U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Reputation: 1798

Advertisements

There's not a ton of drug use in the Philippines, but the most popular drug is meth (Shabu).

"UN drug report: Philippines has highest rate of shabu use in East Asia"

"The state department also disclosed that 2.1 percent of Filipinos aged 16 to 64 were using shabu"
UN drug report: Philippines has highest rate of shabu use in East Asia | Inquirer News

This is a significantly higher percentage than in the US, according to the statistics I've seen

For cigarettes, I find that they're very common and acceptable for men. For alcohol, it's perfectly acceptable and common to social drink for hours and hours, but public drunkenness is looked down upon. Whereas in the West, people might find it amusing and even encourage it in some settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I recall my first visit to Singapore, in the 1990's. I was flying in from Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific and was passed the Singapore Arrivals Card by the flight attendant to complete, before arriving.

The card stated, in bold letters: "WARNING, ANYONE CAUGHT IN SINGAPORE WITH ILLEGAL DRUGS WILL FACE LIFE IMPRISONMENT OR PUNISHMENT BY DEATH."

The stance on illegal drugs is pretty clear in Singapore.
Yeah now they're even more succinct: 'Death to drug traffickers' in bold print on the immigrant forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Drinking is huge in Asia, in fact it is becoming a big problem. In Japan and China, it is customary to get absolutely blasted with coworkers or for business deals, especially in China. If you don't drink until you pass out or are obnoxiously drunk, you won't get the deal done. Some ads for jobs in China even specifically state that the candidate must be good at drinking.
Speaking of which, whenever I've gone back to the U.S., I'm absolutely amazed at how few options and chances there are to go out for a good drink. You can do it, of course, but you have to drive home. So, you have to arrange something beforehand and make a plan, so someone else can drive you home. Additionally, most people in the U.S. don't drink all that late, and they really can't as most States have laws to stop at 1am or 2am. Plus so many restrictions, you can hardly drink anywhere at all in any public space. Must be private property or zoned to allow alcohol.

Over here in Asia, you can always get home without driving; and the night is just starting to get good and fun after midnight up until the sun comes up in the morning. You can pretty much drink anywhere in public. Completely different drinking worlds, and the Asia world is way way more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Speaking of which, whenever I've gone back to the U.S., I'm absolutely amazed at how few options and chances there are to go out for a good drink. You can do it, of course, but you have to drive home. So, you have to arrange something beforehand and make a plan, so someone else can drive you home. Additionally, most people in the U.S. don't drink all that late, and they really can't as most States have laws to stop at 1am or 2am. Plus so many restrictions, you can hardly drink anywhere at all in any public space. Must be private property or zoned to allow alcohol.

Over here in Asia, you can always get home without driving; and the night is just starting to get good and fun after midnight up until the sun comes up in the morning. You can pretty much drink anywhere in public. Completely different drinking worlds, and the Asia world is way way more fun.
Yeah American nightlife seems pretty lame outside of a few big cities from what I've heard, even Australia sounds better (even though Perth is rather lacking in some areas). Asia, Europe and Latin America is where it's at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,196 posts, read 2,649,444 times
Reputation: 2231
The nightlife may be pretty fun, but it sounds like they've (Korea, China, Japan) got an even bigger drinking problem than the US does, not to even mention the cigarettes. I say this because the image I get is not one of restrained and responsible use. It is possible to have a great nightlife scene without alcohol, right?

Maybe they should start looking at these problems instead of turning a blind eye to them but insisting DEATH TO DRUG TRAFFICKERS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The nightlife may be pretty fun, but it sounds like they've (Korea, China, Japan) got an even bigger drinking problem than the US does, not to even mention the cigarettes. I say this because the image I get is not one of restrained and responsible use. It is possible to have a great nightlife scene without alcohol, right?

Maybe they should start looking at these problems instead of turning a blind eye to them but insisting DEATH TO DRUG TRAFFICKERS.
You have an usual moral code. You want to criminalize, or restrict, nightlife, alcohol, cigarettes.... and you simultaneously want to encourage drug traffickers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You have an usual moral code. You want to criminalize, or restrict, nightlife, alcohol, cigarettes.... and you simultaneously want to encourage drug traffickers?
SE Asia and China have the DP for drug trafficking, not japan or korea, where drinking is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,196 posts, read 2,649,444 times
Reputation: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You have an usual moral code. You want to criminalize, or restrict, nightlife, alcohol, cigarettes.... and you simultaneously want to encourage drug traffickers?
I don't really have a problem with nightlife. Although I do like my sleep. But it just seems weird to me that two of the many drugs, alcohol and cigarettes, are so heavily promoted while the rest are so heavily suppressed.
In the US, it seems like those who enjoy their alcohol and cigs also don't have too much of a problem with the other drugs. Those who are firmly against other drugs are usually also don't support the use of cigs or large quantities of alcohol.
Although there are some who are in favor of other drugs but don't have high opinions of alcohol or cigarettes. That would be my category in case your wondering. And the other drugs aren't crack, heroin or meth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
SE Asia and China have the DP for drug trafficking, not japan or korea, where drinking is higher.
So arguably the countries that drink less also have stricter penalties for drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2019, 01:38 PM
 
131 posts, read 9,599 times
Reputation: 18
Tea is the traditional drink in Chinese and Japanese meals, less common in today's Korea.
Coffee is not commonly consumed by most Chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
How do people view alcohol in the east Asia? Do opinions differ as you go from China to Korea to Vietnam? Then how about cigarettes and caffeine? Are those heavily used? Then what about harder stimulants or depressants? I know China had a big opium problem in the past. Is this still a problem or has it gone away. Then what's the view on psychedelics?

Finally, how does India see the above^^? I'm assuming their opinions would be very different, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top