Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times

Advertisements

What does Taiwan-Japan relation has anything to deal with "respect to nationality"?It'd be more "respectful" if we hated Japanese with Koreans and Chinese and organized an anti-Japan gang together?Lol.

As for the Uyghurs,yeah they probably love China as much as you do.Let's see what will happen then.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What does Taiwan-Japan relation has anything to deal with "respect to nationality"?It'd be more "respectful" if we hated Japanese with Koreans and Chinese and organized an anti-Japan gang together?Lol.

As for the Uyghurs,yeah they probably love China as much as you do.Let's see what will happen then.
No you don't have to be anti-Japanese. However the way Taiwanese treat Japanese reveals the fact that they are very different from Koreans and mainland Chinese, and it will have some impact on their society and economy. That's all. Not necessarily bad sometimes.

Anyway, Japan is going down and has been surpassed by South Korea in many areas. Maybe in 30 years no one will care about Japan.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If you quack like a duck, walk like a duck,.... easy to judge.
If you'd bothered to read my earlier posts on this thread, you'd get a more complete picture of the duck, and it wouldn't fit your silly stereotype. But clearly you're more interested in pushing propaganda than ascertaining the truth.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
So you guys admit China has always been a multi-national country? Good.
We admit China has been a territory of other empires. That was the point of those posts you responded to.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
No you don't have to be anti-Japanese. However the way Taiwanese treat Japanese reveals the fact that they are very different from Koreans and mainland Chinese, and it will have some impact on their society and economy. That's all. Not necessarily bad sometimes.

Anyway, Japan is going down and has been surpassed by South Korea in many areas. Maybe in 30 years no one will care about Japan.
Japan will never be surpassed by South Korea entirely,at least not in the next 30 years.In several fields(pop music,Samsung),maybe,but the base of Japan is extremely strong,it's almost impossible for any Asian nation to reach the level of Japan.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:46 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Japan will never be surpassed by South Korea entirely,at least not in the next 30 years.In several fields(pop music,Samsung),maybe,but the base of Japan is extremely strong,it's almost impossible for any Asian nation to reach the level of Japan.
Don't forget the fact that Japan is projected to lose half of its population in the next 40 years.

That nobody will care about Japan will be a stretch, but Japan's influence will definitely be a lot weaker and this trend is set. Remember what Sony was like only 20 years ago, now who gives a **** about Sony?

I don't dislike Japan and I respect a lot of achievement Japan has made. But as a country of 130M, with the world's third largest economy (used to be 2nd only a few years ago), it is pretty pathetic to be America's bi*tch for the past several decade.

And the adoration most Taiwanese have toward Japan is disgusting. Probably some sort of Stockholm syndrome? I know Japan did a lot of good things when it occupied Taiwan, but it was still colonialism, and loving the former colonizer is something I have a hard time respecting.

Plus Japan's culture, pssss. Hardly anything is not copied from China and repackaged in a prettier way. The westerners are simply too dumb not to know that.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Don't forget the fact that Japan is projected to lose half of its population in the next 40 years.

That nobody will care about Japan will be a stretch, but Japan's influence will definitely be a lot weaker and this trend is set.

I don't dislike Japan and I respect a lot of achievement Japan has made. But as a country of 130M, with the world's third largest economy (used to be 2nd only a few years ago), it is pretty pathetic to be America's bi*tch for the past several decade.

And the adoration most Taiwanese have toward Japan is disgusting. Probably some sort of Stockholm syndrome? I know Japan did a lot of good things when it occupied Taiwan, but it was still colonialism, and loving the former colonizer is something I have a hard time respecting.

Plus Japan's culture, pssss. Hardly anything is not copied from China and repackaged in a prettier way. The westerners are simply too dumb not to know that.
I don't see any problem with us loving Japan,especially when you compare the **** KMT brought here after WWII with Japan's ruling,of course people would be more nostalgic to the "good old times".The adoration has nothing to deal with colonialism whatsoever,actually I'd say the reason is probably that Taiwanese people consider Japan to be a much more ideal version of Taiwan.Cleaner,safer,richer,and people are more polite and orderly.You probably will never get that.
Btw most of the Anglo-saxon world aren't that bitter toward the UK either,so maintaining a good relationship with former colonizer is not exactly Taiwan-exclusive.Not to mention Hong Kong.It depends on how the colonizers treated the colonies and how the former colonizers are nowadays.

As for Japan's culture,it's just a matter of preference.A large part of China's culture has died down anyway,people don't always associate those ancient virtues with China nowadays.Japan probably preserved some of those better tbh.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Btw most of the Anglo-saxon world aren't that bitter toward the UK either,so maintaining a good relationship with former colonizer is not exactly Taiwan-exclusive.Not to mention Hong Kong.It depends on how the colonizers treated the colonies and how the former colonizers are nowadays.

There is a fundamental different between UK/Canada or Australia and Japan/Taiwan. The Canadians and Australians today are not colonized. They are the descendants of the colonizers. Most Taiwanese are not offspring of the Japanese who used to colonize it.

A more appropriate comparison would be between the Taiwanese and the original people residing in Canada/Australia before the white people arrived. And do you think they adore the UK?

I perfectly understand your admiration toward Japan's order, civility and work ethics. I do too believe it or not. When I visited Tokyo, I was thinking "this should be what Beijing and Shanghai should look like in 50 years".

But you and I both know that it is way more than that. Average young Taiwanese almost love everything from Japan, in a much more superficial way (such as hello kitty kind of stuff and regard it as "culture")- just because they are Japanese.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
I hold China passport and will always be a Chinese.
China is not only Han's country, but motherland for all ethnic groups who love China.

You sound quite bitter.
What's there to be bitter about? I got clean water from the tap, a healthy food supply, and I can own property.

If Red China is so great, and you hold a PRC passport, and will always be chinese, then go back.

China is the Han's country. It has been since the Han dynatsy! Everyone else is considered a barbarian. Uighers certainly don't want to be apart of the PRC and their ambushing your security forces with only knives! Tibetans want fight back because its not in their nature.

Quote:

That nobody will care about Japan will be a stretch, but Japan's influence will definitely be a lot weaker and this trend is set. Remember what Sony was like only 20 years ago, now who gives a **** about Sony?

The UK only has 65 million. What's you're point? PRC is projected have population demographic problems as well because of the one child policy.

You should be glad the Americans keep a leash on Japan. The last time they weren't, the rape of nanking happened. It took 2 atomic bombs to make them submit. They would probably do it again and the PLA is provoking them. You don't poke a tiger in the eye.

If westerners are so dumb, why do you live in a western country? Why don't you go back to the PRC since its so awesome?

Last edited by Dangerous-Boy; 08-22-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
There is a fundamental different between UK/Canada or Australia and Japan/Taiwan. The Canadians and Australians today are not colonized. They are the descendants of the colonizers. Most Taiwanese are not offspring of the Japanese who used to colonize it.

A more appropriate comparison would be between the Taiwanese and the original people residing in Canada/Australia before the white people arrived. And do you think they adore the UK?

I perfectly understand your admiration toward Japan's order, civility and work ethics. I do too believe it or not. When I visited Tokyo, I was thinking "this should be what Beijing and Shanghai should look like in 50 years".

But you and I both know that it is way more than that. Average young Taiwanese almost love everything from Japan, in a much more superficial way (such as hello kitty kind of stuff and regard it as "culture")- just because they are Japanese.
People are not that into hello kitty kind of stuff nowadays,it was years ago when such things were popular.Honestly people are more into Korean pop recently.Japan has become more of a travel destination tbqh.

As for the adoration,it's more pragmatic than sentimental,that's all I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia