U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanph View Post
What are the reasons for countries to be richer per capita than those in warmer regions?
It's complex, but I think the fact that temperate zones offered themselves more to extensive settled agriculture was a big reason.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 AM

101 posts, read 231,771 times
I've known too many lazy Chinese in my life, myself included, to say that we're inherently more hardworking than any other non-East Asian races. In fact many of my friends are procrastinators. But I can't say for sure that we're not more hardworking in general. The lack of achievement among Malays in my country for example is often attributed to laziness, whereas the success of the Chinese is often associated with them being very hardworking. But maybe it's just a difference in average IQ?

Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 AM

89 posts, read 142,060 times
Many young people in China, specially for the ones in the first level cities such as Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing who just graduate from university just one or two years or more usually work overtime; sometime they also sacrifice the weekends for work.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
I've known too many lazy Chinese in my life, myself included, to say that we're inherently more hardworking than any other non-East Asian races. In fact many of my friends are procrastinators. But I can't say for sure that we're not more hardworking in general. The lack of achievement among Malays in my country for example is often attributed to laziness, whereas the success of the Chinese is often associated with them being very hardworking. But maybe it's just a difference in average IQ?
But you're Malaysian, aren't you? Totally different ethos to China. Singaporeans are probably more hardworking in general.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,713 times
Some childish chinese young girls do simple low-paid job voluntarily or do not work at all and expect boyfriends or husbands to give them money. Some choose to become prostitutes just because money comes fast. So we cannot generalise, there are lazy people out there.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 AM

101 posts, read 231,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
But you're Malaysian, aren't you? Totally different ethos to China. Singaporeans are probably more hardworking in general.
Yeah basically I'm saying that we're not inherently more hardworking, like it's programmed in our genes or something. But with that said the "hardworking Chinese" stereotype is also rather prevalent in Malaysia.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
Yeah basically I'm saying that we're not inherently more hardworking, like it's programmed in our genes or something. But with that said the "hardworking Chinese" stereotype is also rather prevalent in Malaysia.
No, of course not. Nor do I think traditional Chinese culture values hard work any more than most cultures, probably about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or