U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:47 PM

5,099 posts, read 8,085,437 times

Advertisements

Here's a better video of several malls in BKK, including excellent walkthroughs at Central World (the 6th largest mall in the world) and Siam Paragon.

A Walk in the Big Malls of Bangkok : MBK, Siam Center, Central World, Fashion, Pantip - YouTube

Old 12-26-2013, 11:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,023,205 times
There are some nice outdoor malls in Manila. Bonifacio High Street...

And Greenbelt is made up of 5 different buildings, so there are a lot of outdoor areas, and you access many stores and restaurants from the outside. Many of the restaurants have indoor and outdoor seating. Very nice-looking mall

And I haven't been to Eastwood Mall, but it's also outdoor/indoor

Last edited by Smtchll; 12-27-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,298,006 times
^ Very nice, some parts of the Phils look so developed, it's a pity most people there are poor and can't afford to shop in such places.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,023,205 times
^ Agreed. Those malls cater to 1% of the population and foreigners who live in and visit the Philippines

Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,815,352 times
Been to Central World in Bangkok. Absolutely unreal. The US has nothing comparable to mega malls in Asia. The whole shopping district area in Bangkok is absolutely enormous. There are several malls all contained in one area, so although the malls individually may not be the biggest, the entire shopping district is absolutely massive. There are many cool fashion botiques outside of the mall with smaller, local designers that sell a lot of good looking clothing.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 PM

5,099 posts, read 8,085,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Been to Central World in Bangkok. Absolutely unreal. The US has nothing comparable to mega malls in Asia. The whole shopping district area in Bangkok is absolutely enormous. There are several malls all contained in one area, so although the malls individually may not be the biggest, the entire shopping district is absolutely massive. There are many cool fashion botiques outside of the mall with smaller, local designers that sell a lot of good looking clothing.
You're right. There are a lot of really large malls in BKK. I've been to a couple around Rangsit. I've been to the Future Park Mall several times. A number of years ago, there were very few shops anywhere around BKK that sold clothes that'd fit me. They were usually too short or just barely fit. My son-in-law showed me a small shop on one of the upper floors, I think one floor down from the food court/gaming area/cinemas, that buys clothes from a distributor in the US. My understanding is that they come from stores that are going out of business. The jeans and shirts are a perfect fit. I also understand that there are a lot more shops around BKK now that carry clothing more suitable in sizes for westerners. One cool feature at Future Park, in the main building, is a fountain inside on the ground floor that shoots a jet of water up above the level of the top 6th floor. Not a record breaker, but still impressive. There's a good number of great dining spots in addition to the Food Court (the kind where you buy coupons).

I knew Central World when it was called the World Trade Center or Plaza or something like that. Not far is MBK (Maboonkrong) Mall and Siam Square. MBK used to be an older, sort of ratty kind of building. As I recall, there was a big fire that broke out in it. It's since been rebuilt and redesigned with a sleek modern architectural style and a lot more space. I have no idea how they hang displays, etc., at such heights. I sure wouldn't want to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia