Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Dear friend, please read some history. KMT did not take over Taiwan. Ancient history apart, at the beginning of Qing Dynasty, a Chinese general called Zhenchengong got rid of the Dutch colonist and ruled Taiwan. Kangxi emperer defeated Zheng's son and retook Taiwan as part of the Fujian Province.

Then, Taiwan was under the rule of the central government, until it was colonized by Japan before the world war 2.

It has never been an independant country in any recent history.
Postman we really should stop arguing with this person.He's just seriously brainwashed.
Actually I thought these forums are supposed to be blocked in China,lol.

By the way I would NEVER call my self a Chinese,so don't worry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Dear friend, please read some history. KMT did not take over Taiwan. Ancient history apart, at the beginning of Qing Dynasty, a Chinese general called Zhenchengong got rid of the Dutch colonist and ruled Taiwan. Kangxi emperer defeated Zheng's son and retook Taiwan as part of the Fujian Province.

Then, Taiwan was under the rule of the central government, until it was colonized by Japan before the world war 2.

It has never been an independant country in any recent history.
Yes, briefly, but before that despite being so near China never incorporated it! Yet nonetheless, the Taiwanese have lived there for hundreds of years, and the aborigines for thousands of years. I hope the aborigines will be able to re-assert more influence in their homeland too.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,031 times
Seems that you are more brainwashed than anyone else. Probably you are a supporter of the guy called Chen Shuibian who is just a shame in Taiwan history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Postman we really should stop arguing with this person.He's just seriously brainwashed.
Actually I thought these forums are supposed to be blocked in China,lol.

By the way I would NEVER call my self a Chinese,so don't worry about that.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 AM

what you mean by aborigines? Australia has a lot aborigninals, US has a lot. And Hainan province, Yunnan Province, and many other provinces in China have a lot. All of them should become independant?

Maybe California should be independant as they have more hispanics than whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, briefly, but before that despite being so near China never incorporated it! Yet nonetheless, the Taiwanese have lived there for hundreds of years, and the aborigines for thousands of years. I hope the aborigines will be able to re-assert more influence in their homeland too.

Quote:
Yes I recall one poll, can't find the source, saying 60% opposed reunification and would prefer independence.

Pro-independence Vote in Taiwan Raises Fear of Conflict With China - CSMonitor.com

Basically, Taiwan has been a pawn between the PRC and KMT. The KMT took over Taiwan in 1949, and while were largely welcomed, they turned into an autocratic sort of dictatorship imposing martial law and suppressing pro-independence sentiment. Of course, big China was more of a threat to pro-independence, but as the Democratic Progressive Party gains influence, and more and more Taiwanese assert a Taiwanese instead of Chinese national identity (or embracing both, their Chinese ancestry but Taiwanese nationality), it could be a real possibility.
That was from 1997,in the more recent survey,about 80% of Taiwanese want independence(or we should probably say a global recognition since we sort of have a de facto independency).The surveys would usually have another option called "maintain the current status",most people would go for that option though,but if there were only two options,80% of Taiwanese chose independence
And if you ask a Taiwanese his nationality,about 90% would say Taiwanese,the ones that answer Chinese are very rare.

Yes, I'm neither Chinese nor Taiwanese (except for having ancestors coming from Fujian). I can't even speak any Chinese language. But I have been to Taiwan, and while I haven't spoken much about politics with people, I have read a little about it, and met with various people around Taiwan, and just see it as a pretty good place, like they're doing well by themselves, reunification would just spoil things, unless China drastically improves, including human rights.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
what you mean by aborigines? Australia has a lot aborigninals, US has a lot. And Hainan province, Yunnan Province, and many other provinces in China have a lot. All of them should become independant?

Maybe California should be independant as they have more hispanics than whites.
Well Taiwan has 500,000 indigenous people (self-identified) and they have been marginalised, but lately there is more pride in aboriginal culture, with many Taiwanese also acknowledging aboriginal ancestry. The culture is rich and unique, and I feel something Taiwan should be proud of. It would be great if they could be more involved in Taiwanese culture, politics.etc.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Seems that you are more brainwashed than anyone else. Probably you are a supporter of the guy called Chen Shuibian who is just a shame in Taiwan history
I'm rolling my eyes.
Whatever,I'm tired arguing with you.This is exactly why Taiwanese hate Mainlanders.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 AM

HK and Macau have been reunified with the Mainland. They are doing much better than Taiwan. When HK returned to Mainland in 1997, HK and Taiwan were of similar stages of economic development. Look at them now. HK may be twice as rich as Taiwan, and Macau three times richer.

Quote:
Yes, I'm neither Chinese nor Taiwanese (except for having ancestors coming from Fujian). I can't even speak any Chinese language. But I have been to Taiwan, and while I haven't spoken much about politics with people, I have read a little about it, and met with various people around Taiwan, and just see it as a pretty good place, like they're doing well by themselves, reunification would just spoil things, unless China drastically improves, including human rights.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Well Taiwan has 500,000 indigenous people (self-identified) and they have been marginalised, but lately there is more pride in aboriginal culture, with many Taiwanese also acknowledging aboriginal ancestry. The culture is rich and unique, and I feel something Taiwan should be proud of. It would be great if they could be more involved in Taiwanese culture, politics.etc.
Yeah the conditions of aboriginals here are not good,as you said they have been marginalized.I also think their rights and interests should be presented and brought to the table,unfortunately neither of the two biggest parties seem to care about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia