U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Reputation: 2386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The 'yellow race'? How do Chinese view other Asians in terms of us and them? Are there any that they consider say, cultural cousins? I know a lot don't like the Japanese, but do they feel any more kinship with the Japanese than say Indonesians, let alone Indians? How do Chinese tend to view other Asians in general traditionally and now?
Actually the term 黄种人 (yellow race people) is commonly used in Chinese.

Chinese people do think Japanese and Koreans are more similar to themselves, compared to southeast Asians. They all know Japanese people use Chinese characters, and Korean people are influenced by Confucianism and so on. They consider Vietnamese, Thai etc. somehow similar, to a lesser degree. Indonesians and Malays are probably as alien as Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Actually the term 黄种人 (yellow race people) is commonly used in Chinese.

Chinese people do think Japanese and Koreans are more similar to themselves, compared to southeast Asians. They all know Japanese people use Chinese characters, and Korean people are influenced by Confucianism and so on. They consider Vietnamese, Thai etc. somehow similar, to a lesser degree. Indonesians and Malays are probably as alien as Indians.
Vietnamese I would think more similar than Thai, since it's part of the Sinosphere. In fact along with Korea they're the most similar country to China, more than Japan. The language has a similar situation to Korea and Japan, not related but 60% of vocabulary is from Chinese. So much of the culture is Chinese it's hard to think of things that are indigenous Vietnamese. They probably want to associate more with Korea and even Japan because they're more advanced/technological though.

Remember Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia have many people of Chinese or part Chinese ancestry but I don't know if there's much of a link. Maybe in Malaysia. Are Indonesians still considered 'yellow race people'? Many old classifications classify them as such, and I think they're still of the Mongoloid type. There are Javanese that can pass for Southern Chinese and vice versa. Indians are more different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 AM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Vietnamese I would think more similar than Thai, since it's part of the Sinosphere. In fact along with Korea they're the most similar country to China, more than Japan. The language has a similar situation to Korea and Japan, not related but 60% of vocabulary is from Chinese. So much of the culture is Chinese it's hard to think of things that are indigenous Vietnamese. They probably want to associate more with Korea and even Japan because they're more advanced/technological though.

Remember Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia have many people of Chinese or part Chinese ancestry but I don't know if there's much of a link. Maybe in Malaysia. Are Indonesians still considered 'yellow race people'? Many old classifications classify them as such, and I think they're still of the Mongoloid type. There are Javanese that can pass for Southern Chinese and vice versa. Indians are more different.
In terms of physical features, Malays are probably closer to East Asians than Indians are. However the difference is irrelevant already, because people in China already consider them way too different. They may even use the term "brown race".

Chinese in southeast Asia are predominantly Fujianese and Cantonese. In fact many people in China consider them somehow alien even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In terms of physical features, Malays are probably closer to East Asians than Indians are. However the difference is irrelevant already, because people in China already consider them way too different. They may even use the term "brown race".

Chinese in southeast Asia are predominantly Fujianese and Cantonese. In fact many people in China consider them somehow alien even.
Malays vary in appearance. Some have significant Indian or Arabic admixture, some unacknowledged Chinese admixture. Some almost look aboriginal (more negrito/orang asli). Quite a few Muslim women look like Chinese (albeit southern Chinese) in hijabs, even with the pale skin tone. There's overlap.

So Northerners look down on Southerners (and maybe vice versa)? Do they consider themselves more 'pure'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Malays vary in appearance. Some have significant Indian or Arabic admixture, some unacknowledged Chinese admixture. Some almost look aboriginal (more negrito/orang asli). Quite a few Muslim women look like Chinese (albeit southern Chinese) in hijabs, even with the pale skin tone. There's overlap.

So Northerners look down on Southerners (and maybe vice versa)? Do they consider themselves more 'pure'?
I think nowadays Chinese people know no one is pure.

They tend to think certain regions produce good looking people. For males, it is Shandong, northeast etc., and for females it is Sichuan, Chongqing, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,204,661 times
Reputation: 2294
I would consider Pakistanis as Indian Asians same people as India just separated by state & religion, but physically same as Indians in asia

similiar food & culture as Indian asians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 PM
 
21 posts, read 151,933 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I would consider Pakistanis as Indian Asians same people as India just separated by state & religion, but physically same as Indians in asia

similiar food & culture as Indian asians
I think that's a broad generalization, the South Asian region is one of the most diverse places in the world, there's more physical diversity in Pakistan and India, then there is between Tibet and Japan.

India was a eurocentric geographic term made up by the british, there over a thousand languages spoken in India and over 70 spoken in Pakistan, each ethnic group has cultural and physical differences.

I find it really funny and ignorant that you say "Indians and Pakistanis" have the same foods, because neither of those are ethnic groups, the food somebody eats in Chennai isn't the same what some one eats in Lahore, or the food some one eats in Calcutta is really different from somebody eats in Peshawar.

Saying "we" have the exact same culture is just ignorant as some one saying Europeans have the same culture, there is more cultural and physical diversity in South Asia then there is Europe.

"India is an abstraction.... India is no more a political personality than Europe. India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

Before the British came India was made up of over 500 princely states, the British just amalgamated them into one big federation, that federation later split up along religious lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,136 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Reputation: 11621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I think that's a broad generalization, the South Asian region is one of the most diverse places in the world, there's more physical diversity in Pakistan and India, then there is between Tibet and Japan.

India was a eurocentric geographic term made up by the british, there over a thousand languages spoken in India and over 70 spoken in Pakistan, each ethnic group has cultural and physical differences.

I find it really funny and ignorant that you say "Indians and Pakistanis" have the same foods, because neither of those are ethnic groups, the food somebody eats in Chennai isn't the same what some one eats in Lahore, or the food some one eats in Calcutta is really different from somebody eats in Peshawar.

Saying "we" have the exact same culture is just ignorant as some one saying Europeans have the same culture, there is more cultural and physical diversity in South Asia then there is Europe.

"India is an abstraction.... India is no more a political personality than Europe. India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

Before the British came India was made up of over 500 princely states, the British just amalgamated them into one big federation, that federation later split up along religious lines.
South Asia did have various periods where much of the region was united though--the region happened to be in a period of disunity when the British came in and was able to play many of those states against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,296 posts, read 3,396,524 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I think that's a broad generalization, the South Asian region is one of the most diverse places in the world, there's more physical diversity in Pakistan and India, then there is between Tibet and Japan.

India was a eurocentric geographic term made up by the british, there over a thousand languages spoken in India and over 70 spoken in Pakistan, each ethnic group has cultural and physical differences.

I find it really funny and ignorant that you say "Indians and Pakistanis" have the same foods, because neither of those are ethnic groups, the food somebody eats in Chennai isn't the same what some one eats in Lahore, or the food some one eats in Calcutta is really different from somebody eats in Peshawar.

Saying "we" have the exact same culture is just ignorant as some one saying Europeans have the same culture, there is more cultural and physical diversity in South Asia then there is Europe.

"India is an abstraction.... India is no more a political personality than Europe. India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

Before the British came India was made up of over 500 princely states, the British just amalgamated them into one big federation, that federation later split up along religious lines.
Historically, India is best understood as a civilization rather than a country unified under one central gov't for most of history. If you want to talk about an artificial entity created purely on religious grounds, look no further than your native Pakistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,204,661 times
Reputation: 2294
my friend Mohammed is from Pakistan and he himself told me they were also Indian people, the same blood as people from Pakistan

I didnt say they were exactly the same, but similiar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top