U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 PM

7 posts, read 15,749 times

Advertisements

Standard Mandarin is the one everyone hear on TV and radios.
Singaporean standard mandarin is very similiar to standard mandarin of China.
Singapore adopted their mandarin education from China.
Simplified Chinese is used in Singapore, as in China

Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well what is 'standard'? Is there an officially defined standard pronunciation guide? Beijing has it's own colloquial dialect. My mother, who learned Mandarin in Singapore, said she often had trouble understood it. It's very rhotic, I'd compare it a bit to Cockney vs RP or something.
Unlike English, ther IS a standard Mandarin, which is based on northern Chinese dialets but they are still different in many aspects. And yes, there is a defined standard pronunciation guild. If you speak differently, you are speaking incorrect Mandarin (not the case for English).

Standard Mandarin is what you hear on China Central Television - all anchor men/women have to pass very rigid exams to get their job. If you are have a Beijing accent, you are not qualified.

On wikipedia, it says Mandarin Chinese is spoken by Chinese in northern and southwest China. This is not accurate. Northern Chinese, including Beijing natives, don't grow up speaking the Mandarin we know as the official language. They learn it in the school (more and more kids speak it as their only language nowadays because of more and more mariages between people with different dialects).

Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,639,162 times
I'd say the biggest differences are language, business, and physical appearance. Also, from my experiences the farther south you go the more "religious" the people are, whether Buddhist, or some variant of Christianity. Maybe Southern China is more friendly as well. Major cities are going to have a more Western influence especially with the younger generations and the wealthy. Shanghai and areas around Hong Kong will be the most Western, but still very Chinese culturally. Nearly all Chinese from my experience have a similar culture, regardless of what I mentioned before. Family is the most important thing in life and how others view you is incredibly important. Also, life revolves around food. My wife is from Henan province, but mostly grew up in Shanghai and my previous employer was from Fuzhou. I've never lived in China, but spent about 6 months there on 2 occasions. I visited Beijing, Henan, Shanghai, and Hainan.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,152,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
True, province is more important, but China has a distinct north/south split. There's even 'Beijing' (northern capital) and 'Nanjing' (southern capital). At one time the Chinese considered those south of the Yangtze barbarians.
Nanjing is in central China though. Why would that be the capital of the southern half of China?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,639,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Nanjing is in central China though. Why would that be the capital of the southern half of China?
China is split by the Yangtze into Northern and Southern China. Hence, Nanjing and Shanghai are Southern China. We look at a map and say, oh that's central China, but that's not how the Chinese view it. My wife once exclaimed there is no central China, just the north and south.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
China is split by the Yangtze into Northern and Southern China. Hence, Nanjing and Shanghai are Southern China. We look at a map and say, oh that's central China, but that's not how the Chinese view it. My wife once exclaimed there is no central China, just the north and south.
No, part of Nanjing is no the south and part on the north of Yangtze River. Also North South is not divided by this river, but Huai RiverQin Mountains line.

Northern and southern China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There IS central China, but that would refer to much western regions, such as Wuhan- which would be the centre of Central China.

Northern - Beijing as diminant city
East - Shanghai
Southern - Guangzhou/Hong Kong
Central - Wuhan
West - Chengdu/Chongqing
There is also southwest and northeast.

West of Chengdu, which is geographically the west-east mid point of the country, there is hardly any important cities.

Wuhan although considered central China, is only 850km west of Shanghai, the eastern edge. The west edge of the country would be 5 times the distance (over 4000km to the border).

China's population distribution is extremely uneven because western regions are vast and underpopulated. For example, Xinjiang has 16% of China's land but with a total population smaller than Shanghai. Tibet has 12% of land with a population of 3M, comparable to a smal city by Chinese standard. Qinhai, with 7% of total land area, has fewer than 6M, hardly a midsize city in China. These three provinces have 35% of the land, yet have 30M people in total, compared with about 24M in Shanghai alone.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:59 PM

10,423 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
So Yanshuijing, Yuanmou County, Chuxiong, Yunnan (746 km South of Chengdu) is Northern?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
So Yanshuijing, Yuanmou County, Chuxiong, Yunnan (746 km South of Chengdu) is Northern?
He does have a point that China is more about South/North than about east-west, because the majority people live in the eastern half of the country, so what is west and east is not that important.

It is like in Canada it is always about east and west, and not so much about south and north as we know almost all Canadians live below the southern most 10% of its land.

Although the south-north division is Qing Mountain / Huai River. Not Yangtze River.

The main NS difference? Wheat vs rice culture.
File:China agricultural 1986.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

10,423 posts, read 12,416,860 times

Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 PM

^ the map doesn't seem to show a north/south divide.

It is also misleading in the sense that nobody in China will actually think Sichuan has much in common with Tibet.

It is more wrong to put Henan together with Guangdong and Guangxi.

Honestly I don't know what this map is supposed to show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or