Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,647,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Thanks for the info, I think ill give cebu a miss. Anyone here been to Lake Toba in Sumatra? Worth visiting?
One thing for sure is that you will see one of the most spectacular sceneries of hills with villages and farms, the lake itself are impressive and had several watersport activities and lakecrossing for you to do. The area Is filled with Batak Karo people who are mostly. Christians and have a very distinctive tribal culture, i would also suggest going for berastagi. However you will pass through some of the worst road to get into certain location and you might want a mosquito repellent.

Medan the gateway to the lake, is a craphole of a city and are utterly terrible. You really don't want to stay there for too long, the food are great though, there are large selection of Malays, Bataknese and also some of the best Chinese food. There is also several location in the city like a Sultan palace, a mosque and a square full of colonial buildings, but that is almost all it could offer.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 PM

399 posts, read 717,216 times
Cebu is my second home. I can't speak for the touristy part of the Island. I spend my time with the real people. When I'm there I'm up in the mountains in the province. No AC, mosquitoes, sometimes no running water, and not the best television reception. But I still enjoy it. My wife's family lives up in the mountain. Going down toward the highway we bought some land and built a small house which has running water always. The majority of the people are nice. Going to the malls is interesting. The levels with the different departments and attendants everywhere. I like the slow pace of life, but it's not always the most comfortable. I've been to a few beaches and pool areas but not near Cebu City.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,733,967 times
Thanks for the info guys. My friend and I have decided on going to Bali instead, which should be interesting since we've never been. I'm more into the culture than the partying etc.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 10,718,994 times
I had to bump this because this guy reminded me of you. He's Asian, Australian, and he travels all over. You sure he's not you? . He went to Thailand, Vietnam, and then the Philippines. I watched all of his Philippines videos, though I skipped the boring parts. He was in Manila at first, then he went to the northern mountains of Luzon, then Cebu, then Boracay, then back to Manila. He seemed to enjoy the trip. I think he had the right sense of humor for Filipinos, and he was very extroverted. I dont think he would have enjoyed it if he didnt have those personality traits. And he said he never got pick-pocketed or assaulted

I think this will give you a good idea of whether or not you should consider the Philippines

Philippines 2013, Episode 1 - Arriving in Makati, Manila (The Clipper Hotel, BAGA market, nightlife) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.