Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM

1,021 posts, read 3,640,563 times

Advertisements

Yeah sure i didn't say there are no beggars i can't say that a city as huge and populated as Jakarta wouldn't have beggar in its street, but im pretty sure its not the same league as Manila's in any way. Im merely describing the situation that im in when i am in an area that are overwhelmingly poor.

http://english.astroawani.com/news/s...-jakarta-26404

See this link for more information why we wouldn't trust them, and we have law enforcement againts it.

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2013/11...ney-to-Beggars

You are posting a link that linked Jakarta's problem with animal exploitation, which at the same time has been tradition for the people. Most beggars in Jakarta do not simply come and ask for money unless they are disabled these days, they perform something, that is something that totally differentiate it from Manila where street kids would swarms you when you walk alone at night. Btw those monkeys are now banned in the capital area, though it is still a problem outside the capital.

Last edited by Goshio22; 12-06-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,805,547 times
/\/\

Well if we go by the statistical averages, the poverty rates in Jakarta and Manila are pretty similar and range between 3% to 4%. Can't see how they are not in the same league.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

Well if we go by the statistical averages, the poverty rates in Jakarta and Manila are pretty similar and range between 3% to 4%. Can't see how they are not in the same league.
Well if you had proof on how similar exactly it is then i wold gladly accept it, anyway i think its simply because of the level of enforcement and unemployment is different. If you have actually experience the street of Jakarta you would understand its difference of league, instead of comparing it with the so called poverty rate statistic. No where in Jakarta beggars would be the same league as Malate.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM

/\/\

Don't you read your own stats office?

Statistics Indonesia

NSCB - Poverty Statistics

Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
/\/\

Don't you read your own stats office?

Statistics Indonesia

NSCB - Poverty Statistics
And where exactly is Manila? just want to see it myself. Jakarta is definitely a slightly richer city despite being classified a poor city, well if that make any difference, anyway if you don't see it because of some poverty statistic then see and experience it yourself. I wouldn't be insisting this much if it is of Manila's equivalent :P

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Did you read the stats? Jakarta - 3.7%. Manila 3.8%.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Did you read the stats? Jakarta - 3.7%. Manila 3.8%.
Cool then didn't notice the second one were there, figure it yourself why beggars is less in Jakarta, i've made my point or ask other people who have traveled there.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Oh please let's not rationalize the obvious. If the poor are not showing up in the so-called tourist districts then they are showing up somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Oh please let's not rationalize the obvious. If the poor are not showing up in the so-called tourist districts then they are showing up somewhere else.
I would only imagine they showed up in area full of people and traffic lights, but they would be rounded up by the cops and sent back to their village each time they return. If Manila's beggar is already at a large number in its touristy area and CBD (Makati), if we used your ideas then there's probably even larger number of them scattered throughout the city.

I am not rationalising the obvious since what i said is totally true, why would i need to lie about it. Think of the obvious, like why kids in slums of Jakarta do not hassle tourist as much compared to Manila's.

Last edited by Goshio22; 12-06-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
You're talking about things that you can't back up with actual facts. There aren't stats on that. However, there are stats on the murder rate for the Philippines and Indonesia, and it's higher in Indonesia. I'd rather be hassled by some beggars than murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia