U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What are your favorite countries for travel in Southeast Asia? (Pick up to 3)
Brunei 0 0%
Burma 1 3.33%
Cambodia 2 6.67%
East Timor 0 0%
Indonesia 8 26.67%
Laos 2 6.67%
Malaysia 6 20.00%
Phillipines 8 26.67%
Singapore 9 30.00%
Thailand 13 43.33%
Vietnam 7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Malaysia is dominated by Islam, an Abrahamic religion, but has more Chinese and Indian influence with a lot of temples. The Phils still has Chinese temples, though. Indeed isn't the oldest Chinatown in Manila?
Only Chinese people not Filipino Natives unlike Thailand, Indonesian and Malaysian. Non-Chinese or Indian Ancestry is still part of it. But the temples that was built in the Philippines are mostly Chinese or Filipinos of Chinese Ancestry not native Filipinos who praise or visit the Taoist etc. temples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Most Chinese in the Philippines are Catholic. They may still have small temples and shrines though. I know there's a big Taoist Temple in Cebu, but that's the only big one I know of
Yes, that's true. Would you say the Chinese in the Philippines have assimilated/absorbed (including intermarriage) more than any other SEA nation aside from Thailand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, that's true. Would you say the Chinese in the Philippines have assimilated/absorbed (including intermarriage) more than any other SEA nation aside from Thailand?
They keep to themselves for the first couple generations, but by third generation, they often marry Filipinos. But with religion, they easily convert to Catholicism for whatever reason. Maybe because Catholicism in the Philippines is very allowing of syncretism. In other words, some Chinese person can "convert" to Catholicism but still practice elements of Buddhism or Chinese religions. And it helps that those religions also allow syncretism.

Even a lot of native Filipinos have a Buddha in their house btw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They keep to themselves for the first couple generations, but by third generation, they often marry Filipinos. But with religion, they easily convert to Catholicism for whatever reason. Maybe because Catholicism in the Philippines is very allowing of syncretism. In other words, some Chinese person can "convert" to Catholicism but still practice elements of Buddhism or Chinese religions. And it helps that those religions also allow syncretism.

Even a lot of native Filipinos have a Buddha in their house btw
^mostly they used it for display like in the garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Reputation: 1798
Well, at least here in the US, almost every Filipino house I've been in has a Buddha statue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They keep to themselves for the first couple generations, but by third generation, they often marry Filipinos. But with religion, they easily convert to Catholicism for whatever reason. Maybe because Catholicism in the Philippines is very allowing of syncretism. In other words, some Chinese person can "convert" to Catholicism but still practice elements of Buddhism or Chinese religions. And it helps that those religions also allow syncretism.

Even a lot of native Filipinos have a Buddha in their house btw
Yeah same in Sri Lanka, my guide, who was Catholic, would bow to statues of Buddha, Ganesha.etc. I think Protestants are more wary of potential idolatry, although the line between reverence and idolatry can be fine. Maybe a lot of them are part Chinese/want to retain part of that heritage?

Last edited by The Postman; 01-02-2014 at 02:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well, at least here in the US, almost every Filipino house I've been in has a Buddha statue
Maybe cos American Filipinos are wealthier than average and thus more likely to be Chinese/part Chinese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796
Yes the oldest Chinatown is in the Philippines but we do not have Chinese Temples like most Asian countries maybe only in Cebu. Chinese in the Philippines are Catholic and in fact so many are active in the church.Many also enroll their kids in Catholic Schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes the oldest Chinatown is in the Philippines but we do not have Chinese Temples like most Asian countries maybe only in Cebu. Chinese in the Philippines are Catholic and in fact so many are active in the church.Many also enroll their kids in Catholic Schools.
Chinese temple is not actually that famous in Chinatown, The famous one is the Binondo Church in Chinatown built for converted Chinese residing in Chinatown.

https://d26houopdteji.cloudfront.net...F566%2F135.JPG

Quote:
Binondo Church is located in Manila's Chinatown at the western end of Ongpin Street, Binondo.

This church was founded by Dominican priests in 1596 to serve their Chinese converts to Christianity. The original building was destroyed by a bombardment by the British in 1762 during their brief occupation of Manila at that time.

The current granite church was completed on the same site in 1852 and features an octagonal bell tower which suggests the Chinese culture of the parishioners.

Binondo Church was greatly damaged during the Second World War, although fortunately the western facade and the octagonal bell tower survived.

Binondo Church is also known as the Minor Basilica of San Lorenzo Ruiz. It was named after the sacristan, San Lorenzo Ruiz, who was born of a Chinese father and a Filipino mother, trained in this church and afterwards went as a missionary to Japan and was executed there for refusing to renounce his religion.

San Lorenzo Ruiz was to be the Philippines' first saint and he was canonized in 1989. A large statue of the martyr stands in front of the church.

Masses are held in Filipino, in Chinese dialects (Mandarin, Hokkien), and in English.
Binondo Church, Manila

^The other Filipino Chinese Catholic saint from Binondo, Chinatown is Mother Ignacia.

Last edited by pinai; 01-02-2014 at 03:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,624 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, that's true. Would you say the Chinese in the Philippines have assimilated/absorbed (including intermarriage) more than any other SEA nation aside from Thailand?
I believe Indonesia should be the second of course that is if Vietnamese are miscounted since most of them refuses to be classified as Chinese. Most of Indonesian Chinese have abandoned Buddhism favoring Christianity and are unable to communicate in Chinese. Despite Muslim being the dominant religion i would think the Chinese Indonesianized themself through Christianity (accepting the fact that Islam is not the official religion) which at the same time are an act of abandoning Chinese tradition, and also tend to be believed by Indonesian Chinese Christians as an act of blasphemy. It's completely different from the Malaysian/Filipinos Chinese converts who still pray for their ancestor. Indonesians Chinese tend to quickly assimilate local language and sometimes even tradition, i've seen them speaking Javanese or Sundanese with each other (the Indonesian Chinese) rather than speaking in Indonesians or Chinese language.

Last edited by iansmith; 01-02-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top