U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It does show that Korea and Taiwan, as well as Shanghai, are part of the Japanese Empire, though.

Perhaps your nationalism precludes your ability to see how the words "Empire of Japan" is written across all these places, that they are all the same reddish hue to denote their status as being part of that empire, and that Korea is referred to as "Chosen," which was the Japanese name for occupied Korea?

But then what do I know, I'm an American
see, I was right. You can't even tell where Shanghai is on the Chinese map.
That red area on mainland China is way north of Shanghai.

Could you quit judging the China business now?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
apparently you can't read a map properly, or can't even tell where Korea and Taiwan are, before finger pointing about the China business.

Well, most Americans can't. What a surprise.
What are you talking about, Japan and Korea and labelled as part of the 'Japanese Empire' on the map.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What are you talking about, Japan and Korea and labelled as part of the 'Japanese Empire' on the map.
isn't that part already explained?

What the map shows is that, it is wrong for many to believe that Tibet had been an independent country prior to 1950 (many westerners seem to hold that view, that Tibet was some sort of religious heaven completely separated from China until the evil Chinese army took it by force)

Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
China, how it should be:

China stops where the two major rivers (Yellow & Yangtze) end.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
isn't that part already explained?

What the map shows is that, it is wrong for many to believe that Tibet had been an independent country prior to 1950 (many westerners seem to hold that view, that Tibet was some sort of religious heaven completely separated from China until the evil Chinese army took it by force)
No, and the poster you responded to obviously knows where Korea and Taiwan are.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
China, how it should be:

China stops where the two major rivers (Yellow & Yangtze) end.
In that case the US shouldn't even exist...

Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Quote:
see, I was right. You can't even tell where Shanghai is on the Chinese map.
That red area on mainland China is way north of Shanghai.

Could you quit judging the China business now?
Shanghai was occupied by Japan from 1937 to 1945 one way or the other. I wouldnt go around accusing people of not knowing geography when you evidently cant read a map. A lot of your statements about China re: cuisine, contemporary society, attitudes, etc are off base and reflect your own idealized prejudices.

In any case, in regards to my "judging China,"

a) I live in China.
b) I love China.
c) I have previously stated that I dont align with the Free Tibet movement and side more with China in this case.

I'm judging many of your opinions and statements as being juvenile sensationalist, nationalist nonsense, which is in no way judging China. If anything, I'm rejecting your various assertions based on my love for and experiences in China.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Shanghai was occupied by Japan from 1937 to 1945 one way or the other. I wouldnt go around accusing people of not knowing geography when you evidently cant read a map. A lot of your statements about China re: cuisine, contemporary society, attitudes, etc are off base and reflect your own idealized prejudices.

In any case, in regards to my "judging China,"

a) I live in China.
b) I love China.
c) I have previously stated that I dont align with the Free Tibet movement and side more with China in this case.

I'm judging many of your opinions and statements as being juvenile sensationalist, nationalist nonsense, which is in no way judging China. If anything, I'm rejecting your various assertions based on my love for and experiences in China.
I'm curious, have you spoken to many Chinese about this topic? Or are they very reticent about discussing it?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,116,023 times
CHina chooses whatever map that suits their purpose. China has claimed land and had border disputes with many neighbors.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Then again the PLA incorporated Tibet in 1959, which is a long time ago. It may be more recent than what America did 200 years ago, but if you say China has to give up Tibet why shouldn't the US give up it's land? Chinese have settled in Tibet too. I am definitely against the Chinese eroding Tibetan culture and I hope the Han don't flood it and the PRC actually respect's it's 'autonomy', and if a workable system of independence happens great, but as I see it, and given Tibet's history, I don't see the occupation quite the way the 'Free Tibet' movement portrays it. In other words, why should China give back Tibet if other nations aren't willing to give back the land they 'stole' too?
Well, what should the threshold be, then? Is there some statute of limitations after which invasions of another country can't be addressed? When Iraq invaded its neighbor, the US acted swiftly. (Too bad Tibet is landlocked and doesn't have oil or something the US needs.) What about Indonesia's invasion of East Timor? That took years to resolve in favor of East Timor. Does the international community give up on Tibet just because it's been 50 years since China invaded? The problem is that no one wants to take on China, and China knows that. China knows it's holding all the cards.

Also, China's using Tibet now to wrestle land from India based on historic claims. Based on Tibet's borders during the height of the Tibetan empire. They're building a railroad to parallel the Indian border from Lhasa to the southeast, for easy mobilization of troops. They've laid claim to Arunachal Pradesh. They're not giving up Tibet, no way, no how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or