U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:30 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times

Advertisements

There is basically no Pakistani in Taiwan so I have no idea about what other people think,but I think they are Asian,or what else should they be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 03:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_allen View Post
I don't think Asian people consider the people on the west side of the Asian continent, which means the side that passes beyond Myanmar and China borders, Asians. I think the term "Asian" actually indicates the "Oriental Asian" only. Indians are just....Indians. Yeah, I find it very "confusing" when in the US census forms and sorts, they put Indians and Pakistanis as "Asian" but in real life, nobody sees them the same as the "Asians" we're so get used to. Should they add another category for people from the west side of the Asian continent?
Last year when the Miss America Pageant crowned the first ever contestant of Indian descent and there was an huge amount of racist remarks on social media sites like Twitter. People were saying things like "Miss America is brought to by their sponsors PF Changs and 7-11." and "Congratulations Al-Qaeda. Our Miss America is one of you". You can almost guarantee that if a Miss America had been of East Asian descent, there wouldn't have been racist comments like the ones posted on Twitter.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...american-woman

http://st2.india.com/wp-content/uplo...ss-america.jpg

Old 07-06-2014, 08:01 PM

613 posts, read 892,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Part of it is cultural, too: East and Southeast Asia are more directly influenced by Chinese culture (the Sinosphere) and India and South Asia have their own, separate dominant culture that is equally ancient.
Well, in some parts of southeast Asia, India influenced as much as China did, even moreso locally in some places, depending on the time period historically. For example, Bali, Indonesia is still Hindu today.

Countries and regions, like Indo-china (being influenced by both Chinese and Indian civilizations) and Indonesia bear the Indo- prefix for a reason. I don't think say Indonesia, was historically any closer to China than India, although there are lots of ethnic Chinese themselves living in Indonesia today.

Greater India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In any case, I find it interesting that Asians in the Old World countries themselves would use a race-based definition invented by the west, or Americans. Might this be media influence through globalization? I don't think Asians thought of themselves as a group called "Asians" prior to western media.

Last edited by markovian process; 07-06-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 13,377 times
I think it also depends on where in you're asking (especially in America) in NYC for example, you'll be lumped with Indians, Bengali, Sri Lankan, and Nepali people, who then are broadly categorized as Asian. Elsewhere, you will either be categorized as middle eastern or in a class of your own.

I can't speak for beyond where I live (NYC), but here people are definitely more conscious of South Asian diversity and I think they would see fit to equate Pakistani-Americans with Punjabi people and other North Indians. And Bengali people and South Indian people fall into their own group. I only say this because of the stereotypes that exist for these groups as well, however untrue they may be.

For example, punjabi people I think are less regarded in the academic light than South Indians and Bengalis. And because of similar physical features (I may be wrong but aren't a lot of punjabi Indian people just migrants from pre-partition Pakistan?) and language, Pakistani people will all just be classified as the same. In the end I think the vast majority of NYC people do consider them all Asian.

It all comes down to physical features attributed to different groups of people, South Asian people have a lot of diversity and someone in Pakistan can range from looking like your run of the mill white person to positively black and in the north bordering china you'll even find more "Asian"- looking people, so there's no cookie cutter way of classifying race by nationality, in the end it's political and physical continental boundaries.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2albiQalbi View Post
I think it also depends on where in you're asking (especially in America) in NYC for example, you'll be lumped with Indians, Bengali, Sri Lankan, and Nepali people, who then are broadly categorized as Asian. Elsewhere, you will either be categorized as middle eastern or in a class of your own.

I can't speak for beyond where I live (NYC), but here people are definitely more conscious of South Asian diversity and I think they would see fit to equate Pakistani-Americans with Punjabi people and other North Indians. And Bengali people and South Indian people fall into their own group. I only say this because of the stereotypes that exist for these groups as well, however untrue they may be.

For example, punjabi people I think are less regarded in the academic light than South Indians and Bengalis. And because of similar physical features (I may be wrong but aren't a lot of punjabi Indian people just migrants from pre-partition Pakistan?) and language, Pakistani people will all just be classified as the same. In the end I think the vast majority of NYC people do consider them all Asian.

It all comes down to physical features attributed to different groups of people, South Asian people have a lot of diversity and someone in Pakistan can range from looking like your run of the mill white person to positively black and in the north bordering china you'll even find more "Asian"- looking people, so there's no cookie cutter way of classifying race by nationality, in the end it's political and physical continental boundaries.
Great post. I went to a small restaurant in the Seattle area called "Usmania Tikka Kabob Restaurant". The food was excellent. I asked the elderly chef/owner, who wore a Sikh turban, if he was from India or Pakistan. He told me that when he left there in the 1940's, it was all India, and he didn't really answer my question. That made me smile. There's still very much a brotherhood between Pakistan and India, despite the fighting.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 07-06-2014 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 AM

13 posts, read 16,906 times
I think the Pakistan is the middle east

Old 07-07-2014, 12:25 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybabydoll View Post
I think the Pakistan is the middle east
You can think what you want and it doesn't change facts.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
You can think what you want and it doesn't change facts.
What exactly comprises the Middle East can vary depending on what borders are use. I've seen definitions that go as far east as Bangladesh and as far west as Mauritania(West Africa).

Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I'm Pakistani descent, and I'm asking this question out of curiosity, I know that Pakistan is geographically entirely in Asia, but a lot of times when I talk to "Asian people"(Chinese,Korean types) and I tell them i'm Asian too, they tell me that Pakis aren't really Asian.

When I talk to American people, they usually think Pakistan's in the middle east probably because we're mostly Muslim and because of the war on terror, we were put into the "Greater Middle East", but I don't really see myself as Middle eastern, but then Orientals don't see us as Asian either(the ones I know), so I don't know what exactly are we, I mean when I fill out a US census form I tick "Asian" but I'm not considered Asian by "Asians" in general, so even though I'm not eligible for Affirmative Action, I don't get the positive stereotypes that other Asians get, and I usually get the negative stereotypes middle eastern people get.

So do East Asians consider us Asian, or do you see us as belonging to another make-belief region?
I am Asian American of Taiwanese and Chinese ancestry and I don't consider Pakistanis to be Asians. Nor do I consider anyone in the Middle East, Siberia, or former Soviet Central Asia to be "Asian". For me Asian means East Asian descent like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

If you use the technical geographic definition of Asia, then you would have to include the people of Israel and Siberian Russia to be Asian as well. So would you consider your "Zionist friends" in Tel Aviv to be Asians? I'm not sure if I consider people from India to be Asian. Also in the US when you check the box for racial self identification, Middle Easterners and Arabs are technically considered "white" even though they don't consider themselves white and most white Americans don't consider them white either. I would group Pakistanis along with Arabs and Iranians.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am Asian American of Taiwanese and Chinese ancestry and I don't consider Pakistanis to be Asians. Nor do I consider anyone in the Middle East, Siberia, or former Soviet Central Asia to be "Asian". For me Asian means East Asian descent like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

If you use the technical geographic definition of Asia, then you would have to include the people of Israel and Siberian Russia to be Asian as well. So would you consider your "Zionist friends" in Tel Aviv to be Asians? I'm not sure if I consider people from India to be Asian. Also in the US when you check the box for racial self identification, Middle Easterners and Arabs are technically considered "white" even though they don't consider themselves white and most white Americans don't consider them white either. I would group Pakistanis along with Arabs and Iranians.
That is quite unfair. Asia is not only for chinky eyed people. That is why, sometimes, I don't want to consider myself Asian because there are people who think that Asians are only Chinese, Koreans and Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or