U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,626,223 times

Advertisements

Aside from the Japanese expatriates sent by their families on contracts, there are also a number of single Japanese women who come to HK for professional opportunities that they can't get back in Tokyo due to gender barriers/social expectations. Quite a number of them learn and speak Mandarin/Cantonese, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,626,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Some international, non-Japanese MNCs voiced during the Fukushima crisis that if Tokyo became very not suitable, they will move their Asia heaquarters to HK very quickly. Emergency move plans were made. That means both Non-Japanese and Japanese staff had to move to HK if situation worsen.
Actually, Yaohan did open their office in HK years ago (before they went bust). Nissan has put their Infiniti HQ in Hong Kong (with a non-Japanese executive heading the operation). So it's there.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,020,006 times
Default Reason: Hong Kong is an international destination city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Hong Kong is part of China and the Chinese don't like the Japanese. So I am wondering why it would become more desirable for Japanese people.
Hong Kong is on my bucket list because all the people I've ever met from HK are very international in their outlook. As one of the true "destination" cities HK has always looked outward.

China doesn't screw with it for that reason; it's too valuable; it would be like the USA deliberately destroying New York.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,892,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Aside from the Japanese expatriates sent by their families on contracts, there are also a number of single Japanese women who come to HK for professional opportunities that they can't get back in Tokyo due to gender barriers/social expectations. Quite a number of them learn and speak Mandarin/Cantonese, too.
Saw/met quite a few women there and found a lot of nice looking HK women, so i thought...on closer inspection, they were actually Japanese women who spoke fluent Cantonese/Mandarin...

Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,816,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Pretty much. The Japanese are pretty much universally disliked throughout eastern Asia. OP is, like many young people in the US go through with Canada, gong through a sort of honeymoon phase with Japan. Young, unskilled, but intensely wants to move to Country X at any and all cost tomorrow or next week, etc.
Which Asian countries are these? If you mean China and the Koreas, you are correct; if you mean all of Asia, this is definitely NOT true. The Philippines have great relations with Japan and in fact a lot of Filipinos are pro Japanese. Taiwan is also known for being very pro Japanese while being anti Chinese and anti Korean. Thais also like the Japanese and Vietnam and the rest of Southeast Asia do not have any specific hatred towards the Japanese. 82% of Indonesians in a BBC poll said that Japan has a positive influence around the world. A lot of HKers also have more animosity towards the Mainland Chinese than the Japanese btw.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:02 AM

38 posts, read 70,041 times
I don't think so, Hong Kong is just a small place and won't accept much settlers.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times
Yeah it's funny many Asians prefer Japan to China despite recent history...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah it's funny many Asians prefer Japan to China despite recent history...
Somehow, I don't think that's true. We receive many more east Asian immigrants in North America every year than Japan does in a decade...

Even in your own country there's hordes of Chinese moving down under (isn't your family one of them? ). They are lining up at the immigration lines at Kingsford Smith and Tullamarine, not Kansai or Narita. Even in my state, the Mexican wave is over. The newest arrivals continue to come from China; and now South Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and the Philippines

Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Somehow, I don't think that's true. We receive many more east Asian immigrants in North America every year than Japan does in a decade...

Even in your own country there's hordes of Chinese moving down under (isn't your family one of them? ). They are lining up at the immigration lines at Kingsford Smith and Tullamarine, not Kansai or Narita. Even in my state, the Mexican wave is over. The newest arrivals continue to come from China; and now South Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and the Philippines
Singapore and Malaysia, but we have ancestors from China going further back.

And I'm not talking about immigration, Asians seem to love Japanese pop culture and Japan, while being suspicious and wary of China.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:08 AM

65 posts, read 74,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Saw/met quite a few women there and found a lot of nice looking HK women, so i thought...on closer inspection, they were actually Japanese women who spoke fluent Cantonese/Mandarin...
I have noticed that too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or