U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
map of the Repubic of China pre-1949 showing Tibet is part of China
It also shows Korea and Taiwan are part of Japan

Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
They were part of the Japanese Empire.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
apparently you can't read a map properly, or can't even tell where Korea and Taiwan are, before finger pointing about the China business.

Well, most Americans can't. What a surprise.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I always wonder why Conservatives want Tibetan independence yet are vigorously opposed to the creation of a Palestinian state. At least the Chinese have a better claim to Tibet than the Israelis do to the West Bank. The only reason why the West wants Tibetan independence is to weaken China since with Tibet, China controls all the important watersheds in the Indian subcontinent.
because it is never about freedom of those regions. It is all about American interest.

Tibet "should" be a country because it is bad for China; a Palestinian state shouldn't be created because well, it harms US interest/influence in the mid east.

Only a completely fool would believe US/west's stance on Asian affairs are assessed in any impartial manner. It is always about what is better for the US/West, never about history/facts/what's fair.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
apparently you can't read a map properly, or can't even tell where Korea and Taiwan are, before finger pointing about the China business.

It does show that Korea and Taiwan, as well as Shanghai, are part of the Japanese Empire, though.

Perhaps your nationalism precludes your ability to see how the words "Empire of Japan" is written across all these places, that they are all the same reddish hue to denote their status as being part of that empire, and that Korea is referred to as "Chosen," which was the Japanese name for occupied Korea?

But then what do I know, I'm an American

Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,373,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I'll help you out - that large island to the NE of the Chinese mainland is Japan, the peninsula to the west of Japan is Korea, and the island to the east of southern mainland China is Taiwan. Since they were part of the Japanese Empire when this map was produced, then by your logic Japan now has a permanent claim to Korea and Taiwan.

Last edited by xeric; 04-28-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I'll help you out - that large island to the NE of the Chinese mainland is Japan, the peninsula to the west of Japan is Korea, and the island to the east of southern mainland China is Taiwan. Since they were part of the Japanese Empire when this map was produced, then by your logic Japan now has a permanent claim to Korea and Taiwan.
But Japan signed a document in 1945 to give Taiwan back to China.
It also signed a document to give up Korea.

Now tell me when China government signed anything to give up Taiwan or Tibet.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,373,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
But Japan signed a document in 1945 to give Taiwan back to China.
It also signed a document to give up Korea.

Now tell me when China government signed anything to give up Taiwan or Tibet.
Well technically you've got me. A defeated Japan was forced to relinquish it's empire (and sign documents to that effect). A good thing of course since it's not right to forcibly occupy a neighboring country.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 AM

1,011 posts, read 630,439 times
It seems that there are a lot ignorant comments here about taiwan. the constitution of Taiwan (republic of China) says the capital city is Nanjing, which is in the mainland. How on earth does Taiwan separate itself from Mainland?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
It seems that there are a lot ignorant comments here about taiwan. the constitution of Taiwan (republic of China) says the capital city is Nanjing, which is in the mainland. How on earth does Taiwan separate itself from Mainland?
LOL. I doubt more than 5% of westerners who just love to talk about Taiwan's separation know about this fact. They usually jump to conclusions based on what they read on their highly biased media, instead of based on objective reading and research.

for most of these people, their logic is: China is "communist" (whatever it really means, since our media says it is bad) and the CCP is eveil (among other issues such as pollution, lack of democracy, cheap labour ect), therefore China is evil. So it is a good idea for Taiwan/HK/Tibet or whoever wants independence to separate. This forum is full of ignorant posts like these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or