Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's true. Some have also noted differences between the South and the North, it does seem the north is more reserved. Yeah the Viets definitely seemed to care more about it, they felt they were fighting for their freedom and their land, whereas most GI's hadn't much invested in the war.
I grew up in a military family with uncles who fought in Vietnam, and have known many Vietnam vets... most of them were only as invested in the war as they needed to be to come back home alive. The ones that did come back alive were put through the ringer and not only had to suffer the demoralization of losing a war, but also of that war being entirely unnecessary in the first place.

For the North Vietnamese, it was a real victory and full vindication. For the South Vietnamese, it was a step from an unpopular post-colonialist government, to an unpopular communist government... the North always viewed it as "uniting" rather than "conquering," and so the victory became one for all of Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah... that some people are big babies who harp on things committed long before their birth by people who are now dead, rather than much more pressing issues that affect them every day that are a result of their own leadership and sociopolitical/economic elite.

I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you?
I didn't even say anything with no hostile intent, and yet I get my head chewed off. Some people need to grow up

Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 AM

199 posts, read 336,422 times
A century hasn't even passed since World War II ended so there will obviously be civilian survivors of the conflict who carry the grudge and pass it on to descendants.

Does Nanjing and Unit 731 ring a bell?

It's not just China though, but other countries that suffered from Japanese occupation during that time period.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:38 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"with US and British commonwealth suffered too due to Japanese in WW2."...

I guess it's because many things look puny next to 20 million dead, many through mutilation, torture, extermination, mass executions, gang rape, wanton bombing etc etc etc. It's kinda obvious why others do not hate the Japanese as the Chinese, or the Koreans, do. This is something many Americans or Westerners cannot fathom. It's all easy kombaya "let bygones be bygones" until it's your kins or your country.

I can guarantee you that, if the Japanese mass murdered 20 million Americans, there would be no rebuilding of Japan after the war. In fact, there would be no Japan today on the face of this earth.
Having recently read Rape of Nanking, I believe the Japanese soldiers made the Nazi soldiers appear as angels in comparison. Big difference: the Japanese soldiers had to have fun in torturing and killing their victims, with rounds of laughter. No, what fun would it have been to merely shoot them and let them die instantly!!!

Any of these that were victims in Nanking, if they had been given the choice of being killed/tortured by Japanese soldiers or gone off to a more "humane" gas chamber, they would have elected to go to the more painless gas chamber, which, unfortunately, wasn't an option for them.

Germany has spent over $60 billion to victims of the Holocaust, and how much has the Japanese shelled out to the victim's families in China, given there were far more deaths?

Wouldn't this help repair the damage between the Chinese and Japanese, more admissions of guilt, and coughing up the same amount that the German's have?

A good share of the anger I would have had, as being Chinese, was allowing Hirohito to go blameless!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 AM

409 posts, read 497,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having recently read Rape of Nanking, I believe the Japanese soldiers made the Nazi soldiers appear as angels in comparison. Big difference: the Japanese soldiers had to have fun in torturing and killing their victims, with rounds of laughter. No, what fun would it have been to merely shoot them and let them die instantly!!!

Any of these that were victims in Nanking, if they had been given the choice of being killed/tortured by Japanese soldiers or gone off to a more "humane" gas chamber, they would have elected to go to the more painless gas chamber, which, unfortunately, wasn't an option for them.

Germany has spent over $60 billion to victims of the Holocaust, and how much has the Japanese shelled out to the victim's families in China, given there were far more deaths?

Wouldn't this help repair the damage between the Chinese and Japanese, more admissions of guilt, and coughing up the same amount that the German's have?

A good share of the anger I would have had, as being Chinese, was allowing Hirohito to go blameless!
The only reparations issued by Japan to China is a reappropriated Japanese investment, infrastructure, industrial, mining and liquid assets disbursed to their victims by the 1951 Treaty of San Francisco.

With the 1972 Joint-Communique/Normalization Treaty between Japan and the PRC, Mao waived all governmental claims for reparations from Japan. Despite that, Japan has since offered several hundred billion dollars in low-interest ODA loans and misc. grants.

Same for Taiwan, Chiang-Kai Shek with the Treaty of Taipei waived any reparation claims that Taiwan may have against Japan.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:55 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:

Just what accounted for Japanese barbarism during WWII? Not just Nanking but throughout the whole war to both locals and Allied soldiers.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
One must always bear in mind Karmic debts.

"Such a peace-loving country like China, how could this happen?"

Genghis Kahn and the Mongols, destroying the Middle East in 40 days, carrying the loot back to China?

Hmmm........ Are we onto something here?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
One must always bear in mind Karmic debts.

"Such a peace-loving country like China, how could this happen?"

Genghis Kahn and the Mongols, destroying the Middle East in 40 days, carrying the loot back to China?

Hmmm........ Are we onto something here?
I don't think the Chinese are necessary peace-loving...they were just isolationist, like the US pre WWII. The story of Qin/Han expansion, conquest of Vietnam, Tibet.etc, and the Mongol Yuan, and Qing invading Mongolia, Taiwan etc too.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 AM

164 posts, read 282,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post
I told my family that I plan on dating a Japanese lady and if marriage does happen,I plan on having a boy and girl which will be half chinese and japanese,that ran into severe opposition in the family
Right now, Japan and US are close allies. However, do you believe American have no caution for Japan? Hell no, Pearl Harbor will be remembered forever and American always deal with Japanese with caution because the "allies" relationship is not as firm as Uncle Sam says in public.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 AM

10 posts, read 13,291 times
Japanese are obviously still very hated by the modern Chinese and Koreans.
The Japanese do not hate them as much nowadays, "dislike" is a better word. The modern Chinese is wrong that they think the Japanese hate them nowadays. No. The Japanese are disliking the Chinese in the same way Americans, Mongolians, South Koreans, Taiwanese, Hongkongese, Vietnamese, Singaporeans, Malaysians...disliking the Chinese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia