Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:21 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure it won't be perfect and there will be some rankings that are a bit off, but would you consider South Korea, Poland, Spain or Belarus in that top echelon? Probably not. So that 0.8 iHDI cutoff is pretty good for hitting that.

Also, Poland is rad and the last several years have seen some massive infrastructure updates and good economic growth.
South Korea and Spain yes, Poland and Belarus no. Poland might be doing well atm but it does not warrant a HDI higher than Korea. Obviously Korea’s got a bunch of crap as well but its development is closer to Germany than to Poland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 01:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
South Korea and Spain yes, Poland and Belarus no. Poland might be doing well atm but it does not warrant a HDI higher than Korea. Obviously Korea’s got a bunch of crap as well but its development is closer to Germany than to Poland.
I see. I thought you had high standards

So how far down the HDI and iHDI list do you go before you hit upon a country you think shouldn't make the cut?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I see. I thought you had high standards

So how far down the HDI and iHDI list do you go before you hit upon a country you think shouldn't make the cut?
I think iHDI is too problematic. The order is a total mess:
14. Slovenia
15. Czech Republic
16. Belgium
17. Austria
18. United Kingdom
19. Singapore
20. Luxembourg
21. Hong Kong
22. France
23. Malta
24. Slovakia
25. United States
28. Poland
29. South Korea
30. Hungary
31. Italy
36. Belarus
37. Spain

How can the Czech Republic and Slovenia be higher than Belgium and Austria? They aren't even net contributors to the EU (Belgium isn't either but it's only because Brussels is the headquater; if you take Brussels out of the equation it would definitely be a net contributor) and Austria is amongst their largest investors.
And Hungary above Italy? That's even more nonsensical. Italy and Spain arenn't particularly competitive these days but in no way are they below Hungary.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 AM

732 posts, read 780,496 times
^^
What kind of metrics are you trying to gauge here and how do you interpret HDI?

Old 01-19-2019, 06:47 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think iHDI is too problematic. The order is a total mess:
14. Slovenia
15. Czech Republic
16. Belgium
17. Austria
18. United Kingdom
19. Singapore
20. Luxembourg
21. Hong Kong
22. France
23. Malta
24. Slovakia
25. United States
28. Poland
29. South Korea
30. Hungary
31. Italy
36. Belarus
37. Spain

How can the Czech Republic and Slovenia be higher than Belgium and Austria? They aren't even net contributors to the EU (Belgium isn't either but it's only because Brussels is the headquater; if you take Brussels out of the equation it would definitely be a net contributor) and Austria is amongst their largest investors.
And Hungary above Italy? That's even more nonsensical. Italy and Spain arenn't particularly competitive these days but in no way are they below Hungary.
I understand the ordering issues you feel it has. I’m asking how far down on each list you go before you hit a countey that you thinks no longer hits your standard for very high development.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I understand the ordering issues you feel it has. I’m asking how far down on each list you go before you hit a countey that you thinks no longer hits your standard for very high development.
I think there isn't a clear border of "very high" development and "high" development. It's more like a spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia