Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 AM

358 posts, read 410,651 times

Advertisements

Ok I get it nobody would visit there because of the worse situation.I am originally from pakistan living in Uk and i can tell you its not as bad as the media makes it out to be.The only worse places are the tribal areas which everybody should avoid.

I believe pakistan is one of the most fascinating countries as a travel destination.It has the worlds highest peaks and the ancient of civilizations.

Some of the most jaw dropping mountain scenery found on the planet

From Mountain scenery to the ancient civilizations of taxila and harappa and grand forts

to historical cities like lahore

Arguably the greenest capital in the world Islamabad

Its a shame some terrorist groups had to destroy the beauty of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,010,806 times
It DOES look pretty good...but almost every one of those pictures, I could easily see another destination looking quite similar.

Top half, places like Canada, Switzerland, Alaska, Nepal, etc.

MIddle half looks like stuff you could just as easily see in India for some, Egypt with the camels, etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:07 AM

2,233 posts, read 5,468,674 times
A Westerner is a target. In Asian countries, that means they rip you off any time there's an opportunity. In Pakistan, it means they might abduct you or violently rob you. The risk is way too high, imo.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,694,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It DOES look pretty good...but almost every one of those pictures, I could easily see another destination looking quite similar.

MIddle half looks like stuff you could just as easily see in India for some, Egypt with the camels, etc.
Yes, although the mountains in Pakistan are much higher, it boasts K2, the world's second highest peak. I'd image tourist infrastructure there is very underdeveloped compared to Nepal or even northern India. Remember Pakistan was part or British India, and the Indus valley was the genesis or what we think of as 'Indian' civilisation, and one of the very oldest in the world. For me the place in Pakistan I'd most like to visit is mohenjo daro.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
A Westerner is a target. In Asian countries, that means they rip you off any time there's an opportunity. In Pakistan, it means they might abduct you or violently rob you. The risk is way too high, imo.
Indeed, I would say Afghanistan is also very worthwhile, but like Pakistan, a lot of what prevents people is danger not lack of interest. I think the most underrated and possibly most misunderstood country in Asia from a touristic point of view is Iran. Tourists always have good stories to tell, if they have any idea of the culture and what to expect, and you seldom hear of violence against even Americans.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,441,276 times
I wouldn't visiting the place one day, but I'd probably get flagged by the ISI because I was born in India :P

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-11-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,510,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Yeah, but there are only so many landscape varieties that are possible in the world, I think it depends on how the local culture combines with them.

I've never considered the possiblity of Pakistan, I always figured it would be hard to get a visa. Do westerners go there often?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 AM

358 posts, read 410,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah, but there are only so many landscape varieties that are possible in the world, I think it depends on how the local culture combines with them.

I've never considered the possiblity of Pakistan, I always figured it would be hard to get a visa. Do westerners go there often?
Alot of Climbers come here because most of the highest mountains in the world are located in Pakistan.Getting a Visa Is quite easy.As someone who has lived there i havent encountered any violent incident.But everybody should avoid the tribal areas which is a no-go area for westerners the tourists -Spots and Hill stations are relatively Safe.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 AM

10,617 posts, read 15,938,097 times
Are there still any area's in Pakistan that are not mainly Islamic?
No Buddhist/Hindu influence from India?

Old 12-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Are there still any area's in Pakistan that are not mainly Islamic?
No Buddhist/Hindu influence from India?
During the partitioning of India and Pakistan a lot of Muslims moved to what was to become Pakistan, and Hindus moved to India, same with East Pakistan, later Bangladesh. Most Buddhists in India are in Ladakh, many Tibetans, and some near the Nepalese border, don't think there are many in Pakistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia