Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If we are to talk about Tibet independence, then I think the people of Okinawa and the whole Ryukyu island chain should be given independence. They were annexed by Japan in the 1800's, and much of their culture have been suppressed by Japanese culture.

Ryukyu culture is far closer to Chinese culture than to Japanese culture.
Nah, not really. How so? Ryuku is still a Japonic language. Most of their culture is pretty unique, not really like Chinese and a bit like Japanese although there's some Chinese influence. It's hardly accurate to say it's more like Chinese than Japanese...

Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by np6888 View Post
You could say that the Europeans have at least done some good things to atone for their mistakes. On the other hand, have China done anything except being bullied by smaller nations and taking smaller nations' lands(just because you failed in taking Vietnam doesn't mean that you weren't trying to?) Try doing something heroic once in your life, instead of all this land-grabbing.
You should learn a bit more about what "good" China has done in Tibet before making groundless accusations from your highly brainwashed brain. Your understanding of the China issue is way too superficial and one-sided. You don't start to be qualified to discuss it.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Well, the "small countries" do not show enough respect to China either.
Suppose China is America or Russia, do you think Vietnam, Japan, and the Philippines still dare have a "dispute" with China? They know (1) China is basically peaceful and (2) America will help them.
Right on.

Not to mention that many of the disputes are directly encouraged by the US as part of its Asian strategy to contain China's rising.

The US has troops in countries surrounding China's borders. Let me ask this: is it really because the US wants to protect those countries from China's invasion? one would be a complete fool to believe that. And how will the US feel if China has military base in Canada and Mexico? People just think out of their own shoes.

Speaking of Vietnam, much of it was essentially part of China for most of the time between 1st and 10th century under different dynasties and a protectorate of China thereafter. In as late as 1802, the King of Vietnam was crowned by the Chinese emperor and the word Kingdom of Vietnam was given. It has a history of biting the hand that feeds it.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Right on.

Not to mention that many of the disputes are directly encouraged by the US as part of its Asian strategy to contain China's rising.

The US has troops in countries surrounding China's borders. Let me ask this: is it really because the US wants to protect those countries from China's invasion? one would be a complete fool to believe that. And how will the US feel if China has military base in Canada and Mexico? People just think out of their own shoes.

Speaking of Vietnam, much of it was essentially part of China for most of the time between 1st and 10th century under different dynasties and a protectorate of China thereafter. In as late as 1802, the King of Vietnam was crowned by the Chinese emperor and the word Kingdom of Vietnam was given. It has a history of biting the hand that feeds it.
How has Vietnam bit the hand that fed it? Explain.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Postman:

I have been to Okinawa. The temples, the murals, and all the past relics, along with scrolls and artifacts, are all in CHINESE! In fact, the architecture heavily mimick Chinese style, and all of the arts are heavily Chinese. I hardly saw anything that reminded me of Japanese culture in Okinawa, except the language that most people used for their everyday life. It definitely was far more Chinese, and the king of the islands even paid tribute to China as one of the "near abroad", meaning once every two years, in the past.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Postman:

I have been to Okinawa. The temples, the murals, and all the past relics, along with scrolls and artifacts, are all in CHINESE! In fact, the architecture heavily mimick Chinese style, and all of the arts are heavily Chinese. I hardly saw anything that reminded me of Japanese culture in Okinawa, except the language that most people used for their everyday life. It definitely was far more Chinese, and the king of the islands even paid tribute to China as one of the "near abroad", meaning once every two years, in the past.
Well yes, the Chinese influence is there, but I mean the core aspects of Okinawan culture also seem very native, from language, food, religion, customs.etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:04 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
I think the only way the Tibetans can gain independence is during the next chinese revolution. This all depends whether the commies can keep the economy growing and prevent unrest. The Tibetans would also needs weapons and training. Who would supply them unless they take them straight from the People's liberation army using Mao's On guerilla war? Plus, Tibetans would have to gain military training straight from the PLA like the IRA did when the irish joined the british military during WWI. The question is whether botticelli will leave his comfy abode to in Canada, join the PLA, and suppress the tibetan barbarians in the name of the commie middle kingdom? Zhong guo ren for life \m/>_

Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
China never gives, it only takes.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:03 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times

Tiananmen Square dissident warns Uighur militancy on the rise - YouTube

Old 04-25-2014, 02:17 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times

Last edited by japanese001; 04-25-2014 at 03:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia