U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Excluding, of course, countries like Indonesia and the Philippines who use the Roman alphabet.

I wonder if most Asians can recognise all the letters of the roman alphabet (I assume so) and also basic words like 'yes', 'no', 'go', 'stop.' I'm assuming most that know some English can read it. Are there a lot of people in say China or India for whom Latin characters/letters/words are totally unreadable?

Would you say almost everyone in Asia now knows English words like 'hello', 'goodbye', 'yes', 'no', man, stop, come, go, woman.etc?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Excluding, of course, countries like Indonesia and the Philippines who use the Roman alphabet.

I wonder if most Asians can recognise all the letters of the roman alphabet (I assume so) and also basic words like 'yes', 'no', 'go', 'stop.' I'm assuming most that know some English can read it. Are there a lot of people in say China or India for whom Latin characters/letters/words are totally unreadable?

Would you say almost everyone in Asia now knows English words like 'hello', 'goodbye', 'yes', 'no', man, stop, come, go, woman.etc?
Those "letters" are of course taught in school. Even if they did not learn English, they should have learned them in algebra. My mother learned Russian when she was young but she can pronounce all "English letters", because she took math, physics and chemistry in school.

She cannot understand much beyond "yes" and "no" though.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:23 AM

816 posts, read 1,554,487 times
Yes. While verbal English tends to be lacking in Asia, most Asian countries are fairly passable at basic written English since it's a required subject in school for most children, as well as a requirement to get into top universities.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:04 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:

In my experience, yes.

Actually, anyone who goes to college, pretty much always has some, if not many, textbooks in English. Plus, English is just everywhere throughout Asia.

In my general experience, reading English is much easier for most Asians than listening to English.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 AM

376 posts, read 742,189 times
I am glad we can write Indonesian language using the "Latin letters/Roman Alphabet" in the modern era that began in use since Indonesia was colonized. but if you look at the writings of ancient letters of Javanese and Sundanese scrip ,before the Latin alphabet used is very difficult to imagine if now we will use the letters " scrip " to writing it again , Javanese Script
Sundanese Script very different from Javanese Script although derived from "Java"
Sundanese Script

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
In China, the younger generation can but the older generation cannot.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 PM

15 posts, read 26,547 times
The same with Russia, Japan, South Korea, Mongolia, HK, Macau, Vietnam...
middle to older generation are quite bad in english. Younger people learnt basic english.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,274,246 times
Asia has 49 countries including Russia, India, Turkey, Mongolia, and so much more. It's a huge area to try to generalize about.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:34 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:

I don't get what you're trying to ask. Can they recognize letters in English or letters used to transliterate their native language to input characters on a computer (like China's pinyin or Japan's roumaji)?

You forgot Vietnam, they use the Roman alphabet, too. They just have accent marks on the bottom, sides, and accent marks on top of accent marks.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
I would think that anyone below 50 years old who had finished high school should be able to know basic English almost everywhere in Asia. Ironically, in my travels, I had been asked by a Vietnamese taxi driver to read aloud the Vietnamese address that I handed him. Good thing they use the Latin alphabet. He understood my pronunciation but I would say there may be some who are illiterate among older Asians and you might encounter them in less developed countries. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in India cannot read the English address in spite of India having many English speakers (although haven't taken a taxi at all in India).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or