U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 PM

722 posts, read 920,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Depends where you're from. In the UK, "Asian" always refers to Pakistanis, Indians, Bangladeshis, and Sri Lankans.
asia is a continent with many types of peoples, the Pakistanis are one of the asian groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 05:54 AM

6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
asia is a continent with many types of peoples, the Pakistanis are one of the asian groups.
It has been a fight for a while I noticed it when I first came on line 15 years ago. America had taken on the oriental refers to an object definition which had not happened in the UK where Asians was the term used for peoples from the Indian sub continent. And if the websites demographics were close enough that one side could not bludgeon the other into submission and/or ban the other the Asian versus Oriental fight always had the potential to jump off.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Really? I thought everyone in Asia was either Chinese or Indian (!)

Old 09-02-2015, 08:56 AM

12,888 posts, read 8,725,709 times
Why don't the Israelis and other middle east countries refer themselves as "Africans?"

Old 09-04-2015, 08:58 AM

65 posts, read 46,672 times
Yes. The best Asia, South Asia.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:12 PM

9,856 posts, read 10,104,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, 'Asian' is a term with many definitions. Technically Asians include anyone in the Asian continent, which is more a political entity than anything else.
It is a word from Ancient Greece that may have come from Akkadian asu "to go out, to rise" so it would presumably be the land where the sun rose from. Greeks used it to refer to present day Turkey. It was adopted into Latin and into English roughly 1300.

Asiatic was the preferred term in Britain up until WWII, then they adopted Asian in keeping with Northern America and Australian English.

Euope is often explained as "broad face," from eurys "wide" (see eury-) + ops "face," literally "eye" . But also traditionally linked with Europa, Phoenician princess in Greek mythology.
It is possible that it has it's origin in Akkadian erebu "to go down, set" (in reference to the sun) which would parallel Akkadian asu.

British English makes stronger use of the phrase "South Asian" which is almost completely absent from American English. However, as the immigrant population from India has become very prominent in the USA, the term may be adopted simply to make a distinction.

Arabs lobbied hard for the census bureau to consider them "white", but it was at a time in history when such a distinction was much more important than it is today.

I think that many educated people today regard geographic and racial classifications as highly arbitrary and when pushed for clarification simply say "how do you get a definitive answer to a classification with no real meaning?". So if you ask them if Turkey is part of Europe, or are Iranians part of the Middle East, or is Russia European or Asian, or (etc. etc.) they just say who cares.

It's like arguing if there are two continents (North and south America) or one continent (The Americas). The question has been answered differently by different cultures for hundreds of years. It is an arbitrary distinction.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:00 AM

1,424 posts, read 734,340 times
I met an Armenian woman, in America, and she insists she is Asian...

Old 09-06-2015, 05:08 AM

919 posts, read 602,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, 'Asian' is a term with many definitions.
Just like any other terms

To OP: What would be the answer when a Pakistani asked another Pakistani in Pakistan where she/he came from. I don't think the answer is "Asia". Then we can conclude that even Pakistanis themselves don't think they are Asians, can't we? I'm kidding

What if a guy from Mars asked a guy from Jupiter whether a Pakistani was an Asian or not?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:07 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Near East:

Southern Russia
Georgia
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Turkey (except Thrace)
Syria
Lebanon
Israel
Sinai
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Yemen
Oman
UAE
Qatar
Bahrain
Kuwait
Iraq
Western Iran

Middle East:

Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan
Kyrgyzstan
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
Eastern Iran
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Western Mongolia
Xinjiang
Tibet
Nepal
Bhutan
India
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka
Maldives

Everything else in Asia is Far East.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 AM

9,856 posts, read 10,104,608 times
Default United Nations Geoscheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Near East:
Middle East:
Everything else in Asia is Far East.
Usually when people ask if Middle East is a proper term, and if Iran should be considered as part of the ME. Or is The Indian Subcontinent should be considered Asia when most people think of East Asia, or if Australia should be considered a continent or just a very large Asian island, etc etc

As I understand it, the (Middle, Near, Far) East geoscheme implies Europe is the cultural center of the world, and is not readily accepted by many people.

I figure that billions of people are going to have a lot of opinions. So the UN geo-scheme is about as official as anything, so I say this is official grouping, everything else is opinions.

South Asia
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Bhutan
India
Iran (Islamic Republic of)
Maldives
Nepal
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Eastern Asia
China
China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
China, Macau Special Administrative Region
Taiwan
Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Japan
Mongolia
Republic of Korea

Central Asia
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan

South-Eastern Asia
Brunei Darussalam
Cambodia
Indonesia
Lao People's Democratic Republic
Malaysia
Myanmar
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Viet Nam

Western Asia
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Cyprus
Georgia
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Oman
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
State of Palestine
Syrian Arab Republic
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
Yemen

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-06-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or