U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Burma? What happened to Burma was the result of various powers meddling into their affairs. Nobody thinks independence will be rosy but it gives ppl the freedom to choose their path. There are massive protests and monks still burning themselves to this day in Tibet. ITs censored by the Chinese media yet it gets out via smuggling of videos to the outside world. The Chinese gov't is completely involved in ther selection process of the Dalai Lama's and priests.
I think what needs to change is the Chinese government, independence isn't always the answer for everything.

 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Folks, as China becomes even stronger and more modern, these squabbles, pointless as they may be already, will be quaint in retrospect. Nobody ever questions the US borders...China intends, and should, emulate the US in that regard. A powerful and decisive military will always solve the question of sovereignty. China was at the bitter receiving end of that truth, so it intends never ever to be in that position again.

I am sorry to say, but the world has not really changed. Sure we have better medicine and technology, but it is still the rule of the powerful when it comes to countries.

In fact, here is a translated saying in China, where many think Chinese foreign policy is too soft....

the US.....I will beat up whoever I want.
Russia......I will beat up whoever that tries to beat me up.
France......I will beat up only someone who I use to rule.
UK...........I will beat up whoever the US beat up.
Japan.......I will bark at whoever the US beat up.
China.......I will scold whoever beat me up.

So, while all of you are complaining about China for being aggressive, the Chinese are actually criticizing their government for being too soft. Think what kind of policies a democratically elected Chinese government might pursue! Maybe we should be thankful that the CCP is relatively peaceful and clear headed.
Well China's past defeats and humiliations definitely play into that thinking.
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
 
4,706 posts, read 3,624,053 times
Reputation: 7401
Yes, the PRC may be only 60, but it has the whole collective cultural wisdom of a China that is roughly 5000 years old. China today is at least as much influenced by its historical experience as it is by its current political orientation. Some can try, but nobody has been able to defeat China.
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post

So, while all of you are complaining about China for being aggressive, the Chinese are actually criticizing their government for being too soft. Think what kind of policies a democratically elected Chinese government might pursue! Maybe we should be thankful that the CCP is relatively peaceful and clear headed.
China being too aggressive? LOL... yet nobody thinks the UK, France and US are too aggressive in attacking and bombing countries which don't even share a border with them.

All I can say is, it is still the West's world and they get to dictate what is truth and what is not. China being a much larger country, hardly meddles as many foreign affairs as the UK, does it?
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:52 PM
 
1,434 posts, read 2,119,882 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, the PRC may be only 60, but it has the whole collective cultural wisdom of a China that is roughly 5000 years old. China today is at least as much influenced by its historical experience as it is by its current political orientation. Some can try, but nobody has been able to defeat China.


Try Mongols
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well China's past defeats and humiliations definitely play into that thinking.
I think China is making the right choice of being rich and strong first, unlike Russia.

China learned from history that whoever is the strongest and exerts the most influence in the world will be the ultimate winner and won't get beaten. It is adopting the policy of minding its own business and not get ahead of itself by avoiding conflicts as much as possible.

When you are as big and strong as the US in the 1990, you get to talk as much as you want and those who would otherwise protest against you or used to look down upon you would suddenly be obedient. At least it applies 100% to countries like Japan.
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Try Mongols
and where are the powerful Mongolians now? And the Manchurians who used to run the show? they get to stay for 250 years and then history always turns on a new page.
 
Old 05-04-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, the PRC may be only 60, but it has the whole collective cultural wisdom of a China that is roughly 5000 years old. China today is at least as much influenced by its historical experience as it is by its current political orientation. Some can try, but nobody has been able to defeat China.
Yes the thing about China is the conquerors become the 'conquered.' The Mongols and Manchus might have 'conquered' China, and ruled them, but they got swallowed up in the huge Chinese cultural behemoth and their own cultures sort of disappeared into it. Most Mongols live in China now, and the Manchu ethnicity as a meaningful thing is now pretty much dead, with only a few older people speaking Manchu or keeping the traditions.
 
Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think China is making the right choice of being rich and strong first, unlike Russia.

China learned from history that whoever is the strongest and exerts the most influence in the world will be the ultimate winner and won't get beaten. It is adopting the policy of minding its own business and not get ahead of itself by avoiding conflicts as much as possible.

When you are as big and strong as the US in the 1990, you get to talk as much as you want and those who would otherwise protest against you or used to look down upon you would suddenly be obedient. At least it applies 100% to countries like Japan.
True. I guess the US can throw it's weight around, but it's coming under increasingly condemnation for the rest of the world for it. Yet it still has lapdog allies like Australia and the UK who won't question it because we need Uncle Sam to 'cover our asses.'
 
Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 PM
 
4,706 posts, read 3,624,053 times
Reputation: 7401
Try Mongols?/???

Are you kidding? Go look at an atlas, buddy before you embarrass yourself in public. There are more mongols in China than in Mongolia itself. Outer Mongolia is a basket-case, and their cousins living in China are far more numerous, prosperous and are technically Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top