U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,121,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Try Mongols?/???

Are you kidding? Go look at an atlas, buddy before you embarrass yourself in public. There are more mongols in China than in Mongolia itself. Outer Mongolia is a basket-case, and their cousins living in China are far more numerous, prosperous and are technically Chinese.

Embarass myself? LOL I suggest you read up on CHinese history a bit more.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^I wouldn't call either Tang or Song Dynasty peaks tbh.That was million years ago,everything has changed.There were basically no international relations whatsoever.

There were international relations for sure as shown by dozens of tributary countries and protectorates of China at that time. this is from wikipedia

The 7th century and first half of the 8th century is generally considered the zenith era of the Tang dynasty. Emperor Tang Xuanzong brought the Middle Kingdom to its golden age while the Silk Road thrived, with sway over Indochina in the south, and to the west Tang China was master of the Pamirs (modern-day Tajikistan) and protector of Kashmir bordering Persia.

Some of the kingdoms paying tribute to the Tang dynasty included Kashmir, Nepal, Khotan, Kucha, Kashgar, Japan, Korea, Champa, and kingdoms located in Amu Darya and Syr Darya valley. Turkic nomads addressed the Emperor of Tang China as Tian Kehan. ... Emperor Gaozong established several protectorates governed by a Protectorate General or Grand Protectorate General, which extended the Chinese sphere of influence as far as Herat in Western Afghanistan. Protectorate Generals were given a great deal of autonomy to handle local crises without waiting for central admission.

In terms of culture, Japan and Korea at that time was busy copying everything from Chang'an from Chinese characters to achitectural styles. There were embassies in Japan already.

West Europe was still in their dark ages marked by frequent wars between small countries and sudden disappearing of large population.

Chang'an already had more than 1 million people during the 7-8th century, the biggest city in the world attracting from businessmen and dilopmats around the world. In comparison, Greater London didn't break the 1 million threshold until early 1800s.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM

6,787 posts, read 5,144,365 times
Yeah I'm aware of those.
I should've elaborated more clearly,there were some international relations,but very mini compare to the complex situations nowadays.There wasn't even a clear concept of a sovereign state.
I know that there was silk road contacting the continent of Europe and China in 7th century.That's why Tang is known to be a "racially diverse" dynasty in the history of China.I also know that none of the European cities around that era was even 1/10 the size of any major city in China.
But still,I would not say the dynasty of Tang and Song are the "peaks" of China,simply because the international relations were very little around that time,and frankly,they were medieval days.There was no real "international" conflict.The international society in that era was more like divided by civilizations than divided by different countries.The emperors of China called themselves the son of the heaven and they thought they ruled every bit of the land in the whole world because they thought China=the world.China is called 中國 in Chinese because they thought the Loess Plateau is the center of the universe.They had basically 0 knowledge of other places in the world,the Europeans and Turkish were all considered as Barbarians by the ancient Chinese people.
Tang and Song were both by far the most prosperous civilizations in their times(I don't use "powerful" because Song is known to be one of the most weak-ass dynasties in the history of China.It was awfully bullied by Liao and Jin),but that's only because the civilization at other side of the world was still very obscure.

I'd say China is peaking now,just like UK peaked in the Victorian era,but they still have serious domestic problems to deal with.Tibet is one of them.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times
Quote:
They had basically 0 knowledge of other places in the world,the Europeans and Turkish were all considered as Barbarians by the ancient Chinese people. .
Weren't they Barbarians considering how advanced and spphisticated China was at that time? What were the British or Scandinavians do during the 7th century.

Quote:
Tang and Song were both by far the most prosperous civilizations in their times(I don't use "powerful" because Song is known to be one of the most weak-ass dynasties in the history of China.It was awfully bullied by Liao and Jin),but that's only because the civilization at other side of the world was still very obscure. .
yes, but both powerful and prosperours are in relative terms. If the other side of the world was still leading a highly unstable normadic or pirate lifestyle, the Chinese stable agricultural and confucious society was way ahead of the them. This is why I say China is a country that matured very early. The classic poems are a great testament to how civilized and highly cultural China has attained at that early stage. In comparison, countries like Germany, Norway, and including England and France are nowhere there yet.

Quote:
I'd say China is peaking now,just like UK peaked in the Victorian era,but they still have serious domestic problems to deal with.Tibet is one of them.
China is not peaking. It hardly reaches its full potential. Half of its population are still rural.
The averge Chinese will never be as rich as Americans, but it is not impossible to reach Taiwan's current level (much of its coastal area already has).

Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM

164 posts, read 220,467 times
OP's post is comparable to this one: Can confederate get their bible belt south back from United States.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:18 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,074,491 times

Kunleng News May 14, 2014 - YouTube

Old 05-17-2014, 10:24 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Thanks for sharing my tax funded, CIA backed VOA dedicated to the destabilization and overthrow of all those whom the US deems bad....

This is where my taxes are going to....wonderful.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:59 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,383,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Thanks for sharing my tax funded, CIA backed VOA dedicated to the destabilization and overthrow of all those whom the US deems bad....

This is where my taxes are going to....wonderful.

Don't feel too bad; mine go to the Daily Times.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,074,491 times

China attack: Urumqi SUV, bomb attack cause multiple elderly deaths - YouTube

Old 05-22-2014, 05:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Yup. more attacks by fanatic muslim Turks, but I noticed that the US media is always adding the bit about "oppression of ethnic Uyghurs".

When an attack happens in the US, it's "terrorism". But when it happens in China, it's "struggle against oppression". Yeah, right.

To see in another way....if terrorist attacks happen in China because of Chinese oppression, then what explains terrorist attacks in the US? I though the US was perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or