U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

495 posts, read 572,831 times

Advertisements

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan | Cracked.com

Funny article, I was aware of #2 but the others where a surprise to me. I love the this quote " taking time off from work is considered light treason in Japan". Could not stop laughing at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Hospitals closed on weekends? That's ridiculous.

Yeah I don't get what they have against credit cards, seriously.

Also I can actually understand holding onto old tech. I think the Super Famicon (Super Nintendo) was still sold in stores as late as 2002 or something there.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Pubic hospitals are closed outside normal business hours, but private ones can be open 24/7, and there's also emergency services 24/7, so it's not like lopping off a digit at the family bbq is going to force you to lose that finger in that Pikachu towel

The thing about credit cards is true for about half the places still. More and more businesses are coming to the realization that with 10 million tourists in the country this year and growing, they HAVE to accept credit cards lest they lose business because foreigners don't carry cash because carrying cash makes you a TARGET in other countries. Japan is pretty much the only country in the world where you can just waltz around even a red light district with hundreds of bucks and not have to worry about getting robbed (well you may get pick pocketed by an old man who can't live on his pension anymore but that's exceedingly rare). Try that in a ghetto in the USA. You'd go from flash to trash in 0.1 seconds.

And lest this gets lost on folks, convenience stores are literally that, CONVENIENT. You can pop into a 7-11 there and withdraw cash from an ATM 24/7 almost universally, even in small towns, free of charge assuming your bank participates. And it's just like here: if your bank doesn't participate, expect a fee. No biggie.

I agree with the technology one. In some ways, Japan amazes me, and in others, I just shake my head.

I also agree with the heating one, though I've noticed new construction homes have panel heaters and radiant heat, some have hydronic heat too, and have tankless systems. Not to say we don't have radiant hydronic heating here (the New England states quite often have them) but usually it's some gobbledygook with a boiler and a cold water tank and complicated piping. Not so there. We're catching up to them, but see above comment about some ways they amaze me.

The article's tone is pretty ... how should I put this, "Made for entertainment." There's nuggets of truth behind a facade of ridiculousness.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Yeah, the credit card thing is very annoying.

Technology. An absolutely amazing country with technology in some regards. However, the extremely poor housing designs with no insulation is a huge mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or