Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:07 AM

1,760 posts, read 8,083,376 times

Advertisements

Well I just wanted to ask on how other Asians celebrate their Christmas?

Here's how we, Filipinos do celebrate the holiday. I know some may think that it's too early to talk about Christmas but for us, Filipinos. Christmas celebration already started since the 1st day of September 'till the 3 kings celebration every 6th of January.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 04:21 AM

2,376 posts, read 7,053,925 times
Other Asians do not celebrate Christmas because they are not Catholic.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 2,552,936 times

山下達郎 クリスマス・イブ - 30th Anniversary Edition - - Dailymotion

Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,666,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are Catholics and Protestants outside the Philippines as well (but I think you already knew that)... I was in Sri Lanka last December, in a city called Negombo which is actually about 80-90% Catholic, and they were singing Christmas carols outside a nice old church, which was probably 100 years old. Sri Lanka has a few nice cathedrals and churches. Vietnam is about 6% Catholic and December in Hanoi you can see a lot of Christmas decorations. Like in Japan, however, Christmas is not a public holiday and not a holiday most people actually celebrate in more than a cursory commercial manner. I know in Japan eating KFC and Christmas cakes (but not our western fruit cakes or puddings but individual themed cakes) is a tradition.

In Singapore, even though Christians are a minority, Christmas is a big deal commercially at least, and the Christmas lights on Orchard Road are a big event. It's a holiday, and many families still celebrate. Christians will go to church.etc. One of the great things about Singapore is that many different cultural festivals are celebrated and very apparent throughout the year, from Christmas, to Chinese New Year, to the break of Ramadan, to Deepavali or Diwali.

Some of the Christmas displays are quite spectacular and many go into Orchard Road just to see them:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=o...w=1192&bih=639

Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There are Catholics and Protestants outside the Philippines as well (but I think you already knew that)... I was in Sri Lanka last December, in a city called Negombo which is actually about 80-90% Catholic, and they were singing Christmas carols outside a nice old church, which was probably 100 years old. Sri Lanka has a few nice cathedrals and churches. Vietnam is about 6% Catholic and December in Hanoi you can see a lot of Christmas decorations. Like in Japan, however, Christmas is not a public holiday and not a holiday most people actually celebrate in more than a cursory commercial manner. I know in Japan eating KFC and Christmas cakes (but not our western fruit cakes or puddings but individual themed cakes) is a tradition.

In Singapore, even though Christians are a minority, Christmas is a big deal commercially at least, and the Christmas lights on Orchard Road are a big event. It's a holiday, and many families still celebrate. Christians will go to church.etc. One of the great things about Singapore is that many different cultural festivals are celebrated and very apparent throughout the year, from Christmas, to Chinese New Year, to the break of Ramadan, to Deepavali or Diwali.

Some of the Christmas displays are quite spectacular and many go into Orchard Road just to see them:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=o...w=1192&bih=639

While some might be Catholic, majority are not like where I am now where Christmas is not really celebrated except in shopping malls, but Christmas is not just having christmas trees in shopping malls. Christmas is the most important occasion for Christians.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-29-2013 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 08:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,544,366 times
메리 크리스마스 새해 복 많이 받으세요

There are Christians in Korea who celebrate it and go to church. Lots of lights and little trees in retail shops and coffee shops. For the rest it's celebrated sort of like Valentines Day but on Christmas Eve. Everyone goes on dates. They look for dates for Christmas Eve and go ice skating, movies, etc.

Some people give gifts but a lot give money.

The decorations are more modern, not as traditional. Seoul is the most decorated I think. Not many residential decorating outside of home.

Christmas is an official holiday in Korea. Oh, and we have sponge cake with icing. Hm, sort of like America and then sort of not like America. English Christmas songs are played a lot.

K-Pop Stars - Happy Holidays! Live Christmas Performances - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
How other Asians celebrate their traditional Christmas?-screen-shot-2013-11-29-7.25.02  

Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
While some might be Catholic, majority are not like where I am now where Christmas is not really celebrated except in shopping malls, but Christmas is not just having christmas trees in shopping malls. Christmas is the most important occasion for Christians.
Yeah in the West Christmas has lost it's meaning for many as well. It's more a cultural thing, many non-Christians will celebrate it.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Orchard Road Christmas Light-Up! 2011 Christmas Blooms in Singapore. - YouTube

Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 AM

1,949 posts, read 6,434,051 times
Quote:
I agree, you may see lots of asians out shopping during Christmas season but they dont really believe in it they just do it for fun without knowing the true meaning, since most are not even Catholic / Christian

I only buy stuff after Christmas for the sales, not for gifts

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I agree, you may see lots of asians out shopping during Christmas season but they dont really believe in it they just do it for fun without knowing the true meaning, since most are not even Catholic / Christian

I only buy stuff after Christmas for the sales, not for gifts
In my daughter's school, the kids do not have any clue what Christmas is. What they just know is Christmas is the time when you see Christmas trees in the malls and Santa Claus. They do school plays before Christmas holiday but nothing related to Christmas at all since teachers are afraid that it might not be allowed to do something religious. It's just quite silly that it is already a chance to educate the kids what Christmas is all about and why it is celebrated by Christians all over the world since they go to a Western school but they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia