U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:34 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to explore this topic....no time or money to pursue anything like this, but I like Malaysia, and curious to learn more about it.

IF I were to someday pursue something like this...some of the things that would mean something:
1) More Chinese and Indian influenced area - Penang, Ipoh, Malacca, etc.
2) Reasonably affordable. Wouldn't want to be in the wealthiest areas of the country/cities. No expensive hi-rises, no luxury condos, etc.
3) Either proximity to density/amenities, or self-contained and in the middle of it all. Access to restaurants, movie theaters, things to do, etc.
4) Terraced homes - those just look cool! I visited a few friends who are renting out those, and love 'em.
5) Walkability - not car-dependent. (Probably most important of all).

Where is the magic combination of these things...a few places I've looked into...

Kuala Lumpur - This would pretty much have EVERYTHING. I am wondering if I should just focus on KL and the entire extensive metro. I'd probably be able to find some part of the metro that would have it all. However, is the entire metro of KL, even the far-flung areas of it, quite a bit more expensive than the rest of Malaysia? How are areas like Subang Jaya or Klang and areas like that? How are the farther reaches of Selangor?

Johor Bahru - Proximity to Singapore is certainly a huge plus. Density and probably interesting as well. However, it's new? Car-dependent? Is it even more expensive than KL, due to it's Singapore proximity? Is there much to walk around to, much foot traffic, if a person did enjoy walking/strolling about, over car dependency?

Penang - Huge Chinese and Indian populations. It's an island! Heard it might be not too far behind KL in expenses and cost of living though?

Malacca - Also, huge Chinese and Indian populations, and loads of gorgeous colonial architecture as well. Cons - too small? Proximity to both SG and KL is an interesting one. Might be a bit lower priced than KL and JB as well. Would it feel too small too fast though? I did see some shopping malls, as well as the cool historic and tourist stuff. Could be an interesting combination.

Neger Semblan - This is basically the other state next to KL's Selengor state. Not too far from the international airport as well. Anything in there that might make it a good fit, close to the airport, KL, and Malacca? Anything in the cities like Seremban or anywhere else? Is it too car dependent and spread out?

Kota Kimabala - Quite a bit different away from the Malaysia Peninsula. Is it self-contained enough to keep one busy, without having the access to KL/Penang/SG/etc.?

Kuching - Same questions as KK above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
KL is probably the best place to live if you like things to be happening, because afterall it is the only major city in Malaysia and the only one with reliable public transportation (and you still need a car there) as compared to the others. The city pretty much have anything to satisfy you, though not as much as Bangkok, but still a cool place to be.

JB is interesting with its approximate distance to Singapore but it is very car centric, didn't have much around. Unless you keep going to Singapore you just might find the place to be dull and boring. (As the many cities in Malaysia are)

Colonial structures in Melaka and Penang are indeed interesting, but after you get around for too long, it wont be that interesting anymore.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
KL is probably the best place to live if you like things to be happening, because afterall it is the only major city in Malaysia and the only one with reliable public transportation (and you still need a car there) as compared to the others. The city pretty much have anything to satisfy you, though not as much as Bangkok, but still a cool place to be.

JB is interesting with its approximate distance to Singapore but it is very car centric, didn't have much around. Unless you keep going to Singapore you just might find the place to be dull and boring. (As the many cities in Malaysia are)

Colonial structures in Melaka and Penang are indeed interesting, but after you get around for too long, it wont be that interesting anymore.
I need to explore metro KL more. Are there any interesting things built-up around the stations throughout the Metro? Maybe some far flung area of the Metro might be sufficient.

Penang. What I was backpacking around, and ended up in Georgetown, it did seem to wear thin after a few days. I met up with an old friend of mine, a Chinese-Malay guy I knew in the U.S., and going around in his car, the entire island and area took on a whole other characteristic. Much more interesting than I imagined. Huge malls with great english bookstores, an emormously large chinese temple up in the mountains, and a ton of other stuff. I was impressed. Maybe I saw the best of it already, but if that was a taste, I'd certainly like to see more.

Melaka. Granted, I was just a tourist there, but I really enjoyed walking along the river and exploring quite a bit. Might prove to be a bit too small, but it does seem like it has good proximity to both KL, SG, and the airport.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 AM

18,445 posts, read 9,548,793 times
KL just has more to do and has a pretty good metro train system, probably should focus there. Kuching is nice but I think would get boring after awhile. Penang also very nice.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
KL just has more to do and has a pretty good metro train system, probably should focus there. Kuching is nice but I think would get boring after awhile. Penang also very nice.
I wonder if Penang would wear thin after awhile as well?

Recently been thinking either KL or somewhere between KL and SG.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Being pretty familiar with most of the places you mention, I'd opt for Penang. Not sure about cost, but there are nice townhouses in George Town, and the island isn't too small. It's walkable, people are friendlier than in KL, it's not as big, probably safer and close to some great beaches in Malaysia and Thailand.

Remember staying with family friends in Subang Jaya as a kid, they lived in one of those whitewashed terrace houses you see a lot of in Malaysia, it seemed very suburban, in the Malaysian style, but probably has changed a lot since then.

Kuching might be another option. Actually visited an elderly couple, friends of my dad's friend, who lived in a nice, quiet place in Kuching. People there seem friendlier than the peninsula, it's clean, quiet, and surrounded by nature. Kuching is quite a nice town, and with flight connections these days, it's easy to get to any destination in SE Asia.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Being pretty familiar with most of the places you mention, I'd opt for Penang. Not sure about cost, but there are nice townhouses in George Town, and the island isn't too small. It's walkable, people are friendlier than in KL, it's not as big, probably safer and close to some great beaches in Malaysia and Thailand.

Remember staying with family friends in Subang Jaya as a kid, they lived in one of those whitewashed terrace houses you see a lot of in Malaysia, it seemed very suburban, in the Malaysian style, but probably has changed a lot since then.

Kuching might be another option. Actually visited an elderly couple, friends of my dad's friend, who lived in a nice, quiet place in Kuching. People there seem friendlier than the peninsula, it's clean, quiet, and surrounded by nature. Kuching is quite a nice town, and with flight connections these days, it's easy to get to any destination in SE Asia.
I'm a big fan of those terraced housing! Row home look.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:55 AM

Yes they are quite characteristic of Malaysia. You also find a fair bit of those in Singapore, although of course real estate prices there are higher. Phuket Town felt a bit like George Town, if you decided to live in Thailand.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Been researching it more, and thinking more about it.

Basically decided that Metro Kuala Lumpur would be the focus. Johor is a possible one, but heard next to nothing good about it. Proximity to SG is a plus, but I quite like KL already.

KLANG seems kind of interesting to me. Sounds like a ton of Indian restaurants and a large Indian population, and perhaps much more established than the newer areas around KL. From those that know Klang, would that be a disappointment?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Been researching it more, and thinking more about it.

Basically decided that Metro Kuala Lumpur would be the focus. Johor is a possible one, but heard next to nothing good about it. Proximity to SG is a plus, but I quite like KL already.

KLANG seems kind of interesting to me. Sounds like a ton of Indian restaurants and a large Indian population, and perhaps much more established than the newer areas around KL. From those that know Klang, would that be a disappointment?
I think I might've gone to Klang and Port Dickson as a kid, but has obviously changed a lot since then. The KL metro/Klang Valley is kinda sprawling, you've also got Putrajaya which is a new planned community. Last time we visited some of dad's old friends including his bandmates he used to play with in this really nice housing estate somewhere in the KL metro, it was leafy and felt like being in the jungle, I loved their house, it had an open courtyard in the middle to let all the air in. Not sure where it was though. One of those who was there was an English expat who married a local Malay lady who was an old childhood friend of my father's or related to her somehow. Come to think of it it was near the Mines Resort...we stayed at the Golden Horses hotel way back in 1998. It's the shopping mall with the canals and the gondolas (sort of like an indoor Venice) not sure if you've been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia