U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:18 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,630,503 times

Advertisements

China has 56 different ethnic groups officially, of which the Han is only one, though the most numerous by far. You don't have to be Han to be "Chinese". In fact, if you think only a Han can be Chinese, then technically you are a Han chauvinist.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:58 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Han Chinese who go to other places in SE Asia like East Timor and Indonesia often marry out.
Many of the early immigrants to countries like Australia or the US did too, partly due to the lack of females from China.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:35 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,954,367 times
Tibet is unlikely to become independent—both for practical and symbolic reasons. However, if China liberalizes its government, which is inevitable if it wants to continue its economic development, Tibet’s autonomy could be become meaningful or at least China’s hegemony would be less onerous.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:21 AM

"China’s hegemony would be less onerous."...

This point is up for debate. Those Western scholars who have done extensive research in China examining the actual workings of China's minority policies have on many occasions published papers that challenge the conventional and largely Western driven notion of China's shortcomings. Their message is not sexy, and cannot overcome the glamor that Western Hollywood types have lavished on the very often biased and one-sided messages of the Free Tibet folks.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM

"We'll see what happens after the DL passes away."...

What can happen? Once the Dalai dies, and he will, the movement outside of China will be leaderless. I am sure some young Turk will rise up and demand a much more violent struggle, and China will respond with force and label the whole movement as "terrorist". Most Hollywood types will lose interest, or feel too embarrassed to be associated with such an organization, and the "Free Tibet" drama show will fold and be forgotten. Dustbin of history is its fate.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"We'll see what happens after the DL passes away."...

What can happen? Once the Dalai dies, and he will, the movement outside of China will be leaderless. I am sure some young Turk will rise up and demand a much more violent struggle, and China will respond with force and label the whole movement as "terrorist". Most Hollywood types will lose interest, or feel too embarrassed to be associated with such an organization, and the "Free Tibet" drama show will fold and be forgotten. Dustbin of history is its fate.
After long enough time it might be but a distant forgotten dream, kind of like native Americans pining for their homeland back...I'm not sure how I'd feel about that, but that is how the world is.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 PM

79,020 posts, read 70,880,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"China’s hegemony would be less onerous."...

This point is up for debate. Those Western scholars who have done extensive research in China examining the actual workings of China's minority policies have on many occasions published papers that challenge the conventional and largely Western driven notion of China's shortcomings. Their message is not sexy, and cannot overcome the glamor that Western Hollywood types have lavished on the very often biased and one-sided messages of the Free Tibet folks.
Can you provide any authors' names or titles of these papers? I've been looking for analyses of China's minority policies for years.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 AM

6,731 posts, read 6,626,785 times
I don't think westerners can fully understand how Chinese people treat minorities. Their history is way too different.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think westerners can fully understand how Chinese people treat minorities. Their history is way too different.
I think the very classification of minorities is often political.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:23 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,383,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think the very classification of minorities is often political.
It generally is. In the West, a Han and a Hui would be the same "ethnicity" in most peoples' eyes... both would just be "Chinese," and the Hui would be "Chinese people who are Muslim." For the most part, ethnicity is viewed as something separate from religion while in other parts of the world, that religion can be what defines two separate ethnicities from within the same region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or