U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Americans and Chinese are just different in many ways.
Some (not all) Chinese still hate Manchus, hate Genghis Khan, etc., which may sound ridiculous to Americans.

To put it in a bad way, Americans are descendants of those who betrayed their original nations.
Chinese like history and are good at it. The culture emphasizes loyalty.
And, despite OP being ethnically Chinese, I suspect he was born and raised in the US, and is in his early 20s. Perfect recipe for rebelliousness, I say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM

65 posts, read 74,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And, despite OP being ethnically Chinese, I suspect he was born and raised in the US, and is in his early 20s. Perfect recipe for rebelliousness, I say
Wrong,I spent most of my life in New Zealand,my parents taught me to forgive but when it came to the Japanese,it is a very big issue for them

Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM

448 posts, read 499,924 times
Mainland Chinese do not appreciate Japanese culture, and other foreign culture as much as the people of HK, Macau and Taiwan.
A lot of young people in HK, Macau and Taiwan like Japanese cuisine, like to watch Japanese TV programmes and movies, cartoons, cosplays. Eager to learn Japanese language and travel to Japan. But almost all disagree with Japan on political and historical issues with the Ming/Qing dynasty/Republic of China/PRC.

If you ask any Mainland Chinese, most will say Japanese are not good. And they do not understand why the US, UK and Western allies, do not hate the Japanese as much as the Chinese do, with US and British commonwealth suffered too due to Japanese in WW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I saw a documentary about the Japanese invasion/occupation of Hong Kong, and the 'battle of Hong Kong.' Many of the old Hong Kongers who fought were still pretty bitter towards the Japanese.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,618,305 times
"with US and British commonwealth suffered too due to Japanese in WW2."...

I guess it's because many things look puny next to 20 million dead, many through mutilation, torture, extermination, mass executions, gang rape, wanton bombing etc etc etc. It's kinda obvious why others do not hate the Japanese as the Chinese, or the Koreans, do. This is something many Americans or Westerners cannot fathom. It's all easy kombaya "let bygones be bygones" until it's your kins or your country.

I can guarantee you that, if the Japanese mass murdered 20 million Americans, there would be no rebuilding of Japan after the war. In fact, there would be no Japan today on the face of this earth.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,363,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I guess it's because many things look puny next to 20 million dead, many through mutilation, torture, extermination, mass executions, gang rape, wanton bombing etc etc etc. It's kinda obvious why others do not hate the Japanese as the Chinese, or the Koreans, do. This is something many Americans or Westerners cannot fathom. It's all easy kombaya "let bygones be bygones" until it's your kins or your country.
But, at the same time, take for example most Jews around the world, whether they're from the US, UK, AU, EU, Latin American, Israel, Iran, etc - they are all very well aware of what their ancestors suffered under the Germans, but they don't view the Germans as a people as being the root of all evil in the world, or as their sworn eternal adversaries. Again, the general attitude is that most of the people behind it are dead, and their descendants shouldn't be held accountable for those atrocities since they had no hand in it.

Quote:
I can guarantee you that, if the Japanese mass murdered 20 million Americans, there would be no rebuilding of Japan after the war. In fact, there would be no Japan today on the face of this earth.
Eh, it's difficult to say one way or the other, really; it's certainly possible that, if the Japanese had managed to knock out 10% of the US' population while the US still retained the same military power, the result would have been that Japan would have been steamrolled with utter impunity. Plenty of Americans would have been fine with our forces doing just that in 1945, but we didn't... to a large degree, the fact that we didn't was because there was an attitude that we were better than the Japanese.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:14 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"with US and British commonwealth suffered too due to Japanese in WW2."...

Actually others do, maybe not to the same extent. Here it's mostly a few oldies who fought in WWII (guess they're dying off). At least it doesn't seem the hate has really spread much through the generations.

But yeah quite a few of my grandparents generation in Singapore and Malaysia do not like the Japanese. They might not protest and burn things - but then again they are in their 80s and 90s. The Japanese killed a lot of innocents in Malaya too.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,418,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post
Wrong,I spent most of my life in New Zealand,my parents taught me to forgive but when it came to the Japanese,it is a very big issue for them
That is sad. Try to be more understanding of your parents' fear and be patient with them.

I live in a neighborhood where everyone drives a North American car. I can tell you that it is not true that only Asians have that misgivings. I have been watching programs to improve my study of Chinese. Oh my, I was shocked the first time the characters in the story called out: "Wō​ku". Turned out they were Japanese pirates in the 16th and 17th century. So, history ran deep.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,209,191 times
a old WWII vet told me they should have dropped more atomic bombs on Japan and finished the job

he said the US made the mistake of not destroying Japan

Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times
Chinese is a big nation, and thus has more "self esteem" than smaller nations.

For example, if Luxembourg gets wiped off by Germany, it is not really too much a shame and will not cause too much pain. But the situation will be very different if it is Russia.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,618,305 times
"they are all very well aware of what their ancestors suffered under the Germans, but they don't view the Germans as a people as being the root of all evil in the world, or as their sworn eternal adversaries."...

The Germans have done far more, with real concrete actions, to atone for their actions in the war. There are German laws that forbid ant questions of Nazi atrocities, the display of Nazi symbols, or speeches/articles that promote Nazism. There are no such laws in Japan, but instead you have a shrine that has war criminal remains that are being venerated as "heros". Huge difference between Germany and Japan, and hence huge difference in feelings toward them. Germany has a "special relationship" with Israel since the war, Japan has no such relationships except its nuke master.

"to a large degree, the fact that we didn't was because there was an attitude that we were better than the Japanese"...

Try saying that again when 20 million of your people were slaughtered in the most horrific way, and 1/2 of your country was devastated by wanton bombing. You may not be so big and generous then.
"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or