U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
technically they are on the asian continent but racially they are not really asians

definitely not of the mongol race of asians

so I guess it's best to ask a Pakistani what they prefer to be known as?
But who decided that "Asian" refers to Mongoloid people? In that case, Native Americans are Asians, and Pacific Islanders are mostly Asian as well.

And the Pakistanis I know call themselves Asian as much as East Asians do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM

613 posts, read 892,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
But who decided that "Asian" refers to Mongoloid people? In that case, Native Americans are Asians, and Pacific Islanders are mostly Asian as well.

And the Pakistanis I know call themselves Asian as much as East Asians do
Exactly, all of the New World native people (From Alaska down to Patagonia) are descended from East Asian people and that's essentially 2 continents further "east" than East Asia. But no one would say native Chileans or Greenlanders are Asian by extension!

Also, just because American media uses a definition of Asia that is narrow in scope doesn't mean that people in other nations, such as the Asians themselves have to use it in their own countries.

Who's to say that the American definition of East/Southeast Asians only is more "right" than the British one of South Asians?

The fact that the American media uses Asian in a certain way is just the luck of geography. Just look at how much closer America (especially considering Alaska's distance to the Asian part of Russia, and that the USA has lots of island territories west of Hawaii, such as Guam and those other Pacific islands) is to East Asia than West Asia. Also, considering that the US once controlled the Philippines, and fought wars with East Asia for much of the 20th century, from Japan to Vietnam, only recently did South or West Asia (the Middle East) make more headlines. This must have skewed American perception a lot and meant that American media focused on the Pacific rim or edge of Asia and not anywhere further west for much of its history.

It's kind of ironic that the earliest "westerners" -- Greeks and Romans, saw only the western edge of Asia and thought of it as "Asia", while Americans today focus only on the eastern edge and think of it as the archetype. Today, if we use only Asia to refer to one part of Asia, we're just like the early Greeks and Romans, in either not realizing or giving justice to the full size and scope of the continent.

I think also, we should be clear when we use Asian whether we mean people, places or things common to all of Asia, or only specifically to one part like East Asia, South Asia, West Asia etc. At the very least we should do this so we know what we are talking about. Or, so at least for Americans, so as not to be stereotyped as being bad at geography.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,517,237 times
A Pocket Guide to India - CBI Theater of World War II

*Red Cross Guide Book to India - CBI Theater of World War II

This guide was issued to American soldiers who were stationed to India around 1943-45, last stages of World War-2. That time India included Pakistan and Bangladesh. They have not mentioned word Asia anywhere.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM

322 posts, read 194,085 times
As a Pakistani myself, I refer to myself as Asian. Specifically South Asian. Asia is a diverse place with millions of people and cultures, religions and languages. I don't think we should be asking other people what they think we are, but more how we view ourselves. I would however say Asian, since we are a part of Asia. The only Asians are not for example: Korean, Japanese, Chinese. Bangladeshi, Indian, Filipino, Indonesia and many more consider themselves Asian. I have been wrongly labeled as Middle Eastern, when Pakistan is NOT in the Middle East. It can be an issue though because when I get asked what I am I am not Asian enough (appearance wise) but not Middle Eastern either (which I know I am not) so it can get really frustrating to have your identity constantly erased and questioned.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
I have been wrongly labeled as Middle Eastern, when Pakistan is NOT in the Middle East. It can be an issue though because when I get asked what I am I am not Asian enough (appearance wise) but not Middle Eastern either (which I know I am not) so it can get really frustrating to have your identity constantly erased and questioned.
In the US, I think that people tend to think of Indians as their own race separate from Asians or Middle Easterners; when they think of a Pakistani, they may think of them as Middle Eastern simply because most of them are Muslim, and have no real perception as to the region's history or shared culture. But, unless they know that a person is specifically Pakistani rather than Indian, they wouldn't necessarily think of them as such.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
In the US, I think that people tend to think of Indians as their own race separate from Asians or Middle Easterners; when they think of a Pakistani, they may think of them as Middle Eastern simply because most of them are Muslim, and have no real perception as to the region's history or shared culture. But, unless they know that a person is specifically Pakistani rather than Indian, they wouldn't necessarily think of them as such.
I would have to agree with you. I don't really blame anyone, it can get really confusing to someone who has no background or knowledge.
People just lump Indians and Pakistanis together but that is problematic as there are many differences between the language
(however slight in speaking, written is different) foods, religion and culture.
It gets exasperating to explain it sometimes, lol.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
I would have to agree with you. I don't really blame anyone, it can get really confusing to someone who has no background or knowledge.
People just lump Indians and Pakistanis together but that is problematic as there are many differences between the language
(however slight in speaking, written is different) foods, religion and culture.
It gets exasperating to explain it sometimes, lol.
What about Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Lot of immigrants from those countries are also there in USA. Sometimes they are okay with being identified as Indians rather then explaining that there is a country called Nepal in Asia.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What about Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Lot of immigrants from those countries are also there in USA. Sometimes they are okay with being identified as Indians rather then explaining that there is a country called Nepal in Asia.
Of course, I realize this. I know it is not just Indians and Pakistanis, I was just addressing the subject of the thread.
Yes some of them might be, but I know many Bangladeshis who are NOT okay with being identified as Indian. It erases their culture and identity. Some people get very offended about it.
Sure it is easier than explaining, and if they feel fine with identifying themselves as such totally okay and their choice.
However it should be understood that for the sake of having to explaining that one should just group themselves with people they don't identify with does not make much sense to me.
If someone asks me if I am Indian, it is very easy to just say no, I am from Pakistan.
Why should anyone have their identity erased just for the sake of making it easy for others to understand? Never heard of Pakistan? Well, now you have. That is the way I see it.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:31 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,706,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm surprised most Americans would make a distinction between Indians and Pakistanis. I would think they would think you were probably Indian unless you told them otherwise. Don't Pakistanis perform as well as Indians academically in the US?
Pakistanis and Indians are basically the same people,often share the same culture and both are asians.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 PM

USA had all the wars with Japan, Korea, Vietnam and they used the word "Asia" all the time. For troubles with Iraq, they used the term "Middle East". i wonder what term they use for Afghanistan because I dont think it comes in Middle East. Interestingly, Iran is in Middle east and it is a neighbor of Pakistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or