U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:56 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times

Advertisements

This is the list of biggest malls in the world:

List of largest shopping malls in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As anyone who's travelled a lot knows, Asia is the 'king' when it comes to shopping malls, especially China, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore. It boasts the biggest, some of which are cities under one roof, complete with hotels, theme parks.etc.

I recently went to 1 Utama in KL (well greater KL, a city called Petaling Jaya to be exact), a place most tourists would not visit (we were staying with my dad's friend who took us there), which got me wondering how many of these megamalls you've been to.

On this list, in order of size, the ones I've been to:

1. Golden Resources Mall, Beijing, China

2. 1 Utama, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

3. Sunway Pyramid, Bandar Sunway, Malaysia

4. The Dubai Mall, Dubai, UAE

5. Berjaya Times Square, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

6. Chadstone Shopping Centre, Melbourne, Australia (not in Asia but i'll include Australia since it's in the region)

In addition, list your experiences visiting malls in Asia in general. Do you like them, hate them? Visiting Singapore and Malaysia a lot they're always a welcome respite from the heat, and still a great place to eat. In Singapore I've of course been to tons - all the main ones on Orchard Road like Ngee Ann City, Ion, as well as Suntec City, Funan, Vivo, Marina Square, the near Marina Sands Galleria, as well as most of the big regional ones like Clementi, Jurong.

In KL aside from the ones mentioned I've been to the Mines, a mall at Subang (when I was a kid), and a lot of the ones in the city centre. Also one in Genting Highlands, Ipoh and George Town Penang.

I haven't been to any mall in Bangkok, but I went to Junk Ceylon in Patong. In Vietnam I went to one in Hanoi and HCM, they were pretty small.

In China the Golden Resources, the biggest mall in the world at the time, as well as one in Beijing with like two big cylindrical towers. I went to a couple in Hong Kong.

I found the malls in Taiwan kinda disappointing, actually. They were strangely laid out and mostly for fashion. More of the action seems to be on the street.

I even went to one in Sri Lanka, not very big.

Of course i've been to tons in Australia...outside Asia I've been to malls in the US, UK, Italy, NZ.

I'm not a huge mall rat and I don't really enjoy shopping all that much, but I find malls and shopping centres kind of interesting.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Well Philippines has a lot of huge malls but outside Philippines. I've been to some malls in Bahrain and probably check some malls in Perth, Australia next month. I sometimes compared the malls in Bahrain to Philippines and I would say there's a lot of huge malls in the Philippines than in Bahrain. They only have few malls here but it still nice though.

Bahrain City Centre and Bahrain Seef Mall is 2 big malls in Bahrain.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Well Philippines has a lot of huge malls but outside Philippines. I've been to some malls in Bahrain and probably check some malls in Perth, Australia next month. I sometimes compared the malls in Bahrain to Philippines and I would say there's a lot of huge malls in the Philippines than in Bahrain. They only have few malls here but it still nice though.

Bahrain City Centre and Bahrain Seef Mall is 2 big malls in Bahrain.
Oh you're coming to Perth?? I'll be in Perth until early Feb. Let me know if you wanna meet up, I can show you around.

Yes, the Philippines has big ones like EDSA Square and Mall of Asia.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 PM

376 posts, read 742,812 times
@ The Postman..you forgot Mall " Central Park Jakarta "? I do not think this mall is big or small? so it is not in the list .. I know the Mall "central park Jakarta" has many excellence and is often appreciation
awarded International.even standing next to this mall some apertemen Magnificent
I like the whole design of the building with many beautiful parks maybe you can see in mr geogle ^_^ .

Old 12-25-2013, 01:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
I've been to these, all in the Philippines

2nd largest- SM City North EDSA- It's just a big mess. They just keep building on to it to make it bigger, but it doesn't even look nice. I spent more time across the street in Trinoma Mall (#31 on the list) It's much nicer and it's connected by a pedestrian bridge.

#10- SM Megamall- At the time, it was smaller than SM Mall of Asia, but I like it better because it's 5 stories which makes it more compact, even though it's huge

#11- SM Mall of Asia- I don't like that it's only 2 stories. It's spread out over an unnecessarily large area. They should have made it at least 3 stories. I haven't been there with the new ferris wheel and other outdoor stuff, but I think it's an improvement to the Manila Bay waterfront.

#20- Greenbelt- I think this is one of the nicest malls in Manila. Very upscale and the outdoor areas are well-landscaped. It's connected by pedestriarian bridge to another big mall, Glorietta

Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
@ The Postman..you forgot Mall " Central Park Jakarta "? I do not think this mall is big or small? so it is not in the list .. I know the Mall "central park Jakarta" has many excellence and is often appreciation
awarded International.even standing next to this mall some apertemen Magnificent
I like the whole design of the building with many beautiful parks maybe you can see in mr geogle ^_^ .
I didn't decide the list, these are the 20 biggest malls in the world. I haven't been to Jakarta.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh you're coming to Perth?? I'll be in Perth until early Feb. Let me know if you wanna meet up, I can show you around.

Yes, the Philippines has big ones like EDSA Square and Mall of Asia.
Yes, I'll be in Perth for 2 Months to visit my sister and her family there. Check the place as well.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:21 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,066,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
This is the list of biggest malls in the world:

List of largest shopping malls in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[snip]

I haven't been to any mall in Bangkok,
Central World Mall, Bangkok
Central World Mall in Bangkok ranks the #6 spot in the list of the world's largest malls. Pricewise, it's aimed more for middle class shoppers. I've never actually been to it though.
CentralWorld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2013 HD Outside Central World Plaza Shopping Mall Bangkok Thailand - YouTube

Central World mall in Bangkok - YouTube

Siam Paragon Mall, Bangkok
The Siam Paragon Mall ranks #24 in the list. It tends to be a bit more upscale, spendy and trendy. I've never been to this mall either, but it looks really big and very impressive.
Siam Paragon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THAI 2013 - The big Siam Paragon Bangkok Mall - YouTube

Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,380,853 times
Been to several in Singapore. What I find annoying there is that there is no seating in the malls themselves to just sit for a few minutes and rest or people watch. We were with an elderly relative once who has difficulty walking for long periods of time. We had to take her to a restaurant and buy something so she could just sit for awhile.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Yes, I'll be in Perth for 2 Months to visit my sister and her family there. Check the place as well.
Cool, first time here? Which area does your sister live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia