U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:43 PM

250 posts, read 271,505 times

Advertisements

Everything is so westernized in this world that we name things based on European's point of view. The Persians and Turks are the original "asians" because they basically name everything east of Asian Minor (Turkey) Asia. I think if these Europeans knew that there was a WHOLE 1/2 of World beyond these "asians" they would of definitely come up with another name for the Asians that we are familiar with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,117,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I think that's a broad generalization, the South Asian region is one of the most diverse places in the world, there's more physical diversity in Pakistan and India, then there is between Tibet and Japan.

India was a eurocentric geographic term made up by the british, there over a thousand languages spoken in India and over 70 spoken in Pakistan, each ethnic group has cultural and physical differences.

I find it really funny and ignorant that you say "Indians and Pakistanis" have the same foods, because neither of those are ethnic groups, the food somebody eats in Chennai isn't the same what some one eats in Lahore, or the food some one eats in Calcutta is really different from somebody eats in Peshawar.

Saying "we" have the exact same culture is just ignorant as some one saying Europeans have the same culture, there is more cultural and physical diversity in South Asia then there is Europe.

"India is an abstraction.... India is no more a political personality than Europe. India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

Before the British came India was made up of over 500 princely states, the British just amalgamated them into one big federation, that federation later split up along religious lines.

Typical Pakistani mentality you see here folks. The guy doesn't realize there was no such thing as Pakistan prior to Partition. India was a unified place under Ashoka centuries ago, spanning from Northeast India to Afghanistan.

Using an quote from Winston Churchill proves what exactly? The guy was a racist and used every means to make the colonization of India seem as if it was for the greater good!

Lahore was the capital of the Sikh Empire. Food is not very different from North India and Pakistan versus the South India.

The differences in looks are there but not as extreme as you may think. Most of the ppl who live in Pakistan lived in India prior to Partition. Most Pakistani and North Indian think all South Indians dark whereas there are no dark ppl in their respective places which is BS.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What about Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Lot of immigrants from those countries are also there in USA. Sometimes they are okay with being identified as Indians rather then explaining that there is a country called Nepal in Asia.

Dude, they all jump to say they are Indian when its something good. When it pertains to the negative, they jump ship. I have seen it many many times.....

Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think Australia was group in 'Oceana', Why India are not part of Asian? Asian was taken from the word 'Asia' right? So why Indian are not part of Asian so where do you group them then? Have you heard people from Nagaland in India.

This is Indian people from Nagaland in India, if you look for Indian 'Asiatic' look
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aw_snellac.jpg
http://www.indiamike.com/files/image...l-nagaland.jpg
http://mountainparadisetour.com/site...and-people.jpg

Naga people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually the whole Northeast of India, consiting of seven sister states have ppl who look like this.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Mahapadma Nanda (400-329 BC) was the first king to unite all Indians into a large empire. He was called Ek-chattra. Since then many big empires existed. Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka The Great ruled over one of the largest empires of that time.

The Gupta Empire, gave India its Golden Age - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gupta_Empir...

Since ancient times, India was called Arya-Varta meaning abode of Aryans. The names Bharat, Arya-Vart have been mentioned many times in very ancient Hindu scriptures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80ry%C4...

India was known to Alexander the Great as a single entity formed by a single way of life known as the Dharma, either Hindu or Buddhist.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 PM

The 500 princely states being thrown around is a mischaracterization. Most of these states were coined under such terms to control effectively. When any empire or kingdom was destroyed, it usually broke up into pieces led by various factions and groups. The British came via the East Indian company at time of great upheavel in South Asia. Many Kingdoms were being destroyed and reborn at various times. It was in the British interest to deal with these 500 states and give their leaders titles and gun salutes. While these kings ran the day to day operations, Britain retained Suzerainty over them. Whoever they couldn't control became a part of the British Raj. There was a slight difference. It was all about control of power, taxes, trade, etc.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,275,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Actually the whole Northeast of India, consiting of seven sister states have ppl who look like this.
Not in Assam, which is a large chunk of the population.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Not in Assam, which is a large chunk of the population.

Not completely in Assam but there are.... and I forgot to mention Sikkim and Ladakh

Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,822,146 times
I'd say the vast majority of Americans would consider Pakistani Middle Eastern, and I will not deny that this is because they are Muslim. I'm currently in Bahrain and the police force is predominantly Pakistani and it was a while before I realized they were not from Bahrain themselves.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,469,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'd say the vast majority of Americans would consider Pakistani Middle Eastern, and I will not deny that this is because they are Muslim.
I think that's true. The Muslim component is a contributing factor but I think it's largely based on physical appearance. There is no denying that Pakistanis look more similar in appearance to Arabs and Persians than they do Japanese or Korean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or