U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 AM

3,189 posts, read 2,639,643 times

Advertisements

How do people view alcohol in the east Asia? Do opinions differ as you go from China to Korea to Vietnam? Then how about cigarettes and caffeine? Are those heavily used? Then what about harder stimulants or depressants? I know China had a big opium problem in the past. Is this still a problem or has it gone away. Then what's the view on psychedelics?

Finally, how does India see the above^^? I'm assuming their opinions would be very different, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
In Indonesia drugs are a problem, rising number of kids distributing them though the number is nothing if compared to Mexico's. You can easily get drugs in Jakarta despite Indonesia's death penalty againts drug that has killed the Australians Bali nine drug trafficker. Anyway Bali's defense againts drugs are definitely more fortified since it is a tourist's heaven and it increases the government's awareness againts it, trying to get it into Bali is very hard but it is still available at some point. HOWEVER you do have to be careful as SOME of the dealer are in fact intels that works for the police force, you can work with or pay them but that would only benefits them in the end. Drugs is definitely not appropriate in Indonesia, only a small number of punk kids usually had them but certainly not at the level of US where almost every kids had them.

Alcohol in Muslim dominated Indonesia is not seen as appropriate but certainly is legal, large number of the Muslims in fact drink alcohol despite avoiding pork consumption. Alcohol is though very expensive due to the tax in Indonesia, you would see spirits more often than beers as compared to many western countries.

Ciggarette is dirt cheap in Indonesia, if you smoke then you are a very happy person, approximately almost half of the population smoke.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
How do people view alcohol in the east Asia? Do opinions differ as you go from China to Korea to Vietnam? Then how about cigarettes and caffeine? Are those heavily used? Then what about harder stimulants or depressants? I know China had a big opium problem in the past. Is this still a problem or has it gone away. Then what's the view on psychedelics?

Finally, how does India see the above^^? I'm assuming their opinions would be very different, but I could be wrong.
Asia is a huge continent and varies significantly.

But since you specifically mentioned China/Korea/Vietnam...alcohol is everywhere. It's way less restrictive than the U.S., where you can hardly drink anywhere you want, and everything is closed by 2am or whatever it is depending on the state. In most of Asia, drinking is 24 hours if you want it to be, and you can easily drink at the beach or other places you so desire.

Cigarettes are everywhere. Koreans/Vietnamese/Chinese smoke way more than Americans, for sure. Caffeine...that's everywhere too.

Drugs are the big no-no. You can find drugs, but the criminal offenses are way harder!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM

18,438 posts, read 9,548,793 times
I would second Tiger Beer comments. Alcohol and cigs everywhere and drugs are NOT tolerated. One thing to remember is that most of Asia drink beer but not much wine. Wine and western liquors tend to be expensive. However, Thailand has inexpensive liquor. When I was in Mongolia, they preferred Vodka, Koreans usually drink meck jue (beer) or soju (a sweetish drink about 20% alcohol that's cheap but you will pay the price of you overindulge...as many Koreans often do. Chinese drink beer and this awful wicked liquor at events where they will drink you under the table.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:43 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Drinking is most prevalent in Korea, then Japan, less so in China and Vietnam (where it's still seen as more of a male thing, although women are getting into it more). Alcohol can be pretty cheap, like a bottle of Bier Saigon is like $2. Of course not cheap for locals, but for tourists.

As for drugs, laws are strict, although there are still drugs around. God help you if the government feels like cracking down and you get caught though.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,639,643 times
Has anybody told them that alcohol and cigarettes are drugs? That's weird though. I would have thought that alcohol would not be tolerated much, especially in Muslim China and Muslim Indonesia. Why the excessively harsh punishment though for non traditional drugs? Is it cause of the previous problems of abuse?

And I heard that some Asians considered smoking to be a breathing exercise. Is this true? How about binge drinking, is that common?

And India I would imagine to be much more open to psychedelics, because India (at least I think so) is big place for deep meditation for spiritual insight. They probably don't have access to many though.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Has anybody told them that alcohol and cigarettes are drugs? That's weird though. I would have thought that alcohol would not be tolerated much, especially in Muslim China and Muslim Indonesia. Why the excessively harsh punishment though for non traditional drugs? Is it cause of the previous problems of abuse?

And I heard that some Asians considered smoking to be a breathing exercise. Is this true? How about binge drinking, is that common?

And India I would imagine to be much more open to psychedelics, because India (at least I think so) is big place for deep meditation for spiritual insight. They probably don't have access to many though.
Asia is about 67% of the world's population with enormous variation. You are definitely dealing with an enormous amount of variance.

Muslim China is miniscule. Throughout much of China, alcohol is very much tolerated without any second thought. Muslim Chinese are around, but they are rare, and hold very little political influence whatsoever, particularly not in any number that would influence Chinese laws in relation to alcohol, or even pork.

Muslim Indonesia...*sigh*...okay, sure you are finding examples tying one of the religions in Asia, and superimposing it over an umbrella 'Asia'. No, Muslims in Indonesians don't generally seek out alcohol. That's not to say they don't drink alcohol, but based on religion, it's not approved. However, if you were to go to Indonesia, you could very easily find alcohol just about everywhere. You are right, that generally most Muslims wouldn't drink it though.

Why harsh punishments for hard drugs. Various reasons. Reagan/Bush War on Drug Trade, drug trafficking issues, the effects on society, etc.

'Asians' considering smoking to be a breathing exercise. Never heard this. Again, Asia is an ENORMOUS region. You definitely need to define your 'Asian'. Your statements are like this: "I heard Americans can rope a steer in 15 seconds". Sure, maybe some can who grew up on a ranch in rural Texas, but just because one can there, doesn't mean it applies to ALL Americans.

Binge Drinking. Again, huge variance in Asia. Binge drinking is common in South Korea, Japan, etc. You'd never ever see it in India, for example.

Psychedelics. Many drug addicts from the west go to India for cheap drugs. But, they are still highly illegal, and you can easily spend some serious prison time for possessing or doing drugs in India (or anywhere in Asia). That being said, you can find it. Hashish is the one most commonly attempting to be sold to tourists/hippy backpacker types. It is illegal though, with harsh penalties.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
I wouldn't say Muslim China is 'miniscule.' Much of Xinjiang is Muslim and there are 40-50 million Muslims, including the Hui, who are like Han Muslims.

Alcohol is easily available in Malaysia and Indonesia, especially KL, Jakarta and Bali, but a lot of it is aimed at tourists or non-Muslims. But yes, quite a few Muslims do drink.

Yeah Indians aren't big drinkers, in general. I'm not exactly sure why, it might be due to religion, though I don't know if Hinduism generally forbids alcohol (I've not heard anything about it). But I think some Hindus disapprove of intoxicating substances, as do strict Buddhists.

I don't think psychedelics are common anywhere in Asia (I may be wrong). But yeah weed is surprisingly common even in countries with strict death penalties. Possessing or importing enough weed can be a capital crime in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam.etc. Even in Japan it can result in a lengthy jail term.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM

12,562 posts, read 15,036,884 times
I recall my first visit to Singapore, in the 1990's. I was flying in from Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific and was passed the Singapore Arrivals Card by the flight attendant to complete, before arriving.

The card stated, in bold letters: "WARNING, ANYONE CAUGHT IN SINGAPORE WITH ILLEGAL DRUGS WILL FACE LIFE IMPRISONMENT OR PUNISHMENT BY DEATH."

The stance on illegal drugs is pretty clear in Singapore.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:44 PM

3,762 posts, read 3,800,199 times
Drinking is huge in Asia, in fact it is becoming a big problem. In Japan and China, it is customary to get absolutely blasted with coworkers or for business deals, especially in China. If you don't drink until you pass out or are obnoxiously drunk, you won't get the deal done. Some ads for jobs in China even specifically state that the candidate must be good at drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or