U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:16 PM

914 posts, read 551,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Oh, I believe you that Chinese may think like that. Thats why I'd rather ask non-Chinese.
I bet most intelligent Chinese nationals who's actually been to Japan don't think that except for Chinese-specific amenities.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 548,404 times
IMO Hanoi bears close resemblance to Guangzhou 30 years ago. Their customs are quite similar, especially Tet/Lunar New Year.

In fact, Pearl River Valley and Red River Valley used to be under one administration for several hundred years.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
ask any Chinese. they would think life quality in CHina is higher than Japan.

If you like eating nuke contaminated food, go to japan
Japanese are very cautious people. They will not feed nuke contaminated food to their own people. Most likely they are exported and end up in the stomach of foreigners.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:49 PM

600 posts, read 361,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Vietnam is a not a quiet country. The roar of motorbikes starts at 5am and doesn't stop until 10pm, but than you'll start hearing motorbike racing after hours when the streets start to clear up a bit.

It's a very very loud country.

That being said, Chinese are equally loud as people. Not as many as the loud roaring motorbikes though, so it could actually be a little quieter at times.

For me, I'd prefer Vietnam over China. I just prefer the culture, the food, the architecture, etc. But, it's definitely not a quiet place. Pollution-wise, while Vietnam isn't well-known for pollution like China, it wouldn't be a pollution-free place by any stretch.
lol. the "culture, the food, and architecture". Vietnam is heavily influenced by Chinese Culture, food and
architecture.

Pho for example was invented by Chinese migrants.

Chinese migrants help rebuild Vietnam to what it is today. Just like how the Chinese help build Thailand.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:01 PM

661 posts, read 584,354 times
Whenever I travel to Vietnam, usually Saigon, It feels like Guangdong 15 or 20 years ago. Lots of similarities. The people however have differences. Vietnamese seem to be more direct and open whereas Chinese are always cautious on what they say, and at times, try to be "Smart" by letting others speak first and just sit back and listen. I personally like the Vietnamese approach which is more easy going, and let's for more genuine conversations and relationships/friendships.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
lol. the "culture, the food, and architecture". Vietnam is heavily influenced by Chinese Culture, food and
architecture.

Pho for example was invented by Chinese migrants.

Chinese migrants help rebuild Vietnam to what it is today. Just like how the Chinese help build Thailand.
The architecture in Vietnam is heavily French-influenced....Hanoi's French Quarter has some of the most beautiful architecture in Asia.

The food also has a French-influence (you see French bread everywhere), and you have some Thai and Cambodian influences. The cuisine is different and unique. I much prefer Vietnamese cuisine over most Chinese cuisine. Just as much as I prefer Korean or Japanese cuisine over Chinese food.

Every culture in Asia has Chinese influence, and Vietnam one of the more heavily influenced. That being said, I much prefer Vietnamese culture to Chinese culture. I feel like they went in the right direction with that culture, as did South Korea and Japan with what their culture, although all are Chinese-influenced.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:49 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
you think OP rates Japan as 9 and China as 3 is reliable?

many cities in China have higher quality of life than Japan

If you think HK has pretty much the same level of life quality as Japan,
then Shanghai, beijing, shenzhen all have similar level of life quality as HK
Well, not only have you not been to Japan, it appears you also haven't been to Hong Kong.

I''ve been to all of those cities you've listed here...Shenzhen being the worst.

Hong Kong and Tokyo are international cities, international powerhouses, they have been for a long time, those two cities along with New York and London, are said to be the four cities, that almost all money goes through.

That kind of money just permeates, and that cosmopolitan combined of being huge powerhouses. They are also 4 cities with fantastic legal systems that protect international money and investments.

Shenzhen is just a mess of sprawl and a sudden influx of 10 million people. Quality of life is extremely low on their agenda. How to move people from A to B has been on their agenda, and how to provide shopping for them all. There has been little time to develop much more than that.

Beijing and Shanghai are becoming international. But, the legalities of doing business there is an absolute killer. They need a better legal system, something that HK (British Law), Japan, New York, and London do quite well. Good laws that protect businesses are critical for any city to even begin to encourage a higher quality of life with all of the other things that come with it.

Beijing/Shanghai are both polluted messes, that continue to destroy and replace large swaths of their city...construct extremely poor buildings that are not up to any code. That continue to have horror stories of the legal system killing foreign and international investment. It's the wild west in China. Than you have all of the social inappropriate behaviors on top of that - i.e. ****ting, pissing, spitting, yelling, shouting, arguing on the streets.... it's not very conducive to being a 'nice' place with a 'high quality of life' by most measurements.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 PM

I would say Vietnamese culture had been under Cantonese influence.

Ho Chi Minh spoke very fluent Cantonese and had a Cantonese wife and lived in Guangzhou for some years. The founding place of the Vietnam Communist Party was in a building in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Ho had been arrested by the British in Hong Kong and almost extradited to French IndoChina. Ironically he was saved by a human right lawyer. But Ho had been in Chinese prison.

Vietnamese cuisine is quite different from Cantonese cuisine. For example, there are a lot of herbs used in Vietnamese cooking, i.e. mint, Cilantro,...etc. And a lot of uncooked vegetable is used in Vietnamese cuisine while almost everything in Cantonese cuisine is cooked.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:43 PM

661 posts, read 584,354 times
I didn't know that Ian about HCM and his background. Interesting, thanks.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 AM

600 posts, read 361,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The architecture in Vietnam is heavily French-influenced....Hanoi's French Quarter has some of the most beautiful architecture in Asia.

The food also has a French-influence (you see French bread everywhere), and you have some Thai and Cambodian influences. The cuisine is different and unique. I much prefer Vietnamese cuisine over most Chinese cuisine. Just as much as I prefer Korean or Japanese cuisine over Chinese food.

Every culture in Asia has Chinese influence, and Vietnam one of the more heavily influenced. That being said, I much prefer Vietnamese culture to Chinese culture. I feel like they went in the right direction with that culture, as did South Korea and Japan with what their culture, although all are Chinese-influenced.

LOL, Hanoi French Quarter. That's just 1 section. The rest is heavily Chinese influenced. I still see Chinese character's in certain areas.

Heck, Vietnam at one point use to use Chinese Characters. A lot of Vietnamese words today derived from Chinese words.

Every Vietnamese restaurant I would go to I would see 70% Chinese influenced food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or