Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:18 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos are very spiritual and superstitious, but very religious? I dont think so. That implies that they strongly follow the rules of a religion, but that's not true. Filipinos believe and do a lot of things that aren't part of Roman Catholicism. The old beliefs are still there, they're just behind a Catholic mask. I'd bet money that most Filipino "Catholics" can name more Filipino spirits and ghosts than books of the Bible.
If they are not, churches every Sunday won't be filled with people any more. I lived in Europe for 10 years, and their churches are empty, only old people are there. That doesn't happen in the Philippines, it is even impossible to see an empty chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:23 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Anybody can go to a church, but that doesn't mean they follow the rules of the religion. Filipinos aren't very religious Catholics. They're very spiritual animist-Catholic syncretists, add in some American Evangelical influence as well

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I don't know about Mexico. I heard this custom of Misa de Gallo going to mass for 9 mornings was introduced by Mexico. Semana Santa in Mexico is also the same as the practises in the Philippines ( The Reenactment of the Cross ).
Yes we are much more religious than Spain... Can't be compared any more, they have lost it. The only time you can see them being religious is during Semana Santa ( Holy Week ). It is the biggest festivity in Spain. But then, a Spanish poster once said, it is a fiesta, a cultural thing and not really a religious thing any more.
The Dia de Reyes or Epiphany is
The evening of January 5 marks the Twelfth Night of Christmas and is when the figurines of the three wise men are added to the nativity scene. In Mexico and many other Latin American countries, Santa Claus doesn't hold the cachet that he does in the United States. Rather, it is the three wise men who are the bearers of gifts, who leave presents in or near the shoes of small children.[74] Mexican families also commemorate the date by eating Rosca de Reyes.

Mexico has the Posadas as well in addition to the Semana Santa. Semana Santa isn't until around Easter in March. Also around January, Mexico also has the dias de los reyes magos, (The day of the three wise men)

Las Posadas is a nine-day celebration with origins in Spain, now celebrated chiefly in Mexico, Guatemala and parts of the Southwestern United States, beginning December 16 and ending December 24, on evenings. The children get like a small gift everyday for those 9 days, and I think it's like that one Jewish holiday.

I think that Mexico isn't quite as religious or as Catholic as it used to be, but it's still more than in the USA and Spain. Spain has lost a lot of cultural and religious things that Latin America has. I'm thinking the Philippines is still a little bit more religious than Mexico because I heard that many Filipinos don't like the use of contraceptives or birth control or pharmaceutical products. This is how Mexico was 20 or 30 years ago. I guess Mexicans are kind of ok with it.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
If they are not, churches every Sunday won't be filled with people any more. I lived in Europe for 10 years, and their churches are empty, only old people are there. That doesn't happen in the Philippines, it is even impossible to see an empty chair.
What % of Filipinos attend church regularly? What about young people (ages 18-35)?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What % of Filipinos attend church regularly? What about young people (ages 18-35)?
This is a church in my hometown. Every Sunday it's always full that you need to be at least 30 minutes early before it starts as it is impossible to find a vacant spot.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omFFphwNxzc

When I first came to Portugal, I was surprised to see only old people in their churches and most of the time, there's no choir because church goers are old. When my husband first attended a mass in the Philippines he was also surprised to see so many young people even teenagers and people in their 20's - 40's.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 AM

Yes, the traditional churches here are mostly old people, although we have a lot of those newer Pentacostal type churches full of young people and rock bands trying to be hip. Do you have that there too? I hear it's growing in Latin America too.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, the traditional churches here are mostly old people, although we have a lot of those newer Pentacostal type churches full of young people and rock bands trying to be hip. Do you have that there too? I hear it's growing in Latin America too.
Yes we also have those...I attended one some years ago and yes those churches are livelier but I really do not see the point of changing my religion so they were not able to convince me at all.
We also have a lively mass called " Jerusalen mass ", everything is answered through lively songs but I think in my hometown there is none any more as the priests left are not much into it.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Yes we also have those...I attended one some years ago and yes those churches are livelier but I really do not see the point of changing my religion so they were not able to convince me at all.
We also have a lively mass called " Jerusalen mass ", everything is answered through lively songs but I think in my hometown there is none any more as the priests left are not much into it.
There were a few Filipinos visiting at the baptist church we attend sometimes in the city. It used to be mostly old people, but now it gets people from all over the world. There was also a Brazilian guy a few years ago. I imagine Filipinos appreciate the more vibrant, modern style too.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
There were a few Filipinos visiting at the baptist church we attend sometimes in the city. It used to be mostly old people, but now it gets people from all over the world. There was also a Brazilian guy a few years ago. I imagine Filipinos appreciate the more vibrant, modern style too.
Yes there are Filipino protestants. I have cousins who are protestants. vibrant masses are really better than the traditional ones. The Catholic churches in Europe should try to make their masses a little livelier to encourage younger people to go to church again.
I used to attend a Portuguese mass with a choir from Angola and the songs were more joyful and lively because they used drums and they had some African dance too.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Yes there are Filipino protestants. I have cousins who are protestants. vibrant masses are really better than the traditional ones. The Catholic churches in Europe should try to make their masses a little livelier to encourage younger people to go to church again.
I used to attend a Portuguese mass with a choir from Angola and the songs were more joyful and lively because they used drums and they had some African dance too.
My parents, Malaysian and Singaporean, actually went on a mission trip to the Philippines back in the 80s. Not sure if they were preaching to Catholics or non-believers in general, I get the feeling a lot of the poor even in very religious countries aren't necessarily considered believers, or just doing other sort of work, but they were attending a Baptist church in KL at the time. My mother attended one of Billy Graham's crusades when she was young in Singapore, and she became a Christian at a young age, partly due to influence from her sister who was a Sunday school teacher. At first there was much resistance from my devoutly Buddhist grandmother. Same with my father, although he converted later in life. Now of my relatives, about half are Christian and the other half pretty much just irreligious now, aside from my grandmother who is staunchly Buddhist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia