U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM

65 posts, read 74,457 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a shocking move by my grandma was before she died,she still had her son and two daughters and the whole family still hating the Japanese,this year in a family gathering when I announced that in the near future I am planning on dating a Japanese lady and that if the marriage happens I plan on hoping that I will have a child whether a boy or daughter,it will be half Japanese and half Chinese,when my family heard it,they yelled at me for being a traitor,when I told them my opinion of forgive and forget,they got more mad,I like to know why elements of the Chinese still hating the Japanese,its just wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Sounds like a family issue more than a universal issue. Is your family Chinese - American? Or from the mainland?

I suppose WWII atrocities have something to do with it. Google "Rape of Nanking" for a good idea. This came at the end of the "century of humiliation" as the Chinese call it. Remember that China was a world into itself until the European colonization wave hit Asia. Then, the technological might of the Western world utterly crushed China and many cities along the east coast were colonized. Japan occupied the east coast and did pretty terrible things.

Personally I think it is stupid to hate on you for liking a Japanese woman. Ignore them and follow your heart.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,554,787 times
Japanese war crimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your grandmother was old enough to have lived through the war she probably suffered directly at the hands of the Japanese, if not physically then at least mentally and emotionally. I think her feelings on the matter are quite understandable. You and your girlfriend, of course, have nothing to do with this, so go get married and live your lives in peace.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:46 PM

528 posts, read 1,088,246 times
Until the publication by an American-born Chinese about the Rape of Nanking, Chinese policy was to favor doing business with neighboring Japan. They demonized the U.S. for using the Atom bomb on poor lil' Japan and used it as an example of of evil Westerners. Their textbooks preached the US as the bad guy and Japanese businessmen helped the Communists start businesses.
As China has ascended in world stature, they are becoming very, very nationalistic and this involves publicizing the atrocities committed by the Japanese on China pre-1945.
In the last ten years TV shows have proliferated showing the heroic stand of the Chinese Army against the invading Japanese. Now young Chinese feel the same way about Japanese that our American kids felt about the Nazis in the 1960s.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:29 PM

4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Of course, the insistence of some Japanese leaders to visit their shinto shrine to their war dead, which includes the remains of some class A war criminals, do not help. To many Chinese friends of mine, it's like how the Jews would feel if the Germans built a church for the ash remains of the Nazi High Command, and German politicians (elected no less) go visit, sign their names, and pay their respects by bowing deeply. This, combined with the Japanese refusal to use the word "apology" but instead use "regret" when they refer to the "unfortunate history" of WWII, make many Chinese (and Koreans) suspicious of Japanese true feelings of the horrific war (in both Chinese and Japanese languages...apology denotes guilt, while remorse does not).

And there is the persky revisionist Japanese historians who argue over the death toll, the validity etc of the "Rape of Nanking", much like some lunatics who refute the existence of the Nazi gas chambers.....all add up to Chinese anti-Japanese feelings.

Then, there are the islands (Diao Yus, Dok Do for the Koreans) etc and so the Asian game goes on and on.

China's rapid rise as an economic and military power also does not sit well with some Japanese, who think of themselves as Asian's #1. So, China's rising power and nationalism will run head long against Japanese own nationalism and arrogance. Of course, the US will come to the aid of its ally Japan....and supporting Japan against China is the cheapest way for the US to keep China down and retain its own superpower status.

So, Chinese feelings are genuine. But in the geopolitical game, it's China vs the US, with Japan increasingly the pawn that the US uses against China.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:39 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
It would have to be the older Chinese who have lived through the war and also folks from the Mainland. I know several American born Chinese and Japanese friends, who socialize together, dated and have intermarried.

I can understand the feelings from the older Chinese who have lived through the war, but cannot understand the feelings from those born in the Mainland, well after the war. The hostility seems to be inbred in their culture.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:44 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
if 6 million of your people were murdered , millions other were enslaved, u might be irritated too.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP3.HTM

Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
"The hostility seems to be inbred in their culture."...

I don't think you can really understand how deeply most Chinese feel about history...that is definitely part of their culture. To them, the war was in the recent past, and nobody is going to forget it. Like I stated, Japan isn't doing much to help the Chinese move on either. The US, of course, sees an opportunity in all this to delay China's arrival.

The Chinese leadership is also using history and nationalism to unite their huge country, especially in this time of growing pain and social turmoil brought on by economic development and change. Japan wants to break free of its peace constitution and the restraints that the US placed on it after WWII (and become a "normal" country with a huge military...its current right wing government under Abe is working precisely toward this goal), and the US, in decline, cannot help but allow Japan to go after China as a "lesser of two evil" attempt to keep China from challenging the American position as the world's sole superpower. So, I would not be surprised if there is a shooting war soon in Eats Asia. The only question remains...will the US go to war with a nuclear armed China for Japan? That's the real question.

In a war between just China and Japan...Japan will definitely lose in a big way. But with the US in the mix, China will lose, but since acknowledging its defeat would bring down the current government, Beijing will use its nukes to equalize the situation. The US may have many more nukes than China, but just three Chinese missiles with multiple warheads getting through and hitting several major US cities will devastate the US. So let's hope that cooler heads prevail and we make room for each other across the Pacific!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
It's not just China, there are some old folks throughout Asia and even here who still hold grudges. I'm not saying they didn't suffer a lot - I think almost every Asian's family/ancestors were affected directly, my grandparents were (for instances the Japanese rounded up and shot civilians for no good reason during their occupation of Singapore, they also captured my grandfather in Malaysia. Who knows, I might not be here today). But yes, I think that's in the past now and we need to move on. Still, the Japanese could probably do more to acknowledge what they did.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM

65 posts, read 74,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Sounds like a family issue more than a universal issue. Is your family Chinese - American? Or from the mainland?

I suppose WWII atrocities have something to do with it. Google "Rape of Nanking" for a good idea. This came at the end of the "century of humiliation" as the Chinese call it. Remember that China was a world into itself until the European colonization wave hit Asia. Then, the technological might of the Western world utterly crushed China and many cities along the east coast were colonized. Japan occupied the east coast and did pretty terrible things.

Personally I think it is stupid to hate on you for liking a Japanese woman. Ignore them and follow your heart.
My family is chinese but I have tried to tell them to stop hating the Japanese,I visited Japan earlier in the year and have found the Japanese to be very good people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or