U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,180,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Based on what? I don't think they thought much of each other. Japan also adopted a lot of Chinese culture and did sort of look up to them though (although that doesn't mean they were friendly with them).
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Japan that would say their culture is Chinese influenced (except the Confucian and Buddhist parts). Other than that, the 漢字 are the most obvious "cultural import" of the Chinese in Japan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,796,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Japan that would say their culture is Chinese influenced (except the Confucian and Buddhist parts). Other than that, the 漢字 are the most obvious "cultural import" of the Chinese in Japan

My wife is Japanese. She says the root of her home culture is from China, and was adapted over centuries to have unique twists. Throughout history, Japan sent some form of tribute to China usually. In fact, 95% of Japanese people are ethnically closer to Han and other groups. Native Japanese, such as the Ryukyu and Ainu people, were pushed out and marginalized over the centuries.

That said, they have always felt independent from China as well. So you can think of it as having deep ties culturally to China, but starting around 1300 AD the ruling classes in Japan simplified the language and a totally different food culture and social structure came about, especially with the shogunate and the moving of the capitol to Edo (the root of why Japanese people have their social structure today can be partly traced to this period).

So, it isn't quite true to say you'd find Japanese people disagreeing that China is the root of their culture. The tree grows from the roots, and different structures come about. Modern history is probably the only time Japan and China hhistory have they been consistently been at loggerheads.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 AM

65 posts, read 74,493 times
Something from the SCMP (South China Morning Post)

Hongkongers still ‘negative’ about mainland visitors, HKU poll shows

HKU poll shows that nearly a third of Hongkongers have 'negative feelings' for mainlanders

Negative feelings in Hong Kong towards mainland Chinese are at their highest for some years, while sentiment about Japanese people remains comparatively warm, a poll shows.
The Hong Kong University survey conducted in November showed 31.8 per cent of Hong Kong people have “negative” feelings for people from mainland China.
The same survey in May put the figure at 35.6 per cent, meaning the average figure for this year was the highest since the exercise began in 2007.
Mainland tourists or residents are an important source of revenue for Hong Kong. But they are also seen as straining the city’s resources and pushing up prices of items ranging from baby formula to property.
More than 1,000 people were interviewed by phone for the survey.
Only 14.9 per cent of those questioned in Hong Kong, which was under harsh Japanese occupation during the second world war, harboured negative feelings toward Japanese people in the second half of the year.
However negative feelings towards the Japanese government reached a high point this year - more than 63 per cent in the second half of the year, and 58.8 per cent in the first half.
A dispute between China and Japan over East China Sea islands has intensified in the past year, fuelling hostility towards the Tokyo government on the mainland and in other Chinese societies.

Hongkongers still

Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post

HKU poll shows that nearly a third of Hongkongers have 'negative feelings' for mainlanders

Negative feelings in Hong Kong towards mainland Chinese are at their highest for some years, while sentiment about Japanese people remains comparatively warm, a poll shows.
The Hong Kong University survey conducted in November showed 31.8 per cent of Hong Kong people have “negative” feelings for people from mainland China.
The same survey in May put the figure at 35.6 per cent, meaning the average figure for this year was the highest since the exercise began in 2007.
Mainland tourists or residents are an important source of revenue for Hong Kong. But they are also seen as straining the city’s resources and pushing up prices of items ranging from baby formula to property.
Only 14.9 per cent of those questioned in Hong Kong, which was under harsh Japanese occupation during the second world war, harboured negative feelings toward Japanese people in the second half of the year.
However negative feelings towards the Japanese government reached a high point this year - more than 63 per cent in the second half of the year, and 58.8 per cent in the first half.
A dispute between China and Japan over East China Sea islands has intensified in the past year, fuelling hostility towards the Tokyo government on the mainland and in other Chinese societies.

Hongkongers still
People in Beijing and Shanghai do not like "outsiders" either. "Region discrimination" is common in Chinese culture.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:42 AM

65 posts, read 74,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
People in Beijing and Shanghai do not like "outsiders" either. "Region discrimination" is common in Chinese culture.
Saw it today with my own family members,I took a school friend of mine who is a Japanese and we went to school in New Zealand together,he even admitted I was the only one who was very open rather than my own family,I happened to take my friend to the Chinese Restaurant at Discovery Park in Hong Kong for lunch today,when I announced that I intend to date and marry a Japanese lady,well my mum's brother in law called me a traitor

Last edited by Mr_Alex; 12-07-2013 at 03:51 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM

15 posts, read 60,390 times
I think it is important to understand the past is the past but usually bitterness arises when there is lack of acknowledgment almost like ignoring it on purpose. It is always best to acknowledge the past mistakes so there would be clean break

Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 AM

448 posts, read 499,799 times
The percentage of Hongkonger having negative feelings for mainlanders is actually more than half for Hongkongers who have been living in HK for generations. For them, they may like to visit Japan a few times a year than visit Mainland China. Japan being more expensive isn't a problem as they consider Japan is more fun and developed.

I guess the reasons the Japanese dislike the Chinese is not mainly due to the war. The actual reasons are the great differences in level of development, manners, hygiene, work ethics... Japanese tend to be more friendly to developed countries foreigners than developing countries foreigners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post

Hongkongers still

Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,616,660 times
I thought this thread was about reasons why the Chinese disliked the Japanese. How did Hong Kongers and their little provincial feelings toward Chinese mainlanders get into the conversation? As far as I am concerned, their feelings are just part of the larger regional allegiances that China as a massive and ancient country is so riddled with. Who cares?

HK will always be a part of CHN, and those HKers with their little quaint Queen's English accents should either get used to it, or leave. HK is a free ciy and anyone can leave.

Back to topc...

Abe just visited the war criminal shrine today to pay his respects for the war-dead, including more than a dozen convicted war criminals like Tojo. Good going, Abe! China really needs someone to hate and galvanize its massive population. Abe is doing China a big favor because he is providing a reason for China's military buildup, and leading Japan back down the war path against China. He better be careful, because this time around against the Chinese, I don't think Japan will get off so easily with just two fat boys.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What are those Chinese characters?

China has influenced Japan quite a lot (even if some don't admit it). From the language (mostly writing system and loanwords), Buddhism, food ('ramen' is from the Chinese 'liamen'), arts (kabuki/Chinese opera, paintings, clothing), and Confucianism - but to a lesser degree than Korea and Vietnam.

Still, Japanese culture IS very unique and has many unique indigenous traits, from Shinto, to the food, philosophy, religion, codes of honour.etc. It's both really.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:27 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
My wife is Japanese. She says the root of her home culture is from China, and was adapted over centuries to have unique twists. Throughout history, Japan sent some form of tribute to China usually. In fact, 95% of Japanese people are ethnically closer to Han and other groups. Native Japanese, such as the Ryukyu and Ainu people, were pushed out and marginalized over the centuries.

That said, they have always felt independent from China as well. So you can think of it as having deep ties culturally to China, but starting around 1300 AD the ruling classes in Japan simplified the language and a totally different food culture and social structure came about, especially with the shogunate and the moving of the capitol to Edo (the root of why Japanese people have their social structure today can be partly traced to this period).

So, it isn't quite true to say you'd find Japanese people disagreeing that China is the root of their culture. The tree grows from the roots, and different structures come about. Modern history is probably the only time Japan and China hhistory have they been consistently been at loggerheads.
Japan had a rich indigenous culture before much of the Chinese influence, but the influence was quite pervasive too, since Japan was so isolated and China was the only culture aside from Korea and Manchuria that made much of a dent. I feel there are traces of Polynesian influence too, as well as of course the earlier Ainu.

What do you mean 95% are closer to Han/other groups? Japanese are about the same distance to northern Chinese as Vietnamese are. Both are fairly distinct even if related. Genetically their origins are multiple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or