U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCF2jqYEnKw]Giving King -[/url]

This VIDEO clip based on True story about Thai King and what he has done for his people. Take a look and you'll have a glimpse of the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Yes I've heard a bit about it. In Thailand he really is everywhere, there are people who make a livelihood painting portraits of him (seriously). When I went to see a movie at a cinema everyone stood up for the national anthem and to pay respect to the king before the show.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,574,204 times
We had the same experience at a movie theatre in Bangkok Postman. The King is genuinely adored in Thailand. My speculation is that he ties Thailand to its past and present. He doesn't get involved in petty politics and disputes from what I've heard and cares for the Thai people.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We had the same experience at a movie theatre in Bangkok Postman. The King is genuinely adored in Thailand. My speculation is that he ties Thailand to its past and present. He doesn't get involved in petty politics and disputes from what I've heard and cares for the Thai people.
Yes, from what I've heard he seems a good guy, and pretty down with the 'common people.' Also responsible for quite a few good things. Nowadays he seems to spend more time at his coastal retreat in Hua Hin, which is fare enough since he's over 80.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,397,810 times
I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of the "Father loves children" attitude that Thais have towards their King. It's one thing to respect royalty and another to have a cult of personality.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-06-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When I went to see a movie at a cinema everyone stood up for the national anthem and to pay respect to the king before the show.
I had the same experience....but I was in the front rows, and had no idea people were standing up.

Someone starting lofting candies at me, which were bouncing off my shoulders and body. I shockingly looked back to see who was lofting those, only to see absolutely everyone standing and showing respect. I quickly did the same.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I had the same experience....but I was in the front rows, and had no idea people were standing up.

Someone starting lofting candies at me, which were bouncing off my shoulders and body. I shockingly looked back to see who was lofting those, only to see absolutely everyone standing and showing respect. I quickly did the same.
Well lucky they were only candies...lol

Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,397,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Why on earth would you do that? You are under no obligation to stand for their anthem or pay homage to their king.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Why on earth would you do that? You are under no obligation to stand for their anthem or pay homage to their king.
I don't know if they have a law requiring that, but I know they have laws against disrespecting the king, which might even be saying a bad word about him in public or even private to anyone. Westerners have been imprisoned for saying unflattering things about the king in word or print. Either way, in their country you're subject to their laws, no matter how ridiculous or unfair you find them.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
You don't always know what the laws are in a country not yours. They do have laws in Thailand about disrespecting the King. We were moved by the little movie they played about the King prior to the movie as well as the obvious respect The Thai had for their King and we would have felt like we were disrespecting Thais if we didn't show respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or