Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Nanjing is mostly south of the river. Only a small part of it is in the north.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Chinese south-north is defined by Qin mountain- Huai River, not Yangtze River.
You're right, for some reason it being north of Shanghai I pictured it north of the Chiang Jiang.

Well yeah, the Yangtze/Chiang Jiang is a rough boundary.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not talking about genetics/appearance, here...

Any other differences?
Honestly, some of these stereotypes of what a Northerner and Southerner in China is lots of BS. China is much more homogenous than the West, so you won't find as much variation. I've met plenty of hospital Southern Chinese and a-hole Northerners so nothing you read here is true, that aspect comes down to the individual you meet. Southern Chinese are considered lower class because they in terms of demographics, they are mostly working class. The Northerners are those who dictate the industry mostly, and future of Chinese politics, govt. They can be dickwads tho. Beyond that, the avg Chinese regardless of geography is quite similar in mentality.

When you start talking about a communist nation, the variation vs. regions in say Italy or USA is alot less.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Honestly, some of these stereotypes of what a Northerner and Southerner in China is lots of BS. China is much more homogenous than the West, so you won't find as much variation. I've met plenty of hospital Southern Chinese and a-hole Northerners so nothing you read here is true, that aspect comes down to the individual you meet. Southern Chinese are considered lower class because they in terms of demographics, they are mostly working class. The Northerners are those who dictate the industry mostly, and future of Chinese politics, govt. They can be dickwads tho. Beyond that, the avg Chinese regardless of geography is quite similar in mentality.

When you start talking about a communist nation, the variation vs. regions in say Italy or USA is alot less.
How come "communism" has anything to do with regional variation?? Americans are so obsessed with the communist thing.

Your knowledge about China is very inaccurate. It's weird you think China is not even as diverse as Italy?!

Do you know EVERY city of China has its own dialect/accent? Can you say the same to the US? Do you know people from Shanghai, Hong Kong and Chongqing cannot understand each other if they speak their own dialect?
Do you know people in rural areas of north China usually do not eat rice? Do you know people in Sichuan love spicy food but people in eastern China do not?
Do you know there are 25 million Muslims in China? Do you know over 100 non-Chinese languages are spoken in China? Italy?? Give me a break.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,470,177 times
martials arts

Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post

I'm not Chinese, and obviously you aren't either. But if you were Chinese, you'd see a great variation of differences.

You can't really say 'they are all the same'.

I mean, Asians might say ''all white people are the same," and perhaps from a Chinese-perspective, they might very well be. But, if you are white, than you see great differences between Sweden and Italy.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:05 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Do you know EVERY city of China has its own dialect/accent? Can you say the same to the US?
A lot of those dialects are very similar, and the main reason people have different dialects is because people didn't move much around in the past, while in the US they did. And the US got regional accents too.

But why just the US, he said west right, not the US.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
A lot of those dialects are very similar, and the main reason people have different dialects is because people didn't move much around in the past, while in the US they did. And the US got regional accents too.

But why just the US, he said west right, not the US.
(1) He mentioned the US and Italy. Read carefully.
(2) Diversity is diversity, no matter what the reason is.
(3) You can tell those from Beijing and Tianjin apart within five seconds, if they speak their own dialect. People from Nanjing and Shanghai do not understand each other well. You cannot do that in America except for some very rare cases.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
(1) He mentioned the US and Italy. Read carefully.
(2) Diversity is diversity, no matter what the reason is.
(3) You can tell those from Beijing and Tianjin apart within five seconds, if they speak their own dialect. People from Nanjing and Shanghai do not understand each other well. You cannot do that in America except for some very rare cases.
And you can also tell the accent of Texas and California apart within 5 seconds as well.

China may have some variation, but it is not really a surprise considering the size of China. If you joined US, and Europe into one country it would have a lot of variation.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
And you can also tell the accent of Texas and California apart within 5 seconds as well.

China may have some variation, but it is not really a surprise considering the size of China. If you joined US, and Europe into one country it would have a lot of variation.
Do you know the distance between Beijing and Tianjin? It is less than 100 miles! Can you tell Houston and Austin apart within 5 seconds?

China is light years more diverse than the US in terms of language (unless you count those spoken at home by immigrants).
Europe basically only have two language families: Indo-European and Uralic.
China has (NOT including immigrants): Sino-Tibetan, Altaic, Austro-Asiatic, Indo-European, Tai-Kadai, Austronesian, Hmong-Mien....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag...oken_languages

People from a western country think China is not diverse?? LMAO

Last edited by Bettafish; 08-25-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Do you know the distance between Beijing and Tianjin? It is less than 100 miles! Can you tell Houston and Austin apart within 5 seconds?

Europe basically only have two language families: Indo-European and Uralic.
I am well aware of the distance, considering I have been to Tianjin several times. I am also aware that the language spoken is very similar, or else I would not be able to understand both. The main difference is that Tianjin people switch some words to an "er" sound, such as chuan becomes chuar.

However, in London I understand everything people say. In Paris I don't understand anything. And if I understood everything they say in Paris, I still wouldn't be able to understand people in Madrid, or Berlin

Quote:
China has (NOT including immigrants): Sino-Tibetan, Altaic, Austro-Asiatic, Indo-European, Tai-Kadai, Austronesian, Hmong-Mien....
Languages of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People from a western country think China is not diverse?? LMAO
There are 230 languages spoken in Europe and the biggest language is only spoken by about 20% of the population. In China mandarin is the native language and is native language of 70% of the population.

Also, you mentioned there are 25 million Muslims in China. But despite the lower population there are more Muslims in Europe and you will find them in every single country, not just in a few provinces like in China.

China has its diversity of course, but don't overdo yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia