Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It was for over a thousand years (well part of the Chinese Empire at least) so the influence is profound. Most Vietnamese culture seems to be handed down from the Chinese. Singapore seems pretty tough, from what I know, very competitive, government encourages hard work, very little/no welfare even for the old. Yet Singaporeans love to shop and eat too.

For those interested in typical/stereotypical Singaporean life:

SINGAPORE DREAMING

part 2 is also available on YT
Oh I see. Also Singapore sounds like Hong Kong or NYC or something.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Oh I see. Also Singapore sounds like Hong Kong or NYC or something.
You mean the place? Yeah, actually parts of NY reminded me of S'pore or Hong Kong oddly enough, more the high-rise apartments. The family here are more Chinese, some Singaporeans are more westernised and mostly speak English.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You mean the place? Yeah, actually parts of NY reminded me of S'pore or Hong Kong oddly enough, more the high-rise apartments. The family here are more Chinese, some Singaporeans are more westernised and mostly speak English.
I mean't in terms of being competitive, hard, stressful, work to live, and dog eats dog world...

Old 01-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I mean't in terms of being competitive, hard, stressful, work to live, and dog eats dog world...
Yes, pretty much. I mean Singapore didn't come what it is today by chance.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,753 times
Japanese values duty and responsibility a lot more than other culture. A high standard and efficiency is expected and they apologize to superiors and customers even there is a very minor fault. Japan is a "shame society", expectation on people are so high that many people commit suicide.

Entertaining clients in hostess clubs is a Japanese thing and became popular in other east asian countries.
Such high class entertainment and prostitution is paid by the company. This never happen in the West.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It hasn't relaxed in Japan, as far as I can tell. In a past life, I managed my Japan sales channel partners and visited them 4 times a year and they always overachieved. Most of the folks worked at least 10-12 hours a day.
Still, the average work hours for a japanese employee is 33.6 hours per week, while it is 44.2 in Hong Kong.

It seems to me that some Japanese work very long hours, but the majority don't. Foreignes who come to Japan, meet high paid professionals who work long hours in Tokyo. And then assume all Japanese are similar to the few Japanese they met.

To give an example, while the average of Japan is 33.6 hours, in Tokyo it is 38.7.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:06 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I believe climate is a factor, not the only factor, in most of the world for the potential for workaholism, even within countries, regions where there's climate differences: northern U.S. vs. southern U.S., northern Europe vs. southern Europe, north Brazil vs. southern Brazil, south Australia vs. north Australia, north Italy vs. southern Italy.

I grew up in Minnesota, and you wonder why there's so many Fortune 500 companies up there in that region of the world, well, having lived there, with those long winters: What else is there to do but work! Work your hardest, and then? you'll be able to buy a getaway condo in Florida or AZ some day.

Northern & Central China get some pretty severe winter weather, and now with the smog problem, which can inhibit your outdoor activities, let's just work, work, work! If I work hard enough I'll be able to afford a home in the U.S. some day where I can breathe some better air!

When I lived in MN, I joined the crowd: work, work, work!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I believe climate is a factor, not the only factor, in most of the world for the potential for workaholism, even within countries, regions where there's climate differences: northern U.S. vs. southern U.S., northern Europe vs. southern Europe, north Brazil vs. southern Brazil, south Australia vs. north Australia, north Italy vs. southern Italy.

I grew up in Minnesota, and you wonder why there's so many Fortune 500 companies up there in that region of the world, well, having lived there, with those long winters: What else is there to do but work! Work your hardest, and then? you'll be able to buy a getaway condo in Florida or AZ some day.

Northern & Central China get some pretty severe winter weather, and now with the smog problem, which can inhibit your outdoor activities, let's just work, work, work! If I work hard enough I'll be able to afford a home in the U.S. some day where I can breathe some better air!

When I lived in MN, I joined the crowd: work, work, work!
I suppose Singapore is an exception to that rule, but then again there are air-conditioned buildings for people to retreat too. Maybe they just work to stay warm? lol. In hot places it's harder to expend energy.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
In reverse: It's so hot and humid, I'm going to just stay in my air-conditioned office and work, work, work! No fun, being outside and sweating like a bullet, and battling the insects!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 AM

9 posts, read 19,879 times
What are the reasons for countries to be richer per capita than those in warmer regions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia