U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think nowadays Chinese people know no one is pure.

They tend to think certain regions produce good looking people. For males, it is Shandong, northeast etc., and for females it is Sichuan, Chongqing, etc.
What does 'pure' even mean? As far as we know, we're all mostly pure humans, unless you count the neanderthal genes. Culture is distinct from genetics anyway.

Yeah I've heard about these stereotypes. That people from Shandong are tall, Sichuan women are beautiful.etc. I feel they're probably exaggerated, but there might be a bit of truth to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I think that's a broad generalization, the South Asian region is one of the most diverse places in the world, there's more physical diversity in Pakistan and India, then there is between Tibet and Japan.

India was a eurocentric geographic term made up by the british, there over a thousand languages spoken in India and over 70 spoken in Pakistan, each ethnic group has cultural and physical differences.

I find it really funny and ignorant that you say "Indians and Pakistanis" have the same foods, because neither of those are ethnic groups, the food somebody eats in Chennai isn't the same what some one eats in Lahore, or the food some one eats in Calcutta is really different from somebody eats in Peshawar.

Saying "we" have the exact same culture is just ignorant as some one saying Europeans have the same culture, there is more cultural and physical diversity in South Asia then there is Europe.

"India is an abstraction.... India is no more a political personality than Europe. India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator." -Winston Churchill

Before the British came India was made up of over 500 princely states, the British just amalgamated them into one big federation, that federation later split up along religious lines.
Agree, but what I think people mean when they say Pakistan is the same or similar to India is that Pakistan itself is an artificial political concept created during the 1947 partition of India. But you're right that India is very diverse, culturally moreso than even Europe I would argue. It's a 'sub-continent' not only geologically but ethnically, with many languages, religions.etc. Actually, prior to independence it was never really fully united as a kingdom aside from Ashoka, I think even the Mughals and the British Raj never ruled over all of it.

But yes, I think when one says that Pakistan is the same as India, one is saying that culturally they are not much different to Indians on the border. They speak Urdu - basically a form of Hindi I think (correct me if I'm wrong) written in Arabic script, and there are Punjabis in Pakistan. The big difference is Islam. There are Indian Muslims, but, and this surprised me at first but thinking about it doesn't surprise me, those states bordering Pakistan are no more Muslim than most of India and indeed LESS so... I feel Hinduism is probably the closest thing to a pan-Indian culture, even though one does not have to be Hindu to be Indian and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,803 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
my friend Mohammed is from Pakistan and he himself told me they were also Indian people, the same blood as people from Pakistan

I didnt say they were exactly the same, but similiar

That's funny because even Indians from different parts of their country aren't of the 'same blood' let alone Pakistanis, your Pakistani friend might be a 'Muhajir'(Indian Muslim migrant) in Pakistan so he might have an affinity for India but about 93% of Pakistanis are indigenous to present-day Pakistan and even the 7% that descends from Indian Muslim migrants, most of them would never call themselves Indian, that would be like an Anglo-Canadian calling himself an American.

Anglo-Canadians and Americans have FAR more in common with each other than Pakistanis and Indians do, but you would never hear a Canadian call himself American, in fact most of them take pride in the few differences they do have, yet when it comes to other ethnicities/nationalities outside the west, western people like to paint us all with same brush, probably because it's convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,803 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Historically, India is best understood as a civilization rather than a country unified under one central gov't for most of history. If you want to talk about an artificial entity created purely on religious grounds, look no further than your native Pakistan.
What exactly is an artificial or natural country?There are only 2 natural countries in the world: Japan and Hungary, the rest of the countries are artificial because they're diverse and if you're claiming that Pakistan is an artificial because it was created because of religion, well then Israel,Bosnia,Belgium and South Sudan are all "artificial" because they created because of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
Any country located in Asia for me it's Asian because its a geographical definition of people living in that continent whatever race or culture they have. So I considered South Asia as Asians too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
That's funny because even Indians from different parts of their country aren't of the 'same blood' let alone Pakistanis, your Pakistani friend might be a 'Muhajir'(Indian Muslim migrant) in Pakistan so he might have an affinity for India but about 93% of Pakistanis are indigenous to present-day Pakistan and even the 7% that descends from Indian Muslim migrants, most of them would never call themselves Indian, that would be like an Anglo-Canadian calling himself an American.

Anglo-Canadians and Americans have FAR more in common with each other than Pakistanis and Indians do, but you would never hear a Canadian call himself American, in fact most of them take pride in the few differences they do have, yet when it comes to other ethnicities/nationalities outside the west, western people like to paint us all with same brush, probably because it's convenient.
Before 1947 there were no 'Pakistanis', so in that sense, the whole Pakistani identity is a pretty recent thing. They were just seen as Indians, as Pakistan was part of British India. I think that's more what we're saying, not that all Indians are alike. In the last half century or so though it seems Pakistan has tried to distance itself from it's neighbour for political and religious reasons. I mean Urdu is basically a variety of Hindi, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
What exactly is an artificial or natural country?There are only 2 natural countries in the world: Japan and Hungary, the rest of the countries are artificial because they're diverse and if you're claiming that Pakistan is an artificial because it was created because of religion, well then Israel,Bosnia,Belgium and South Sudan are all "artificial" because they created because of religion.
Because they're diverse? There are plenty of other ethnically homogeneous countries in the world, not just Hungary and Japan. All nations are manmade, some are just older than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,088,556 times
Reputation: 2136
Well it depends on what country you're in. The USA seems to think of East Asians (Japanese, Indonesian, Mongolian, Chinese, Korean, etc) when they hear someone say 'Asian'. Britain thinks of South Asians (Pakistanis, Indians, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, Nepalese, etc) when they hear the term 'Asian'. Personally I distinguish. If I'm referring to someone Armenian (Cher, Kardashians), Persian (Christiane Amanpour) or Arab (King Hussein), I'd refer to them as West Asian if their ethnicity was brought up. If I'm referring to someone like Gong Li or Hirohito, I'd describe them as East Asian. If I'm thinking of someone from India or Pakistan, I'd say they were South Asian. If I'm referring to the ethnic groups of Siberian Russia, I'd say they were North Asian. And so on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478
The 'Asian' term bothers me as well.

I like to use 'Pacific Asians' at times, to differentiate the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc. But it's not a commonly used term either.

For Pakistanis, I think sometimes get lumped as South Asians or Middle Eastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2013, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Anyone who thinks of Pakistan as Middle East is ignorant, even though it's not always an exact term. It's South Asian, part of the Indian sub-continent. Pakistanis are basically the same as Indians culturally speaking, or Indians from the Northeast who are Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top