area will be mountainous and high-glass land. Cultutally also even more interested than Southern Thailand.

I am wondering why majority of tourist whom went to Thailand, often go to beaches in Southern Thailand. While not so many people are actually going to other interesting areas like Northern Thailand/Upper Eastern Thailand (Northern Issan).

Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,065,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio_Auditore View Post
Beaches of Thailand are mostly in Southern proviences. But Northern Thailand/Upper Eastern Thailand are even more beautiful place to me, most of the area will be mountainous and high-glass land. Cultutally also even more interested than Southern Thailand.

I am wondering why majority of tourist whom went to Thailand, often go to beaches in Southern Thailand. While not so many people are actually going to other interesting areas like Northern Thailand/Upper Eastern Thailand (Northern Issan).
We love Chiang Mai. I agree, there's a lot of interesting things in the North. Our daughter and her family live in Chiang Mai and I have a number of friends there. I don't know if more people go to the beaches rather than to the north, but there's an awful lot of people that head for the north. Trekking seems to be a big draw. Just a walk through the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai finds it usually packed elbow to elbow with foreigners. Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, are all destinations people head for, but I think most tend to use Chiang Mai as a base in the north. A lot seem to be there for a few days, then head elsewhere, either BKK or the islands and beaches. Maybe a lot of them have already been to the north, or are planning to.

The only beach I've been to is at Bang Saen. Close to BKK and north of Pattaya (it's not in Pattaya). Bang Saen seems like a nice quiet community. The water looks kind of murky, but the breezes are nice. Pretty relaxing, not many tourists, mostly Thais. Good place to kick back, relax and do nothing, except for watching the grandkids and other kids play in the sand and wade in the water, or go for a walk along the promenade and look at vendor stalls, after eating some yummy food (cheap) available under the long stretching forest of giant beach umbrellas. I like the place, but it's not the picture postcard look one usually thinks of as beaches though.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times
Phuket is nice, and you don't really have to stay anywhere near the "party" beaches. Otherwise, the Krabi area has nice beaches, too.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM

38 posts, read 51,547 times
The best beaches are in the Carribean. Thai Beaches are dirty by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or