Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:30 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,431 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting topic in my opinion, since China and India are home of about roughly half the world's population and the world's oldest living countries. They are some of the greatest civilizations in the world and lots of things have came from these places.

I have wondered like who are smarter, the Indians or the Chinese. The Indians are known to be Doctors or Engineers here in the US (maybe it's different elsewhere like Canada or Hong Kong) and so are the Chinese. Many of them are very smart and usually at the top of their classes.

I am thinking the Chinese are probably smarter better at stuff like manufacturing and building, while the Indians have higher social intelligence....If that makes sense. I say this since most of the manufactured goods have been made in China and are still being made, while a lot of call centers and software engineers are in India. I have seen many Indians (though not all) seem to be talkative and outgoing. Their use of language and expression seems far more elaborate, and complex. Meanwhile the Chinese are more straightforward and to the point. Chinese would talk more simplistic like "Why you no take shower?", "You go or not go?", etc....Meanwhile, Indians beat around the bush and express more with their hands and mouths. I think maybe this is why India exports talk, while China exports manufactured goods....If that makes sense.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Also, before any of you guys attack me of generalizing or being racist or nationalist. I think this is how it is since this is how Mandarin and Hindi are built. I don't know much about Hindi, but I've seen many Indians express themselves kind of in a more elaborate manner being more rich in adjectives, prefixes, suffixes, tenses, etc. Also adding more "in a way....", "afterwards", "Therefore," "Otherwise.....in a way that....". With Chinese, it's more simplistic and to the point and has fewer adjectives.

Not saying either is better or worse.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,100,404 times
You clearly do not have any familiarity with the Chinese language, or Chinese philosophies and social conventions. What an ignorant post. Just stunning.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You clearly do not have any familiarity with the Chinese language, or Chinese philosophies and social conventions. What an ignorant post. Just stunning.
Are you SERIOUS??? I'm actually studying Chinese. It is more simplistic and straightforward than English and my Native language Spanish. You are the ignorant and judgemental person and you are SO OBLIVIOUS. Spanish and English grammar is much harder and complex than Chinese.

In Chinese, there is no distinction between masculine and feminine, no distinction between past, present or future, or singular and plural. This is one of the things I like about the language. I want to see you try and differentiate between preiterate tense and present indicative tense, or past tense. Next time think or research before you put this asinine comment.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Try studying Classical Chinese. Also, once you get to higher level Chinese, you will encounter all of the complicated Cheng Yus that will drive you mad. Don't be too quick to think Chinese as simple. The grammar is straightforward, but that is because its complexity lies in its word choices, not in its construction.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Try studying Classical Chinese.
You're oblivious to all of what I say and just answer with "Try Classical Chinese". You should look into Spanish grammar too. AAh understood. I didn't try to offend you but, actually this is one of the things I liked about Chinese. BTW, what is Cheng yu?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM

"You should look into Spanish grammar too."

Why should I? Your original question was in comparing Chinese and Indian "intelligence" which, by the way, is a truly asinine question. What does Spanish have to do with Chinese or Indian intelligence?

Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
I think you're talking more about cultural differences, not intelligence. Humans are all equally intelligent (yet to see any convincing scientific evidence that proves any real differences) - I mean rather, no 'race' or group is smarter than another, the variations are between individuals. So no, neither Indians or Chinese are smarter than the other. Both developed civilisation early (Indus valley and Huang He) but it just means the conditions for agriculture and domestication allowed them to develop early on.

Indians using more body language, as well as the famous 'bobble head' lol is to do with their cultural norms, as well as being more expressive. The Chinese aren't all formal, staid robots, have you seen a lot of Chinese? They can be a very emotional, passionate people, just as Indians can be very disciplined and thoughtful. Yeah a lot of their language is because of Mandarin itself.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM

The Chinese are hardly staid and robotic indeed. A simple stroll through a Chinese market will prove that impression very very wrong. In fact, China as a nation would do well if more Chinese were staid and robotic! The whole nation is too unruly as it is!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think you're talking more about cultural differences, not intelligence. Humans are all equally intelligent (yet to see any convincing scientific evidence that proves any real differences) - I mean rather, no 'race' or group is smarter than another, the variations are between individuals. So no, neither Indians or Chinese are smarter than the other. Both developed civilisation early (Indus valley and Huang He) but it just means the conditions for agriculture and domestication allowed them to develop early on.

Indians using more body language, as well as the famous 'bobble head' lol is to do with their cultural norms, as well as being more expressive. The Chinese aren't all formal, staid robots, have you seen a lot of Chinese? They can be a very emotional, passionate people, just as Indians can be very disciplined and thoughtful. Yeah a lot of their language is because of Mandarin itself.
Yes of course. I noticed that too. I didn't say anything about them be more robotic or staid. I just said about their language being more to the point. I don't think all Chinese are unemotional and unpassionate, just like not all Chinese are skinny haha. China doesn't have near the obesity rate of the USA or Mexico but I've more than a few chubby chinese people hehe. Yeah, I think some Chinese are emotional and passionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia