U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 AM

1,011 posts, read 629,036 times

Advertisements

Why do you have so much against KMT or PRC, or anything related to the mainland? Taiwan of course has its own identity, but in the same way as Hawaii to the mainland USA

Also, indigenous Taiwanese does not represent Taiwan either. A good portion of the population in Taiwan resulted from the KMT retreat from the mainland not many decades ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Chinese have been settling Taiwan for over 500 years, longer than America, yet they aren't allowed to assert their own identity? The KMT or PRC doesn't speak for all Taiwanese...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 AM

Yes. Even Singaporeans share more with the mainlanders than the HKers. Language is a barrier. Most HKers do not speak very good Mandarin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Taiwanese and mainlanders are certainly different, but I connect with Taiwanese much more than I do with Hong Kongers.

In the US I have had quite a few Taiwanese friends, but not a single one from Hong Kong. Besides the fact we are both fluent in Mandarin, Taiwanese students actually learned a lot about China in school. They knowthe names of Chinese provinces, major cities and so on. They are also very familiar with history of China. As a result we can always find something to talk about.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Why do you have so much against KMT or PRC, or anything related to the mainland? Taiwan of course has its own identity, but in the same way as Hawaii to the mainland USA

Also, indigenous Taiwanese does not represent Taiwan either. A good portion of the population in Taiwan resulted from the KMT retreat from the mainland not many decades ago
I just more want to see Taiwanese cultivate it's identity, including aboriginal culture. The indigenous people and Hoklo, many of whom have aboriginal blood, were there long before the KMT. I hope to see an independent Republic of Taiwan one day...

Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 AM

The majority of the Chinese, no matter where they are from, would like to see a unified CHina.

Quote:
I just more want to see Taiwanese cultivate it's identity, including aboriginal culture. The indigenous people and Hoklo, many of whom have aboriginal blood, were there long before the KMT. I hope to see an independent Republic of Taiwan one day...

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
The majority of the Chinese, no matter where they are from, would like to see a unified CHina.
A majority of Taiwanese want independence, many don't even consider themselves Chinese but Taiwanese. Shouldn't what they want be more important?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Who said the majority of Taiwanese want independance? You are very biased on this issue. You may have more friends who are indigeous Taiwanese, but their views are not representive of the entire Taiwan.

Why do you think the taiwannese elected KMT, who generally supports the idea of one China?

Quote:
A majority of Taiwanese want independence, many don't even consider themselves Chinese but Taiwanese. Shouldn't what they want be more important?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
Who said the majority of Taiwanese want independance? You are very biased on this issue. You may have more friends who are indigeous Taiwanese, but their views are not representive of the entire Taiwan.

Why do you think the taiwannese elected KMT, who generally supports the idea of one China?
I say the majority of Taiwanese want independence,and I AM Taiwanese.

Voting for KMT does not equal to voting for unification.And many people have been regretting for voting KMT.

You can always check surveys about whether Taiwanese want independence or unification.(Though you won't,you probably only watch some stupid brainwashing Chinese news lol)

And what's with the "A good portion of the population in Taiwan resulted from the KMT retreat from the mainland not many decades ago"?Those people have DIED,or pretty close to it.It was like 65 years a go,do the math you idiot.

And your spelling sucks.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Yes I recall one poll, can't find the source, saying 60% opposed reunification and would prefer independence.

Pro-independence Vote in Taiwan Raises Fear of Conflict With China - CSMonitor.com

Basically, Taiwan has been a pawn between the PRC and KMT. The KMT took over Taiwan in 1949, and while were largely welcomed, they turned into an autocratic sort of dictatorship imposing martial law and suppressing pro-independence sentiment. Of course, big China was more of a threat to pro-independence, but as the Democratic Progressive Party gains influence, and more and more Taiwanese assert a Taiwanese instead of Chinese national identity (or embracing both, their Chinese ancestry but Taiwanese nationality), it could be a real possibility.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 AM

Don't call yourself Chinese. What a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I say the majority of Taiwanese want independence,and I AM Taiwanese.

Voting for KMT does not equal to voting for unification.And many people have been regretting for voting KMT.

You can always check surveys about whether Taiwanese want independence or unification.(Though you won't,you probably only watch some stupid brainwashing Chinese news lol)

And what's with the "A good portion of the population in Taiwan resulted from the KMT retreat from the mainland not many decades ago"?Those people have DIED,or pretty close to it.It was like 65 years a go,do the math you idiot.

And your spelling sucks.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM

Dear friend, please read some history. KMT did not take over Taiwan. Ancient history apart, at the beginning of Qing Dynasty, a Chinese general called Zhenchengong got rid of the Dutch colonist and ruled Taiwan. Kangxi emperer defeated Zheng's son and retook Taiwan as part of the Fujian Province.

Then, Taiwan was under the rule of the central government, until it was colonized by Japan before the world war 2.

It has never been an independant country in any recent history.

Quote:
Yes I recall one poll, can't find the source, saying 60% opposed reunification and would prefer independence.

Pro-independence Vote in Taiwan Raises Fear of Conflict With China - CSMonitor.com

Basically, Taiwan has been a pawn between the PRC and KMT. The KMT took over Taiwan in 1949, and while were largely welcomed, they turned into an autocratic sort of dictatorship imposing martial law and suppressing pro-independence sentiment. Of course, big China was more of a threat to pro-independence, but as the Democratic Progressive Party gains influence, and more and more Taiwanese assert a Taiwanese instead of Chinese national identity (or embracing both, their Chinese ancestry but Taiwanese nationality), it could be a real possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or