U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Not talking about genetics/appearance, here...

The main ones I can think of is diet: wheat and millet is the staple of the north (north of Jiangsu), with bread (steamed buns, flatbread), dumplings, noodles.etc predominating. In the South, while those things are consumed rice tends to be the main staple in most meals. Northerners do also tend to consume rice but not as much.

Also it's stereotyped that Southerners, especially Cantonese, tend to eat weird things like dogs, snakes, rats, weird sea creatures, insects.etc, but what about the food market in Beijing selling all those weird things? Is that just an anomaly?

Of course food varies a lot by region. Northern food is seen as rather bland, with a lot of pickled things, Cantonese with it's seafood, fresh ingredients and complex styles, spicy Sichuan, and the more Central Asian western influence as far east as Xian.

The language, of course. The Southeast is linguistically diverse with the Min and Yue, and Wu in Shanghai languages, while Mandarin solely dominates in most of the North.

I'd say Southerners, at least the urban ones, are more mercantile, entrepreneural, while those in the North, being closer to Beijing, emphasis education and working in the bureaucracy more.

What about housing styles? I suppose modern housing is generic throughout, but are there traditional differences in housing styles from north to south? The south has some distinctive housing types like the round Hakka tulous in Fujian province. Would you say more houses in the north are built of stone too?

Are there differences in the way they celebrate big festivities like the Spring Festival or Full Moon festival?

Are there differences in personality/psyche? Are northerners are bit more gruff? Which tends to be friendlier? Warmer? Extroverted?

Any other differences?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 AM

448 posts, read 499,025 times
Southerners are "small-minded" and "calcalating" on monetary matters. Which maybe true as Southerners are more keen in doing business, investment and saving. A Chinese woman may like a Northern man more as they are more "generous". Northern men, rich or not, may treat ladies, friends or girlfriends or wives, more expensive meals, pay for more expensive items, more on tips for service. Money is spent for both men and women for having "big face".
A wife may like a Southern man more, for the sake of the family, as he spent less on other people, himself and wive, good at making money and saving.

It is important in the North to dress,eat and live nicely "in front of other people", even not being rich. Bargaining hardly for a few yuans is probably frown upon in the north. Spending money to please somebody rather than saving maybe more common.

A Northern lady often says Northerners are more rich than Southerners, but which I checked the GDP per capita of her province & some other, they are below China's average. There are some rivalry between them. Some northerners do look down on southerners, even though coastal southern china is relatively developed. Some reasons are being closer to Beijing the capital, southerners were barbarians and not pure Han, south china is not "real China", northerners are taller, have lighter skin etc.

Last edited by lokeung); 12-28-2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times
seems like a type of hierarchy? every ethnic group has to feel they are superior to another even in the same country

kind of like East Coast vs the West Coast in the USA

every country does it, in India they have the caste system

people love to feel they are above the others even if it's only regional

Old 12-28-2013, 02:27 PM

490 posts, read 1,498,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
seems like a type of hierarchy? every ethnic group has to feel they are superior to another even in the same country

kind of like East Coast vs the West Coast in the USA

every country does it, in India they have the caste system

people love to feel they are above the others even if it's only regional
Yep, in every country there is a rivalry. Some are fun, and some not so much since it goes way far into a physical fight or something. In Spain, There's rivalry between the people from Madrid vs the people from Barcelona. In Mexico there's rivalry between Northern Mexico and Mexico City, in Japan it's between Tokyo and Osaka, in Korea it's Seoul and Busan I think. I think in England, it's between London and Liverpool.

I want to also see the comparisons and contrasts between North and South China. I don't know about cultural differences but I've seen that Northern Chinese are really tall and generally lighter skin, thinner nose while Southern Chinese people to me look more similar to southeast asians because they tend to be shorter, darker skin and have the small wide nose.

Although, I met a girl from Guangdong who was tall and skinny, and one from Shandong and Harbin who were short.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Yep, in every country there is a rivalry. Some are fun, and some not so much since it goes way far into a physical fight or something. In Spain, There's rivalry between the people from Madrid vs the people from Barcelona. In Mexico there's rivalry between Northern Mexico and Mexico City, in Japan it's between Tokyo and Osaka, in Korea it's Seoul and Busan I think. I think in England, it's between London and Liverpool.

I want to also see the comparisons and contrasts between North and South China. I don't know about cultural differences but I've seen that Northern Chinese are really tall and generally lighter skin, thinner nose while Southern Chinese people to me look more similar to southeast asians because they tend to be shorter, darker skin and have the small wide nose.

Although, I met a girl from Guangdong who was tall and skinny, and one from Shandong and Harbin who were short.
Yes some southerners can look northern and vice versa, internal migration these days plays a role, so you can never be sure where someone's ancestors are from unless you ask him or her.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:08 PM

448 posts, read 499,025 times
Both Northerners and Southerns claim they are rich. In fact, there are both rich and poor provinces in both Northern and Southern China.

Most Chinese emperors were originated from Northern China. Most tv stars from Northern China. Most overseas Chinese came from Southern China. Some people say Northern men are more masculine from the Chinese point of view.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Both Northerners and Southerns claim they are rich. In fact, there are both rich and poor provinces in both Northern and Southern China.

Most Chinese emperors were originated from Northern China. Most tv stars from Northern China. Most overseas Chinese came from Southern China. Some people say Northern men are more masculine from the Chinese point of view.
For years though the Hong Kong film industry dominated what people thought of as 'Chinese' film so most of the stars were from Hong Kong. Well yes, Beijing was the capital, but Nanjing was for a time too. Some of China's greatest modern leaders/personages (whether you like them or not) like Sun-Yat Sen, Chiang Kai-Shek and Mao Zedong were from the South as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 PM

816 posts, read 1,554,487 times
Northern and Southern are much more nebulously defined in China compared to America. I've never heard a Chinese person identify himself as a 'Southerner' in the same way someone from Alabama would. They always identify based on the specific city or province they're from or their native dialect. It seems more like north and south is a relative geographic term than having any strict line of demarcation. Shanghai would be considered northern by someone from Guangzhou and southern by someone from Beijing.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Northern and Southern are much more nebulously defined in China compared to America. I've never heard a Chinese person identify himself as a 'Southerner' in the same way someone from Alabama would. They always identify based on the specific city or province they're from or their native dialect. It seems more like north and south is a relative geographic term than having any strict line of demarcation. Shanghai would be considered northern by someone from Guangzhou and southern by someone from Beijing.
True, province is more important, but China has a distinct north/south split. There's even 'Beijing' (northern capital) and 'Nanjing' (southern capital). At one time the Chinese considered those south of the Yangtze barbarians.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,090,950 times
IMO, coastal vs inland is more useful to make social/political distinctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or