Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 PM

3,394 posts, read 5,502,977 times

Advertisements

What's the food like? Would you prefer it to the food of (in general) India?

(Unrelated to food) How cheap is it as a whole? Compared to neighbouring Thailand? I see that it is quite close to Singapore and I've read that it is largely responsible for Singapore's foundation. Is it getting expensive as the importance of Singapore increases? Kuala Lumpur is looking pretty slick...

I'm just scoping out some cheeeeeaaap tickets to Malaysia and Sri Lanka through Etihad this spring. Would be very interested in visiting if they remain as cost effective to get to.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 PM

156 posts, read 286,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

(Unrelated to food) How cheap is it as a whole? Compared to neighbouring Thailand? I see that it is quite close to Singapore and I've read that it is largely responsible for Singapore's foundation. Is it getting expensive as the importance of Singapore increases? Kuala Lumpur is looking pretty slick...

I'm just scoping out some cheeeeeaaap tickets to Malaysia and Sri Lanka through Etihad this spring. Would be very interested in visiting if they remain as cost effective to get to.

Thanks.
I've no idea who's been feeding you this information but last I checked, it (Malaysia) is largely responsible for Singapore's exit from the federation thus leading to its tear-filled independence because it was hardly prepared for it. Singapore was founded in 1819 by a British merchant representing the British East India Company.

What's the food like?
Mostly spicy but the country is home to a sizeable Chinese minority so you'd be able to find some oriental cuisine. Their focus seems to be mainly on street food.

Is it getting expensive as the importance of Singapore increases?
No, perhaps only in Johor (the southernmost state of Malaysia that borders Singapore) where Singaporeans cross over to do their shopping. Naturally, prices become somewhat elevated because foreign shoppers come prepared with cash. I'm sure that's the case in many frontier cities.

Last edited by lepillow; 11-07-2013 at 12:13 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 AM

1,021 posts, read 3,639,582 times
The Chinese food there is not that spicy actually, for me who are used to spicy stuff, Malaysia food is actually not that spicy on general but the cost there are 10x cheaper than Singapore and shopping is cheap. Don't expect much hospitality outside the hotel its part of their custom to be individualistic and not to be friendly to others, but they are helpful if you need help. Becareful of the taxi there and finding one with meter price is almost impossible unless you used myteksi calls.

For me Malaysia is almost like a less developed Singapore and more Islamic, but it doesn't get that Singapore if you go to the eastern coast area where the Malays are dominant or East Malaysia countryside (Sabah and Sarawak)

Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 AM

29,749 posts, read 18,615,199 times
Malaysia has outstanding food because they have a sizable population of Indians, Chinese and Malays and all have their unique foods that are delicious. I consider Malaysia a food paradise.

Compared to Bangkok, Th, KL is maybe a bit more expensive and developed but not much. The Muslim majority also means that there are more restrictions in KL than BKK. Arabs love to vacation and honeymoon in Malaysia

Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Thanks.
Since they apparently don't have books there in Canada, and city-data is your only source to figure this stuff out...

Malaysia food has Malay food, CHinese food AND Indian food...as all three ethnicities and cuisines are in Malaysia.

Seems like the rest of your post is all about how to be really really cheap. Yes, if you want to be really cheap cheap, you can do that too.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM

3,394 posts, read 5,502,977 times
Thanks everyone,

And Tiger Beer, I have been doing some reading about Malaysia, but I'm not sure why it's not okay with you to gather sources from an active Asia forum as well? I can probably find the answer to all questions asked on City-Data somewhere else on the web or in a book. Shall we close down the forum now? Sheesh.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
An acquaintance of mine who was a es-pat there summarized it like this: Everyone in Malaysia speaks English, except the people that expats have to deal with.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,660,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Since they apparently don't have books there in Canada, and city-data is your only source to figure this stuff out...

Malaysia food has Malay food, CHinese food AND Indian food...as all three ethnicities and cuisines are in Malaysia.

Seems like the rest of your post is all about how to be really really cheap. Yes, if you want to be really cheap cheap, you can do that too.
I won't go on in depth about the rich and diverse cuisine of Malaysia, you can easily find that info online, just reading the Wikipedia of 'cuisine of Malaysia' will give you a good orientation. While it's true the three main ethnic groups are well represented cuisine wise, it downplays the fact Malaysia is a melting pot of foods and the cuisine there is largely distinctively Malaysian: many of the dishes are not from China or India but a blend of Chinese, Malay, Indian etc. Dishes like curry laksa, mee rebus and Ayam kapitam are good examples. Of course it's great for Indian food and say Cantonese yum cha as well. For me curry laksa, hainanese chicken rice, nasi Lemak, beef rendang, hor fun and roti canai are probably the must try dishes if you go to Malaysia. Great food is found everywhere but Penang, Melaka and KL are well known for their local food.

Malaysia is more expensive than Thailand, but prices in Bangkok or Phuket are actually becoming on par. The fact most can speak English makes travel easy. Also less hassling touts and cheats than Thailand. I've also been to Sri Lanka so you can also ask me about that.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,059,682 times
Malaysian food has been touted and explained sufficiently by the posters above. Absolutely awesome and diverse. Be warned that it usually takes me a day or two for my stomach to adjust when I come from the States.

Malaysia costs seem to be more or less on par with Thailand. Outside of KL you'll find things to be even cheaper.

Note: KL has been going through a major crime wave. I know these kinds of things can be blown out of proportion but most everyone I spoke to in KL and Penang when I visited two months ago seemed to share the same opinion/fear. Hopefully the situation will be under control by next spring.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 26,132 times
Yes Malaysian food are totally awesome, i suggest if you stay in Kuala Lumpur that you go to jalan alor (jalan mean streets) for great cheap asian dishes. The malls are also a good way to try local dishes though most of them really suck, apart from Pavillion mall.

If you like Middle Eastern or Europeans there are plenty of that in Bukit Bintang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia