Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

My thoughts on Bali: genuinely friendly people (surprisingly few people trying to rip you off and didn't come across any scammers), less sleaze than Thailand (for instance no massage girls offered a 'happy ending'), prostitutes not really visible (at least where we stayed) although was offered by a taxi driver. Ubud is one of my favourite places, Seminyak/Kuta is kind of boring and the beach being covered in rubbish (at least at night) turned me off...didn't really go to Kuta, actually, had no desire to, well the central part of it anyway. Like how everything is so cheap, food, transport, spa treatments...etc...the scenery was pretty cool, as were the local Balinese architecture, love the gamelan and dancing...once you get away from tired ideas about Aussies by the beach resorts it's an interesting island with a unique culture. If I return I'll probably go back to Ubud and explore the countryside, but would like to check out Lombok, Gili and Komodo, well and Java too...too many places to go back there like 10 times like some people, Seminyak bored us pretty quickly really...

Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM

81 posts, read 246,441 times
ok

Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
My thoughts on Bali: genuinely friendly people (surprisingly few people trying to rip you off and didn't come across any scammers), less sleaze than Thailand (for instance no massage girls offered a 'happy ending'), prostitutes not really visible (at least where we stayed) although was offered by a taxi driver. Ubud is one of my favourite places, Seminyak/Kuta is kind of boring and the beach being covered in rubbish (at least at night) turned me off...didn't really go to Kuta, actually, had no desire to, well the central part of it anyway. Like how everything is so cheap, food, transport, spa treatments...etc...the scenery was pretty cool, as were the local Balinese architecture, love the gamelan and dancing...once you get away from tired ideas about Aussies by the beach resorts it's an interesting island with a unique culture. If I return I'll probably go back to Ubud and explore the countryside, but would like to check out Lombok, Gili and Komodo, well and Java too...too many places to go back there like 10 times like some people, Seminyak bored us pretty quickly really...
Hahaha surprised by the Balinese hospitality? the island where motorbike with key hangling and people ignoring it? (note this only happened in Bali as far concerned not other island)

Prostitution isn't a big business in Indonesia, yes there are prostitutes but they are hidden from the surface and aren't as open as it is in Thailand or Philippines, even when Bali is Hindus rather than Muslims/Christians. Of course you can't forget about the cowboy in paradise documentary when it comes to prostitution in Bali.

And Bali beaches isn't what you can call the best, it's more of a surfer's mecca rather than sunbathing babe's paradise. But Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa beach is very nice and clean, with descent watersport activity and damn there's bunch of young Japanese ladies having their fun there, i used to go fishing and collect star fish at the rock cliffs in Nusa Dua.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Hahaha surprised by the Balinese hospitality? the island where motorbike with key hangling and people ignoring it? (note this only happened in Bali as far concerned not other island)

Prostitution isn't a big business in Indonesia, yes there are prostitutes but they are hidden from the surface and aren't as open as it is in Thailand or Philippines, even when Bali is Hindus rather than Muslims/Christians. Of course you can't forget about the cowboy in paradise documentary when it comes to prostitution in Bali.

And Bali beaches isn't what you can call the best, it's more of a surfer's mecca rather than sunbathing babe's paradise. But Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa beach is very nice and clean, with descent watersport activity and damn there's bunch of young Japanese ladies having their fun there, i used to go fishing and collect star fish at the rock cliffs in Nusa Dua.
Well I guess after the likes of Thailand it felt like a nice change/less stressful. Indeed, it's an interesting phenomenon of a lot of women going there for that too. Why would Hinduism be much more permissive of prostitution.etc? India is Hindu and in some ways as conservative as Muslim nations. Balinese Hinduism is more liberal I think, or at least with less rules and no caste system.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:41 AM

Well considering the level of liberalism. In Bali and itself as a major tourist destination, prostitution didnt really skyrocketed there, most of the prostitute in there are from Java instead of Balinese locals.

Did you know that balinese women used to be topless, the phenomena still happened in remote countrysides and older generation in cities.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well considering the level of liberalism. In Bali and itself as a major tourist destination, prostitution didnt really skyrocketed there, most of the prostitute in there are from Java instead of Balinese locals.

Did you know that balinese women used to be topless, the phenomena still happened in remote countrysides and older generation in cities.
Yes, same with many parts of the world of course. I kind of like the fact prostitution is not big in Bali. The Balinese are friendly and gentle in general, their culture and everything.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,436 times
Glad you enjoyed it!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 21,522 times
It is because it is a relatively conservative muslim country, you can compared it with Malaysia and Brunei but for sure it is less conservative than the Middle East. I have seen busty local women in a bit of sexy clothing on Indonesian magazines. The trendy women in the magazines have fairer skin like those magazines of the Phillippines. Honesty is high valued, prostitution, gambling and alcohol socially not tolerated. Indonesia is not as developed as Malaysia and Thailand but is generally richer than the Phillippines and Vietnam. Immoral business exist but not quite visible. Indonesia is not so western-influenced despite centuries of dutch rule and pretty much a culture of its own, with some similarities with Malaysia and Brunei.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotepr9 View Post
It is because it is a relatively conservative muslim country, you can compared it with Malaysia and Brunei but for sure it is less conservative than the Middle East. I have seen busty local women in a bit of sexy clothing on Indonesian magazines. The trendy women in the magazines have fairer skin like those magazines of the Phillippines. Honesty is high valued, prostitution, gambling and alcohol socially not tolerated. Indonesia is not as developed as Malaysia and Thailand but is generally richer than the Phillippines and Vietnam. Immoral business exist but not quite visible. Indonesia is not so western-influenced despite centuries of dutch rule and pretty much a culture of its own, with some similarities with Malaysia and Brunei.
Bali is mostly Hindu, the only Hindu island in SEA and well only real enclave of South-East Asian Hinduism left.

Those things definitely do occur in Indonesia, Java moreso than Sumatra, and richer Indonesians can be quite westernised in some ways.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotepr9 View Post
Woot comparable to the Muslims of Brunei? the most conservative nation in SEA?

Alcohol is totally tolerated here there is a legal statement of drinking age but not religious, pratically it is ok for the Muslims to drink if they wishes too, unfortunately alcohol is extremely expensive here which helped to increase illegal unauthorized brewery and distiller mainly in local warungs. This causes the national alcohol consumption per capita totally untrustable as these illegal drinks are available in most cities and villages. but gambling and prostitution is not as much, but prostitution is locally available if you know where to find it and obvious red light district inside the gang (Indonesian term for small alleyway) exist, you might find it surprising that innocent buildings might turned out to be a strip club at night here, but still again it's nothing comparable to Thailand of course.

As for gambling, in the villages people still practice chicken fights, not very ok to the extremist but fine by the general population.

And lastly if you go to Java and eastern part of Indonesia the similarities between Indonesia-Malaysia-Brunei simply didn't exist, you obviously had very little idea of what Indonesia is, a democratic country with lots of freedom, its freedom of speech and media is better than Philippines and Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Bali is mostly Hindu, the only Hindu island in SEA and well only real enclave of South-East Asian Hinduism left.

Those things definitely do occur in Indonesia, Java moreso than Sumatra, and richer Indonesians can be quite westernised in some ways.
No i wouldn't say westernized, but they prefer things that are "western" than locals itself, which is a shame to some part of the rich.

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-18-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia