U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 PM

22,231 posts, read 23,744,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
My question is, why would they want to? Currently if you are a tibetian, you can travel freely across China, you can easily do business, meet friends, study at a better university, etc.

If they leave China they will be trapped inside a small area, all their exports to China will go through chinese customs and pay tariffs. Not only that, but they will lose access to the sea, making it expensive to export to the rest of the world. It will be much more difficult to manage business, and I bet the country will be extremly corrupt and mismanaged too. If they want to see their future as an independent country, take a look at Nepal.

I think most people in Tibet are more concerned in improving their standard of living, than to become an independent country.
Well, they'd also get exclusive benefit of the natural resources in their territory and presumably the ability to govern according to what their population wants--though an independent Tibet could just as easily be set up to be an authoritarian government as China's is or even worse, so who knows.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,711,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, they'd also get exclusive benefit of the natural resources in their territory and presumably the ability to govern according to what their population wants--though an independent Tibet could just as easily be set up to be an authoritarian government as China's is or even worse, so who knows.
Tibet doesn't really have natural resources with the exception of minerals. But all places got minerals.

Also, natural resources benefit the region that has it in China. They have a much better opportunity of extracting the ones they have under the chinese government.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,976 times
No. At least not in my lifetime but by the time I'm dead and gone Tibet will be majority Han anyways...

People in the west seem to have this strange romantic notion that Tibet was some sort of pacifistic paradise before the Chinese takeover, they remain completely ignorant of the fact that it was theocratic ****hole before the Chinese came in.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,284,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
No. At least not in my lifetime but by the time I'm dead and gone Tibet will be majority Han anyways...

People in the west seem to have this strange romantic notion that Tibet was some sort of pacifistic paradise before the Chinese takeover, they remain completely ignorant of the fact that it was theocratic ****hole before the Chinese came in.
Yeah the Western media is pretty anti-China.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 3,531,707 times
First of all Tibet was hardly an independent country in its lifetime. If today Tibet was independent, half of Tibetans would have gone to China to work. Remaining half will be dependent on Chinese Tourists for income.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 11,633 times
Tibetans pretty much benefited from Chinese rule, a lot of them managed to get enrolled with university and get a good job there rather than being a peasant and servants of the elite monks.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM

79,010 posts, read 70,855,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I think most people in Tibet are more concerned in improving their standard of living, than to become an independent country.
This is the thing. While most Tibetans outside Tibet are for complete independence, probably a majority of Tibetans in Tibet don't support that.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM

79,010 posts, read 70,855,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansmith View Post
Tibetans pretty much benefited from Chinese rule, a lot of them managed to get enrolled with university and get a good job there rather than being a peasant and servants of the elite monks.
True, but Tibetans used to send their kids to India for higher education, before the Chinese takeover.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,074,180 times

Why is Tibet so important to China? - Truthloader - YouTube

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post

this should be repeated every time westerners talk about Tibet --- most don't have the slightest idea of what Tibet was like before 1950 all i can say is you don't want to live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or