U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 PM

20 posts, read 25,866 times

Advertisements

News about the latest drug smuggler to be hung in Malaysia used to be common fare, have they slowed this down, or are less drug smugglers being caught?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athame57 View Post
News about the latest drug smuggler to be hung in Malaysia used to be common fare, have they slowed this down, or are less drug smugglers being caught?
That's still on the books. So, if you have over 15 grams of heroin to smuggle into Malaysia, you might reconsider smuggling it into a different country

The famous case you are referring to is Barlow and Chambers, who were smuggling around 150 grams of heroin from Malaysia into, Australia. Apparently they had done that 12 times before already before finally getting busted, and then executed. That occurred in the early 1980s.

Yeah, still on the books, as far as I know.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
I just got back from Malaysia, actually. It seems that executions in SEA in general are down.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 AM

20 posts, read 25,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The famous case you are referring to is Barlow and Chambers,
..I didn't mention that case. I've seen the film and studied it close, even though as is usually the case it's much different from the true story. I relied quite heavily on wikipedia for that, but it seems only Chambers was an experienced smuggler, Barlow a vulnerable fool, not that Chambers was clever. He had actualy been caught in Singapore with a small amount but bribed his way out if Wikipedia is correct (it isn't always).
What would be interesting also is opinions as to whether all that application of capital punishment made any impact? It doesn't seem to b helping in places like Iran and Pakistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or